Expansion Rumors…

If FSU and Clemson went to the Big 12 it would be Texas/Oklahoma 2.0. They would have to get unequal pay to make it worthwhile, and the other teams would begin to resent them.

Meanwhile thier fans don't give a öööö about playing anyone in that conference, But maybe they hate the ACC enough to go ahead and do it and pretend they do.
If they did I believe it might be positive for Tech.

before 2030, BIG expands to bring in UVA, unc, Tech, and miami to establish a foothold in the south. But they want to go further.

Texas a&m gets pissy about Texas’ special treatment from the sec, so they contact the Big10 and join. Notre Dame finally gets pissed about not getting byes in the playoff, so they also join. BIG goes to 6 4-team pods and 11 game conference schedules.

We all keep waiting for the pieces to fall into place so that we can know what the new world of college football will look like, finally. We want the SEC and Big 10 to get on with it and poach all they want to poach.

The problem is Sankey and Petitti will not play ball so that the “big picture” can come into focus. They don’t have to. Sankey can add two coveted pieces like Oklahoma and Texas, let them play a few years, let revenues grow in ways school shares are not diminished, and then if he sees more value out there he will add a team or two again. He could care less about other conferences. He could care less about the good of the game. To schools like Clemson and FSU he can piously, say, “You don’t call us. We will call you, maybe, and only when and if we are good and ready.” Petitti is in pretty much the same place,

Once college ADs and Presidents allowed their greed to allow conferences who can offer huge media payouts to have more power than the collective NCAA schools themselves, the train left the station and it is not slowing down. The SEC and Big 10 are in the position of being in total control over college football. They only have to listen to the media moguls who cut their checks. They will add who they want, when they want, how many they want, and when they want. Period. This is going to be a long and torturous process.

The ACC and Big 12 need to decide once and for all if they want to be distinct and separate conferences and respect one another’s autonomy or if they want to merge and hope they can have a somewhat comparable position as the SEC and Big 10. Trying to do to each other what the two big boys do to them is rather pathetic, a consolation contest.

And name 1 good thing about the current landscape of the ACC from a GT standpoint with Clemson/FSU leaving?
Other than an easier ACC championship, there isn't, but if they have to go Big 12 they will stop throwing the tantrum and stay. No one wants to play in a öööö Big 12 unless they absolutely have to, see the PAC 12 teams. All this is just them trying to get more money from the ACC or the TV partners.

No one wants to go to the Big 12. But some teams are going to end up there. It would be fitting for FSU to end up there because there is no way In hell they are shooting for the Big 12.

It will be where Tech ends up if the B1G doesn't drop them a life line. Hey, it could be worse.

Greg Swaim of near-zero credibility says FSU and Clemson to B1G is DOA, and the SEC has decided not to invite them, and B12 will be in pursuit. This coming while he's apparently in Las Vegas at B12 Media Days (not with any B1G or SEC people), and again my recollection is he's a clickbait headline guy not a real insider. So, yeah, ya know, just ignore it. https://x.com/gswaim
Thanks for the link. Here’s some more on the topic: Swaim: GT on the move?

Other than an easier ACC championship, there isn't, but if they have to go Big 12 they will stop throwing the tantrum and stay. No one wants to play in a öööö Big 12 unless they absolutely have to, see the PAC 12 teams. All this is just them trying to get more money from the ACC or the TV partners.
The P12 teams (Utah, ASU, Arizona, Colorado) left for the B12, because it was more $$$. The Apple TV deal was terrible.

Also, hate to break it to you, but if you line-up the soon to be ACC minus Clemson/FSU against the B12, the B12 looks like a better league.

Who are the ACC’s #1, #2 programs going forward? Miami is a paper champion every year. UofL looks to be in good shape with Brohm. NCSU is the model of consistency, but can never win more than 9 games. UNC falls apart once late October rolls around. SMU may be the sleeper to come in and run to the top. Was 2023 just a blip for Pat N at Pitt? GT, VT are still rebuilding to get back to previous success. That leaves the following:

Duke, Wake, Syracuse, UVA, BC, Cal, Stanford. Of the 7, only Stanford has proven they have the ability to play at an elite level. But Harbaugh and the early years of Shaw are long gone. The new NIL, Portal world isn’t going to be in Stanford’s best interest. They already have a hard time getting kids in out of HS. They don’t like the transfer game.

B12 has programs that are and can quickly rise to the top based on $$$ and recruiting potential in:

Utah, Oklahoma State, TCU, Baylor, UCF, Houston, BYU, KSU, WVU. Heck, Kansas has elevated themselves. Add in whatever is going on in Boulder, plus the AZ schools.

Do you really think Duke, BC, Wake, Syracuse, UVA, Cal, Stanford have the resources to make the jump to the next level? I sure don’t see it,

Interesting read in regards to Clemson's legal fight about the GOR language in the ACC/ESPN contract.
I wonder if the ACC remembered to include the stipulation that no signatories shall be considered as the drafter of the contract because otherwise, Clemson’s argument is very compelling.

Ok so am I the only one who was expecting college football seismographs to go off the rails yesterday? And for T-Rexes and Megalodons to erupt out of the ground at midfield of every P5 stadium in the country?

Instead, crickets.

Maybe, just maybe, Batt and Cabrera doing work quietly, in the background, will one day save us from irrelevancy. I'm not very optimistic, but if McMurphy's source accurately reflects the perspective of both SEC and B1G on FSU, it might mean the backchannel route is the only way to do it.

I dunno that I believe this any more than I believe all the other utterly unfounded rumored that get tweeted as absolute truth. But it would be hilarious if FSU got stuck in the ACC because they were such a PITA trying to leave the ACC that nobody else wanted them.

JRjr

I dunno that I believe this any more than I believe all the other utterly unfounded rumored that get tweeted as absolute truth. But it would be hilarious if FSU got stuck in the ACC because they were such a PITA trying to leave the ACC that nobody else wanted them.

JRjr

I think the key phrase is "if the ACC survives". I think the B1G and SEC would take them if the ACC collapsed entirely, but otherwise they just dont add enough to justify diluting the revenue share for everyone else in those conferences.

I think the key phrase is "if the ACC survives". I think the B1G and SEC would take them if the ACC collapsed entirely, but otherwise they just dont add enough to justify diluting the revenue share for everyone else in those conferences.
if acc collapsed and teams were homeless, they'd be willing to take a reduced payout to join another conference. if fsu will take a reduced payout, then yes, sec or big would take them

Easy to say things like this when Clemson/FSU are still members of the ACC with no true timetable on when either program will officially leave. Just like golden boy Sankey saying yesterday that the sec isn’t looking to expand/in a future conference realignment battle.

Nothing is real until the next steps in the future of the ACC actually happen. It’s not a matter of “if” it’s more a matter of “when” the ACC is no longer a conference.

JRjr
better yet, if they figure out a way out of GOR, let them leave. then when no other conference wants them, force them into a lower payout to re-join acc.

Back