Expansion Rumors…

Sure Jim.

"I can state that we will fight to protect the ACC and our members for as long as it takes," Phillips said. "We are confident in this league and that it will remain a premier conference in college athletics for the long-term future. These disputes continue to be extremely damaging, disruptive and incredibly harmful to the league."

"John Swofford is a decent and honorable man and is widely respected in our industry," Phillips said. "He led his conference with a steady hand for over two decades, and did so through consensus and compromise."

"I don't know that I've changed at all, other than I stand by everything I've said. Either you believe in what's been signed or you don't. We're going to do everything we can to protect the league. This has been a league that started way before me -- 71 years ago -- and will be a league around a long time after I depart.”

"What gives conviction? I understand where we're going. This conference is bigger than any one school or schools."

Sure Jim.

"I can state that we will fight to protect the ACC and our members for as long as it takes," Phillips said. "We are confident in this league and that it will remain a premier conference in college athletics for the long-term future. These disputes continue to be extremely damaging, disruptive and incredibly harmful to the league."

"John Swofford is a decent and honorable man and is widely respected in our industry," Phillips said. "He led his conference with a steady hand for over two decades, and did so through consensus and compromise."

"I don't know that I've changed at all, other than I stand by everything I've said. Either you believe in what's been signed or you don't. We're going to do everything we can to protect the league. This has been a league that started way before me -- 71 years ago -- and will be a league around a long time after I depart.”

"What gives conviction? I understand where we're going. This conference is bigger than any one school or schools."

Was Swofford incompetent or corrupt?

Was Swofford incompetent or corrupt?
I can't answer that but the ND move was pure genius. Right out from under the B1G's nose. Whether it materializes the way he hoped or not (and its probably not), it was a very shrewd move.

I think the ACC members should all leave the conference at the same time and join a new conference all together. Call it the Atlantic Crest Conference. Then negotiate a media deal from scratch.

I think the ACC members should all leave the conference at the same time and join a new conference all together. Call it the Atlantic Crest Conference. Then negotiate a media deal from scratch.
All Coast Conference
Atlantic
Pacific
Gulf
even close to the Lakes

Call it "The Best Conference", then all the teams will want to join it because it is the best.

This is a good idea. Should research the options before doing it but make it public knowledge what is happening. Just the threat to do this might make ESPN offer to amend this bad contract the ACC is under.

Phillips says he going to protect the teams in this conference while attacking 2 teams in this conference. Not very professional at all. And that he can sit in that chair and still call Swofford a decent and honorable man shows me he is just looking out for himself and wants to keep that country club membership. What a joke this conference is. At least I haven’t seen or heard anyone from GT shilling for Phillips.

Phillips says he going to protect the teams in this conference while attacking 2 teams in this conference. Not very professional at all. And that he can sit in that chair and still call Swofford a decent and honorable man shows me he is just looking out for himself and wants to keep that country club membership. What a joke this conference is. At least I haven’t seen or heard anyone from GT shilling for Phillips.
You heard a collective groan from 12 conference members in that’s speech. To think you didn’t is stupid. Every college in FBS is tired of FSUs öööö enough to sabotage them in order to keep the ACC alive.

You heard a collective groan from 12 conference members in that’s speech. To think you didn’t is stupid. Every college in FBS is tired of FSUs öööö enough to sabotage them in order to keep the ACC alive.
Whatever. The ACC is a dead conference. Sure, blame FSU if you want but the rot in this conference is deep. Phillips is the epitome of that rot. When this conference goes away and Phillips slinks off to his retirement life many of you will be asking what happened. You don’t run a conference by attacking the very members you are suppose to serve even if you don’t like them. His job isn’t to like FSU or Clemson or UNC or GT. His job is to run the conference competently and bolster the conferences image. He has done the exact opposite under his rein. The ACC champ got left out and our reputation is mud - all under his watch. But, yeah, let’s attack the conference champ and the other team who won 2 Nattys.

I see they now want to do I away with scholarship limits and have a 'roster limit' of 105 players. This will only help the factories.

I see they now want to do I away with scholarship limits and have a 'roster limit' of 105 players. This will only help the factories.
How? It’s for EVERY P4 school. SA’s aren’t going to go to a school just to be #100 on a roster vs getting a chance to play elsewhere. The Portal minus the SA’s pushed into the Portal is evidence of that.

Some of you need to listen to CBK’s interview on Sirius/XM from Monday. He actually truly believes the new world of CFB is an advantage to GT vs pre-2021. The buy-in by Cabrera and J-Batt is there, combined with what GT as a school brings to the table he feels gives GT a recruiting edge they didn’t previously have.

How? It’s for EVERY P4 school. SA’s aren’t going to go to a school just to be #100 on a roster vs getting a chance to play elsewhere. The Portal minus the SA’s pushed into the Portal is evidence of that.

Some of you need to listen to CBK’s interview on Sirius/XM from Monday. He actually truly believes the new world of CFB is an advantage to GT vs pre-2021. The buy-in by Cabrera and J-Batt is there, combined with what GT as a school brings to the table he feels gives GT a recruiting edge they didn’t previously have.
Hadnt really thought about it but, perhaps, the education factor can actually have a bigger impact now. Before a poor SA might have to choose between $$$$ or a GT education, if your family has nothing this is probably an easy choice. Now they might be choosing between $$$$ or a GT education + $$, that could move the needle in some individuals.

You are right on. All these changes have been good for GT. The old system destroyed every academic school because those schools followed the rules while the factories brought in the Malcolm Mitchell’s. Over the decades of that system GT fell from a premier program to an average program because the NCAA only enforced certain rules against a certain group of teams. NIL and the portal and any other thing that will come that is applied to everyone EQUALLY will be good for GT - if we use those tools.

Announcers on TV were bragging how UGA accepted Malcolm Mitchell into their college when he read at a 3rd grade level. Yet, they deny students with 1400 SAT’s. And they put these guys in majors that have negative ROI. And the NCAA smiled.

GT needs to admit any high caliber who wants to come here now that it’s equal for all teams. GT needs to buy players. GT can do all this without fear of Dooley or Smart turning us in to the NCAA now because the courts have finally stripped the NCAA of their enforcement teeth. Now, if GT continues to pretend that athletes are students then we will continue to be mediocre and we’ll lose our good coaches.

I have not heard the Sirius interview but have heard from sources the Tech clan discreetly saying the big schools were paying athletes prior to 2021 so things now are not that different from the past, just more open.

I, for one, was happy to see Phillips stand up to FSU and Clemson who have been trying to bully the conference. It needs to be clear that if they want out then they have to pay the GOR. Texas and Oklahoma had to pay. There is no precedent for them being able to exit without paying for for their contractual agreement which has benefitted them. He didn't start the lawsuit, they did. If there is animosity it's due to their actions not his or the other members of the league. The animosity can be patched up later, but for now we need to stand our ground.

I have not heard the Sirius interview but have heard from sources the Tech clan discreetly saying the big schools were paying athletes prior to 2021 so things now are not that different from the past, just more open.

I, for one, was happy to see Phillips stand up to FSU and Clemson who have been trying to bully the conference. It needs to be clear that if they want out then they have to pay the GOR. Texas and Oklahoma had to pay. There is no precedent for them being able to exit without paying for for their contractual agreement which has benefitted them. He didn't start the lawsuit, they did. If there is animosity it's due to their actions not his or the other members of the league. The animosity can be patched up later, but for now we need to stand our ground.
How is asking a court to interpret a dispute over a contract considered “bullying”? Has FSU asked for an extra 100K to show up in Ireland? How are FSU and Clemson bullying? All they are doing is asking a court to settle a dispute on language in a contract. This happens everyday across this country. They are still honoring the contract and have done nothing to dishonor the contract. Just because the ACC isn’t happy they have to respond in court does not mean they are being bullied. It’s just business. Both sides are currently adhering to the contract so no one is being damaged. If the court sides with the ACC then those teams will have to decide what they want to do. And if the court sides with FSU then the ACC will have to decide what they should do.

How is asking a court to interpret a dispute over a contract considered “bullying”? Has FSU asked for an extra 100K to show up in Ireland? How are FSU and Clemson bullying? All they are doing is asking a court to settle a dispute on language in a contract. This happens everyday across this country. They are still honoring the contract and have done nothing to dishonor the contract. Just because the ACC isn’t happy they have to respond in court does not mean they are being bullied. It’s just business. Both sides are currently adhering to the contract so no one is being damaged. If the court sides with the ACC then those teams will have to decide what they want to do. And if the court sides with FSU then the ACC will have to decide what they should do.
FSU has made statements that they want out of the conference, period. Clemson has not been quite as nasty. But FSU has been very nasty.

Back