Expansion Rumors…

The Big 12 is straight öööö right now. There is not one in conference game anyone gives a öööö about.
Dude, what are you talking about? It's easily the most competitive conference. Last year outside of Oklahoma and Texas, there was no conference game with a point spread larger than 7 points. Now, those two are gone. They're gonna beat the öööö out of each other next year. When Tech isn't playing, the B12 is what I'll be watching.

Dude, what are you talking about? It's easily the most competitive conference. Last year outside of Oklahoma and Texas, there was no conference game with a point spread larger than 7 points. Now, those two are gone. They're gonna beat the öööö out of each other next year. When Tech isn't playing, the B12 is what I'll be watching.
That is kind of what happens when you have a conference full of mediocre teams. Then it's best team gets curb stomped in the playoffs 65 - 7.

The Big 12 is straight öööö right now. There is not one in conference game anyone gives a öööö about.
Really? Let’s see. They have a CFP MNC game team in (TCU) to go along with Utah who has won the P12 numerous times recently. Let’s also add in Oklahoma State, UCF, Baylor, Cincy, etc who have all played in NY6 bowls lately.

Outside of Clemson and FSU, what has the ACC done lately?

But please enlighten everyone how good the ACC / any leverage the ACC will have post Clemson/FSU leaving.

That is kind of what happens when you have a conference full of mediocre teams. Then it's best team gets curb stomped in the playoffs 65 - 7.
And what teams from the ACC aren’t “mediocre” in your mind? People love to claim the soon to be gone Clemson is on the decline, so let’s examine the rest.

2023:

#2 UofL finished 10-4 with 3 consecutive losses, and a loss to Pitt.
#3 NCSU finished 9-4, and has 1 10+ win season in their history.
T#4 GT, VT both were in rebuild seasons and finished 7-6.
#6 Clemson finished 9-4
T#7 UNC, Duke finished 8-5
T#9 Miami, BC finished 7-6
T#11 Syracuse finished 6-7
T#11 Pitt finished 3-9
#13 UVA finished 3-9
#14 Wake finished 4-8

B12 top returning teams:

Okie State 10-4
KSU 9-4
WVU 9-4
KU 9-4
Arizona 10-3
Utah 8-5

Rest of the league had 7-6, 6-7 or below teams like the ACC. But yep, the ACC is so much better than the B12…..Nope.

And what teams from the ACC aren’t “mediocre” in your mind? People love to claim the soon to be gone Clemson is on the decline, so let’s examine the rest.

2023:

#2 UofL finished 10-4 with 3 consecutive losses, and a loss to Pitt.
#3 NCSU finished 9-4, and has 1 10+ win season in their history.
T#4 GT, VT both were in rebuild seasons and finished 7-6.
#6 Clemson finished 9-4
T#7 UNC, Duke finished 8-5
T#9 Miami, BC finished 7-6
T#11 Syracuse finished 6-7
T#11 Pitt finished 3-9
#13 UVA finished 3-9
#14 Wake finished 4-8

B12 top returning teams:

Okie State 10-4
KSU 9-4
WVU 9-4
KU 9-4
Arizona 10-3
Utah 8-5

Rest of the league had 7-6, 6-7 or below teams like the ACC. But yep, the ACC is so much better than the B12…..Nope.
Dude, I never said the ACC teams are any better. Beyond Clemson and the recent resurgence of FSU (lets hold off a few years before we anoint them as an upper echelon team), the ACC is full of mediocre to bad teams also. After the conference implosion it will only be fitting for them to merge with B12. Someone will rise to the top to be the sacrificial curb stomp victim in the playoffs.

Right before that beat down, they beat a damn good Michigan team that, as it turns out, was only one year from a national title themselves.

Really? Let’s see. They have a CFP MNC game team in (TCU) to go along with Utah who has won the P12 numerous times recently. Let’s also add in Oklahoma State, UCF, Baylor, Cincy, etc who have all played in NY6 bowls lately.

Outside of Clemson and FSU, what has the ACC done lately?

But please enlighten everyone how good the ACC / any leverage the ACC will have post Clemson/FSU leaving.
I know you're just typing to be a contradictive ass, but I am going to respond anyway. TCU got curb stomped by D. Sanders and a Utah PAC 12 champ doesn't mean öööö, noone cared enough to try to save that öööö conference. Noone cares about any team you mentioned in the big 12 that didn't go to the school. The ACC will still have national brands without the two whiney ass schools that think they are more important than they are.

You may as well tune in to the big sky conference, just as relevant as any big 12 team not Kansas during basketball season. No team moves a football fan meter.

Dude, I never said the ACC teams are any better. Beyond Clemson and the recent resurgence of FSU (lets hold off a few years before we anoint them as an upper echelon team), the ACC is full of mediocre to bad teams also. After the conference implosion it will only be fitting for them to merge with B12. Someone will rise to the top to be the sacrificial curb stomp victim in the playoffs.
Agreed. Which is why a proactive move to merge the 2 leagues when the Clemson/FSU dominos officially fall is the best option. This would all for TV negotiations and ensure CFB isn’t just 2 leagues.

I know you're just typing to be a contradictive ass, but I am going to respond anyway. TCU got curb stomped by D. Sanders and a Utah PAC 12 champ doesn't mean öööö, noone cared enough to try to save that öööö conference. Noone cares about any team you mentioned in the big 12 that didn't go to the school. The ACC will still have national brands without the two whiney ass schools that think they are more important than they are.
I know this may be news to you, but the P12 going the way of the dinosaur is very much why the ACC is in the same boat as the P12 2 years ago. The lack of revenue/outdated TV deal vs the other leagues (B1G, sec). USC (carrying UCLA with them) negotiated their way to the B1G. Doesn’t that sound familiar to the current situation with Clemson/FSU?

Also, unlike the ACC in a few years, the P12 went out as the best conference in America last year.

Hate to tell you (since you’ve obviously never lived in other parts of the country) but no one pays attention to ACC football teams from a national level not named Clemson, FSU or Miami (personally I don’t get the “U” love) out west and on the west coast. For hoops, it’s UNC, Duke. Just how it is. That pretty much applies to all “bigger names” regardless of conference.

So when Clemson/FSU leave, that will leave 1 “national” brand in Miami from national football perspective. And from all indications, the next dominos to fall will be a combo of UNC, UVA, Miami, Duke / NCSU, SMU and GT.

When push comes to shove will Sankey really let Clemson/FSU go to the B1G over the sec? “Rumors” of the sec not being interested right now is one thing, but when they officially leave is when the truth will come out.

So if no one cares about Utah, BYU, TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Colorado, etc. What makes you think anyone cares about Syracuse, Pitt, BC, UVA, VT, Wake, etc?

That’s why the ACC/B12 need to figure out a merger now.

USC,
Totally agree with your reasoning. While I love watching ACC football, no one else cares. And while I believe the ACC is a better football conference than they get credit for, that means very little. Our leadership has simply walked this conference to the edge of the cliff over a 30 year timeframe while the leaders looted us along the way. So, here we are, zero leverage with our best teams looking to bail. Let it just end at this point because the BIG/SEC will not let any of our teams in a playoff accept the team with the auto bid and we are just limping at this point. Let’s just hope our GT leadership is preparing for the end.

The merger idea with the Big 12 is spot on. The problem will be high paid staffs unwilling for the merged league to cut unneeded payroll. Add Washington State and Oregon State and start at 36 even if Clemson and/or FSU leave. You are a large, competitive coast to coast conference. It makes sense. There will be more poaching. Just add the best to be next school up.

The merger idea with the Big 12 is spot on. The problem will be high paid staffs unwilling for the merged league to cut unneeded payroll. Add Washington State and Oregon State and start at 36 even if Clemson and/or FSU leave. You are a large, competitive coast to coast conference. It makes sense. There will be more poaching. Just add the best to be next school up.
The addition of those 2 along with maybe Boise State is a good idea as well. You could really create Pods to alleviate travel.

I am against merging. What does a thirty team league do? Long travel, many games against foes I could care less about. You have to remember that when fsu joined they were still just starting to compete. Clemson was no better than us or vpi. Now Clemson has risen, congrats to them. If Tevh keeps on raising $130M a year, we could rise ourselves again.

I am against merging. What does a thirty team league do? Long travel, many games against foes I could care less about. You have to remember that when fsu joined they were still just starting to compete. Clemson was no better than us or vpi. Now Clemson has risen, congrats to them. If Tevh keeps on raising $130M a year, we could rise ourselves again.

Just starting to compete? Seems to me they had been very competitive for quite some time before joining the ACC in 1992 - here are the records for the preceding 16 years since Bowden became head coach. Seems like they ended up #2 quite a few times during that run, usually because they could be everyone except Miami.

1991 11–2
1990 10–2
1989 10–2
1988 11–1
1987 11–1
1986 7–4–1
1985 9–3
1984 7–3–2
1983 8–4-1
1982 9–3
1981 6–5
1980 10–2
1979 11–1
1978 8–3
1977 10–2
1976 5-6

Looking through a couple of seasons at random - 1987, Went 4-1 against Miami, Mich St, Auburn, Florida, Nebraska (2-1 vs top 10 teams), played 4 top 10 teams went 2-2 (their only 2 losses). I mean, of course öööö FSU, but still...

I honestly would love the variety of playing different good, not great, teams each year both home and away, along with a couple of perennial or biennial rivals.
Much better than year after year of Duke, WF, Syracuse, UNC, UVA……

It will good competition, and I think it actually would help create interest in our home games from non-GT football fans who rarely get to see some of these other teams. I liken the variety of away games to my quest of attending baseball in every MLB park before I die.

I honestly would love the variety of playing different good, not great, teams each year both home and away, along with a couple of perennial or biennial rivals.
Much better than year after year of Duke, WF, Syracuse, UNC, UVA……

It will good competition, and I think it actually would help create interest in our home games from non-GT football fans who rarely get to see some of these other teams. I liken the variety of away games to my quest of attending baseball in every MLB park before I die.
I couldn’t agree more. Playing UNC, Duke, Wake, even Miami does nothing for me any more. I am looking forward to going to Boulder and Dallas soon. Can’t wait to go to Palo Alto either. We can still play all these traditional ACC teams too, just not every freaking year. There is a bug world out there outside our little 4 state bubble.

Just be better. Can I stroke a million dollar check, no. It seems, we brag about being the institution making people a mil. Well, maybe we need Coach Brent Key to show us that nobody is running through that defense. Show us Coach.

Just be better. Can I stroke a million dollar check, no. It seems, we brag about being the institution making people a mil. Well, maybe we need Coach Brent Key to show us that nobody is running through that defense. Show us Coach.
Yes. This is the way.

I spent a good bit of time researching Duke's rushing D in 2022 and 2023 to see the "effect" of adding Santucci as DC but my research was, to put it bluntly, inconclusive. So while I am on board with your point, regrettably, I'm unable to offer much support for it.

That's not to say that I don't think our run D won't be a lot better this year but it does mean that I'll be looking for that evidence in person in Dublin. F$U lost their best RB so I'll be watching Q1 rushing stats for F$U very closely.

Last edited:
Sorry, meant to say I can’t hand the AA a million dollars. I can invest more time and money. Give me a reason. I respect what CBK did last year and what I say next isn’t towards him at this point. If the product on the field is mediocre the fans will be also.

Give me a reason to give and do more.

Back