Expansion Rumors…

they've already crossed that bridge, and set it on fire upon crossing it...

Brilliant move by the SEC. Make a backroom offer to two regional rivals. Watch them burn their own conference down. Pull their offer. Now FSU/Clem end up in B12 with essentially the same money coming in. But they have burned at least the $100+ million exit fee. They also have increased travel costs for all athletic teams.

Bonus points are GT/Miami are also weakened. UNC and Uva/VT become targets for expansion. B1G gets a weakened Pitt.

Brilliant move by the SEC. Make a backroom offer to two regional rivals. Watch them burn their own conference down. Pull their offer. Now FSU/Clem end up in B12 with essentially the same money coming in. But they have burned at least the $100+ million exit fee. They also have increased travel costs for all athletic teams.

Bonus points are GT/Miami are also weakened. UNC and Uva/VT become targets for expansion. B1G gets a weakened Pitt.
:eekfacepalm:
(No sad face reaction option)

Can’t be certain where everyone ends up but Clemson and FSU will likely be SEC at some point. Things like this are always not happening until they do. Just hope GT has an opportunity there instead of the BIG. Pretty sure Miami and GT end up in the BIG.

Have no idea why anyone is interested in NC or UVA football. Basketball isn’t driving the bus.

Can’t be certain where everyone ends up but Clemson and FSU will likely be SEC at some point. Things like this are always not happening until they do. Just hope GT has an opportunity there instead of the BIG. Pretty sure Miami and GT end up in the BIG.

Have no idea why anyone is interested in NC or UVA football. Basketball isn’t driving the bus.
TV Subscribers for the B1G network and SEC network are driving the bus. They make a lot more money if the subscribers are in the home market of a conference team.

Gaining subscribers in NC and VA would be big for the SEC network.
Gaining subscribers in GA and FL would be big for the B1G network.

TV Subscribers for the B1G network and SEC network are driving the bus. They make a lot more money if the subscribers are in the home market of a conference team.

Fsu doesn't have that many followers in FL as a percentage of FL population, but might still be a decent amount absolute.

Perhaps. Until ESPN, CBS and Fox change how they offer the contracts. Then it will be views. Pretty sure this trend isn’t new in other forms of business and is growing.

Fsu doesn't have that many followers in FL as a percentage of FL population, but might still be a decent amount absolute.
I think the point is how many Big Ten fans are in the market regardless of school. That benefits us with ATL metro area being full of fans of
Big Ten schools.

I suspect Clemson is smart enough not to burn bridges unless they had certainty about where they're going; they don't know where they're going so they haven't burned any bridges. I also suspect the people in charge at FSU are too stupid to know that they are "new money" and are walking around thinking they are "old money" while the old money people in control of conference memberships smirk at them.
Clemson…….Smart? Wut?

I don't quite get the reason why any member team would not have access to any contract between the conference and any other business.

Weren't all the member programs involved in drafting or at least approving the contract? It almost sounds like the ACC views its members like third parties. The harder I look at this, the curiouser it gets.

The ACC needs to die. The lack of leadership and looking down at members has created a dysfunctional entity that is not only in decline but also becoming corrupt as these incompetent leaders are now trying to cover their backsides before the eventual collapse. I can hear the shredders from south Georgia. I just hope someone with ethics is watching the wire transfers.

The ACC needs to die. The lack of leadership and looking down at members has created a dysfunctional entity that is not only in decline but also becoming corrupt as these incompetent leaders are now trying to cover their backsides before the eventual collapse. I can hear the shredders from south Georgia. I just hope someone with ethics is watching the wire transfers.
Agreed. What I don’t understand about the whole situation is, GT fans on here and other places have complained for ans long as I can remember about how the ACC supposedly screws GT over time and time again. Yet the ACC with Clemson/FSU leaving (regardless of the so called reports saying the B1G/sec have no interest) is the best GT can do? The conference going coast to coast is unsustainable. Had the ACC leadership had any forward thinking the conference wouldn’t be on the brink of dissolving.

1. The ACC media deal being the length of time it is was a terrible agreement. ESPN was and continues to laugh at the deal.
2. Had the ACC added WVU, UCF years ago, followed by SMU and one other now, the ACC would be in a solid position as the #3.

The ACC has always been run for the benefit of the Carolina schools. .

Back