Expansion Rumors…

I am against merging. What does a thirty team league do? Long travel, many games against foes I could care less about. You have to remember that when fsu joined they were still just starting to compete. Clemson was no better than us or vpi. Now Clemson has risen, congrats to them. If Tevh keeps on raising $130M a year, we could rise ourselves again.
If the ACC/B12 merged into 1, why do you assume long travel? It would be better than the current ACC with 2 teams in California. The merged league could setup regional pods (after adding a few more schools). Below is an example with the loss of Clemson/FSU from the ACC, and adding Oregon State, Washington State, Memphis and Boise State.

North:
Pitt, BC, Syracuse, WVU, VT - Former Big East rivals.

Mid-Atlantic:
Louisville, Cincy, UNC, Duke, UVA - Keep the 2 crying ACC mainstays together (UNC/Duke)

Southeast:
GT, UCF, Wake, Miami, NCSU

Southwest:
Houston, Baylor, ASU, Arizona, Texas Tech - Keep the 2 AZ schools together.

South central:
TCU, SMU, Oklahoma State, ISU, Memphis*

Mountain West:
BYU, Colorado, Kansas, KSU, Boise State* - Keep the 2 Kansas schools together.

West:
Utah, Stanford, Cal, WSU*, Oregon State* - Get a small semblance of the P10/P12 back together.

As far as comparing GT in 2024 to Clemson starting in 2010 or FSU in 1992, is a bit of a stretch. The overall landscape has change immensely from both time periods. $130 million is nice and all, but SMU has raised over $160 million. That’s SMU with no tier 1 $$$ from the ACC.

FSU, Clemson are receiving tier 1 $$$ from the ACC, and already have the NIL advantage over GT. There are programs with larger NIL collectives compared to GT struggling, because others have even bigger ones. Oregon is crushing it right now with the help of Phil Knight. Where is GT’s Phil Knight?

GT needs a Phil Knight type booster, combined with reflection of looking into the mirror as a school, and knocking down the academic restrictions for perspective SA’s. The likelihood they finish at GT when it’s all said and done is less than 50% anyway based on the CFB Portal trends.

If the ACC/B12 merged into 1, why do you assume long travel? It would be better than the current ACC with 2 teams in California. The merged league could setup regional pods (after adding a few more schools). Below is an example with the loss of Clemson/FSU from the ACC, and adding Oregon State, Washington State, Memphis and Boise State.

North:
Pitt, BC, Syracuse, WVU, VT - Former Big East rivals.

Mid-Atlantic:
Louisville, Cincy, UNC, Duke, UVA - Keep the 2 crying ACC mainstays together (UNC/Duke)

Southeast:
GT, UCF, Wake, Miami, NCSU

Southwest:
Houston, Baylor, ASU, Arizona, Texas Tech - Keep the 2 AZ schools together.

South central:
TCU, SMU, Oklahoma State, ISU, Memphis*

Mountain West:
BYU, Colorado, Kansas, KSU, Boise State* - Keep the 2 Kansas schools together.

West:
Utah, Stanford, Cal, WSU*, Oregon State* - Get a small semblance of the P10/P12 back together.

As far as comparing GT in 2024 to Clemson starting in 2010 or FSU in 1992, is a bit of a stretch. The overall landscape has change immensely from both time periods. $130 million is nice and all, but SMU has raised over $160 million. That’s SMU with no tier 1 $$$ from the ACC.

FSU, Clemson are receiving tier 1 $$$ from the ACC, and already have the NIL advantage over GT. There are programs with larger NIL collectives compared to GT struggling, because others have even bigger ones. Oregon is crushing it right now with the help of Phil Knight. Where is GT’s Phil Knight?

GT needs a Phil Knight type booster, combined with reflection of looking into the mirror as a school, and knocking down the academic restrictions for perspective SA’s. The likelihood they finish at GT when it’s all said and done is less than 50% anyway based on the CFB Portal trends.
It would be better if the ACC simply put all of its eggs in the football first bucket. Make bonuses for out of conference wins based on opponent. As much as I don’t care for them VT, UNC, NCSU, Miami, BC Miami maybe even Pitt all have the ability to be top 25 programs if they got their öööö together. GT does also.
The SEC is the top conference athletically because they prioritized football and have large numbers of players in their area. The ACC prioritized basketball and now the SEC rivals the ACC. If football is making money it helps every other sport in the school, it also helps the school itself.
Leaving out West Virginia because of academics was stupid. They are a solid mid tier program with years that they do better. It’s called an athletic conference for a reason. Every school controls how prestigious their own schools are in terms of academics. Likely every school in the ACC would split for the Big or SEC immediately if they could. Why does the conference decide who not to admit because of academics? I know it’s school representatives voting on this. Tell me why they would split for a “dumber” conference but not let “dumber” schools into this one?

The whole mega conference crap is crap and driven purely by dollars and has destroyed years of rivalry and also geographic rivalry.
Of course schools have to respond once the dominoes start falling, but I would rather go back to normal regional conferences and no playoff. There is room in 130 teams to have more than one champion. In fact, I think it makes college football better. This striving for emulating the NFL seems stupid to me

If the Big Ten had added GT and Maryland instead of Rutgers, I wonder if the ACC would already be dead and the Pac XII still extant.

The whole mega conference crap is crap and driven purely by dollars and has destroyed years of rivalry and also geographic rivalry.
Of course schools have to respond once the dominoes start falling, but I would rather go back to normal regional conferences and no playoff. There is room in 130 teams to have more than one champion. In fact, I think it makes college football better. This striving for emulating the NFL seems stupid to me
You mean like when the ACC raided the Big East (starting the whole mega conference nonsense) for everyone except WVU (who should have been in the ACC)? Keep in mind, it took the Virginia government stepping in to force the ACC to take VT.

A merger of the ACC/B12 into pods could bring back the geographic rivalries as I showed yesterday.

You mean like when the ACC raided the Big East (starting the whole mega conference nonsense) for everyone except WVU (who should have been in the ACC)? Keep in mind, it took the Virginia government stepping in to force the ACC to take VT.

A merger of the ACC/B12 into pods could bring back the geographic rivalries as I showed yesterday.
No I don't mean that. I mean mega conferences where teams don't all play each other every year and are nowhere near each other geographically, as stated in my post

No I don't mean that. I mean mega conferences where teams don't all play each other every year and are nowhere near each other geographically, as stated in my post
And who started it all again? Sorry. But let’s not act like Boston, Syracuse, Pitt are exactly close to GT, Clemson, FSU, Miami as it is now. The ACC has always been the complete opposite of the B1G, B12, sec and the former P12 in that regard.

The only outlier the B1G had previously was Nebraska. The sec was Mizzou. The former P12 Arizona, ASU, Colorado. But even those 3 schools were much easier travel wise vs going to Syracuse, Boston.

If the Big Ten had added GT and Maryland instead of Rutgers, I wonder if the ACC would already be dead and the Pac XII still extant.
P12 died due to former conference commissioner Larry Scott doing a horrible job with media rights. They were the first conference to have a network, but failed to get an agreement like the B1G (FOX), sec (ESPN) did. Follow that up with being relegated to 10:30-11 pm games on the P12 network, etc was a sticking point to a lot of coaches, which in their minds gave them a disadvantage to the media coverage and perception. P12 hired George Kliavkoff who was supposed to fix the media rights/TV contract problems. COVID didn’t help, and when USC/UCLA said “we’re done” it was up to George to fix it. After all the negotiations with ESPN, FOX, etc, all he could come up with in the end was a deal with Apple that had a potential for more $$$ based on subscriptions. The P12 teams would have been making on average $20 million less than the now outdated ACC deal. That same day was the official end of the P12 if you remember when Oregon, Washington skipped the call with the P12 and took a reduced rate to go to the B1G.

Athlon predicting GT to the B1G with FSU, Clemson, and Miami??

The Big Ten Gets Bigger
After Florida State and Clemson receive clarity on their lawsuit against the ACC, the Big Ten moves fast and adds these two programs into the conference. But that's not all: The conference also invites Georgia Tech and Miami to move to become a 22-team league.

https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...ege-football-conference-realignment-expansion

Yes but I want Tech to play in the top of the sport. Not anything less.

It is a shame that the only thing wrong with the ACC, and college football in general, is greed.
Wrong. College football is finally getting right. The past 40-50 years have been a total fabrication with the NCAA picking winners and losers using “enforcement” as the joke. Most of you have been suckered into watching a fake sport. Bama, UGA, Oklahoma, Nebraska, etc we’re all paying players while being protected. Every record in this sport has an asterisk.

Now that the NCAA has been stripped of its enforcement and with playoff expansion and paying players legally it’s about to be a legit sport for the first time in a long time. If Bama buys enough players to win the Natty at least they did it in an open market. And they don’t have to sic the NCAA on UAB to do it.

I honestly would love the variety of playing different good, not great, teams each year both home and away, along with a couple of perennial or biennial rivals.
Much better than year after year of Duke, WF, Syracuse, UNC, UVA……

It will good competition, and I think it actually would help create interest in our home games from non-GT football fans who rarely get to see some of these other teams. I liken the variety of away games to my quest of attending baseball in every MLB park before I die.
Tech has a chance to set up a good new ACC. It used to be good at 8 teams, then 9. Now y’all want to travel and see Iowa state, Texas tech, Memphis, etc.

If the Big 12 setup pods, then it would help. Have a mini playoff to become champion May drive in money too…Otherwise I’d be happy with a southeast conference of Miami, GT, Tulane, Memphis, UL, SMU, Duke, NCS, VPI and call it a day. Or add Stanford and Cal who I think are going to be great for the ACC.

Tech has a chance to set up a good new ACC. It used to be good at 8 teams, then 9. Now y’all want to travel and see Iowa state, Texas tech, Memphis, etc.

If the Big 12 setup pods, then it would help. Have a mini playoff to become champion May drive in money too…Otherwise I’d be happy with a southeast conference of Miami, GT, Tulane, Memphis, UL, SMU, Duke, NCS, VPI and call it a day. Or add Stanford and Cal who I think are going to be great for the ACC.
So you’d be content with a G5 level conference that doesn’t have enough teams to have a conference championship game? Which also means no guaranteed CFP bid for the league of 11 misfits you mentioned, nor a TV deal. I’m sure GT the school would be real happy with the thought of being on the same level as Kennesaw State and Georgia Southern.

The advantage the ACC could have is SMU, Stanford, and Cal grads are richer than FSU and Clemson grads. Just have to get them to like football. SMU is starting to flex, having just raised $130 million+ in their last fundraising go around.

It would be nice to see FSU and Clemson becoming like Mississippi State

The advantage the ACC could have is SMU, Stanford, and Cal grads are richer than FSU and Clemson grads. Just have to get them to like football. SMU is starting to flex, having just raised $130 million+ in their last fundraising go around.

It would be nice to see FSU and Clemson becoming like Mississippi State
If they end up in the sec they will be.

So you’d be content with a G5 level conference that doesn’t have enough teams to have a conference championship game? Which also means no guaranteed CFP bid for the league of 11 misfits you mentioned, nor a TV deal. I’m sure GT the school would be real happy with the thought of being on the same level as Kennesaw State and Georgia Southern.
Why are yo so scared of the Big12. They are no better than a weakened ACC, one that has huge viewership potential.
ACC:
Atl #9
SMU. #4
Stan/Cal. #12
Miami #7

Back