Expansion Rumors…

Why are yo so scared of the Big12. They are no better than a weakened ACC, one that has huge viewership potential.
ACC:
Atl #9
SMU. #4
Stan/Cal. #12
Miami #7
The heck are you talking about? I’ve stated twice already in this thread, and I’ll repeat it for you. I’m 1000% in agreement with Wes Durham and Rick Neuheisel that the ACC/B12 need to merge sooner rather than later in order to preserve a 3rd conference. Whether that’s at the disposal of Jim Phillips, who really cares? Brett Yormark has already proven to be a better conference commissioner in his short tenure at the helm vs anything Phillips has done to date.

Clemson/FSU are gone. So do the right thing and preserve some semblance of the league by merging with B12 which will allow negotiating opportunities to at least bridge the ocean sized gap between what the ACC/B12 schools get annually vs the B1G/sec schools.

Because Phillips has done absolutely nothing except be the first commissioner to ever see his undefeated champion sitting at home during the playoffs. But he did give a great interview from his car from his kids soccer game while his conference burned.
That doesn't make Yormark a commissioner of whom I'd entrust the future of GT athletics.

No, but he did have his 1 loss conference champ in the dance while the undefeated acc champ sat at home.
Texas? He did not do a damn thing to get Texas to the game other than sit his fat ass behind his desk. Texas didn't give a damn about BIG12 at that point.

And how's that?
Yorkmark came in and saved and elevated conference that lost it’s 2 top brands. That’s what he did.

1. When it looked Ike the P12 was going to eventually raid the B12, Yormark landed UCF, Houston, Cincy, BYU. Follow that up with Utah, ASU, Arizona, Colorado.

2. Yormark renegotiated the B12 media deal. Yormark continues to elevate the B12.

So the real question is, what the hell has Phillips done? You know, other than losing Clemson/FSU, and pretty much setting the ACC up to become the dinosaur like Big East football, and the P12.

So yes, if the ACC/B12 merge into 1, Yormark is without a doubt the person I’d want leading negotiations for a new media deal and running the league.

I will take back every bad thought I’ve had about Phillips if he takes GT with him to the BIG when gets his new job at his old employer as the Executive Coffee Distributor for Pettiti.

Yorkmark came in and saved and elevated conference that lost it’s 2 top brands. That’s what he did.

1. When it looked Ike the P12 was going to eventually raid the B12, Yormark landed UCF, Houston, Cincy, BYU. Follow that up with Utah, ASU, Arizona, Colorado.

2. Yormark renegotiated the B12 media deal. Yormark continues to elevate the B12.

So the real question is, what the hell has Phillips done? You know, other than losing Clemson/FSU, and pretty much setting the ACC up to become the dinosaur like Big East football, and the P12.

So yes, if the ACC/B12 merge into 1, Yormark is without a doubt the person I’d want leading negotiations for a new media deal and running the league.

ACC really missed the boat with the PAC. They could have had a pretty decent market with 16 schools.

East:
vt, uva, unc, ncst, clem, fsu, gt, miami
West:
stan, au, wsu, osu, utah, cal, co, asu

1 home/away with opposite division. Round robin in division. It wouldn’t compete with the two heavy weights, but would be better than the current setup.

The problem is that the XII TV deal is still less than the ACC when you add in the ACC Network monies. The question becomes who does the ACC want to add once Clemson and FSU leave and who does ESPN want to pay for.

Also while folks say Tulane and RICE the issue is that their athletic budgets are no where close to P4 level. So once you take into consideration the teams we can add have to come from the XII or a handful of G5 programs: UCONN, USF, SDSU, Colorado St, Oregon St, and Wazzu. So add in a few XII teams ( not sure who all signed the GORs, you are looking at Utah and Kansas maybe??)

I do believe that their our programs like Tulane and Rice that the ACC has spoken to and have stated what they would need to do from a Budgetary standpoint to become a expansion candidate.

We need to follow Clemson and FSU out the door.
The Big 10 is the only viable option. Anything else is a failure.

I agree. We need to borrow against our endowment if necessary, but this is a fight for survival in big time college football. If we have an invite to the P2, pay whatever negotiated exit fee/GOR payment and move on to long term security, even if it hurts financially for a short term.

Do you really think $70 million a year in media rights would be a big deal for motivated Stanford alums? SMU isn't even asking for a cut of ACC media rights.
So you really don't think FSU & Clemson will become like Mississippi State if they join the SEC. DA

The problem is that the XII TV deal is still less than the ACC when you add in the ACC Network monies. The question becomes who does the ACC want to add once Clemson and FSU leave and who does ESPN want to pay for.

Also while folks say Tulane and RICE the issue is that their athletic budgets are no where close to P4 level. So once you take into consideration the teams we can add have to come from the XII or a handful of G5 programs: UCONN, USF, SDSU, Colorado St, Oregon St, and Wazzu. So add in a few XII teams ( not sure who all signed the GORs, you are looking at Utah and Kansas maybe??)

I do believe that their our programs like Tulane and Rice that the ACC has spoken to and have stated what they would need to do from a Budgetary standpoint to become an expansion candidate.
The $$$ ESPN is paying the ACC is only truly through 2027 as it currently stands. And with Clemson/FSU leaving, ESPN has the simple “we’re done” clause in place.

An ACC/B12 merger allows for a newly negotiated TV deal worth more $$$.

No one from the B12 is leaving the B12 for the ACC now. The ACC had that chance and blew it by not inviting WVU, UCF, etc when they had the chance. From a geographic standpoint, the B12 100% has the advantage to remain as the 3rd major conference. The ACC is soon to end up with the same fate they started when destroying the Big East in football. Gone.

Talking to Tulane and Rice? Really? Might as well join the Sun Belt if that’s the case. No one is going to stay in the ACC with a program like Rice joining.

ACC/ESPN deal.

Gotta hand it to some of you — only true fans can do the mental gymnastics needed to say things are ok in any scenario that doesn’t include Tech in the B1G. Unless you’re just a ruhtard, obvi.

ACC really missed the boat with the PAC. They could have had a pretty decent market with 16 schools.

East:
vt, uva, unc, ncst, clem, fsu, gt, miami
West:
stan, au, wsu, osu, utah, cal, co, asu

1 home/away with opposite division. Round robin in division. It wouldn’t compete with the two heavy weights, but would be better than the current setup.
Sounds good but probably would have put GOR at risk so that influenced decision making.

Gotta hand it to some of you — only true fans can do the mental gymnastics needed to say things are ok in any scenario that doesn’t include Tech in the B1G. Unless you’re just a ruhtard, obvi.
We're Tech fans. Pretty sure I don't need to explain further.

Back