Expansion Rumors…

I have not heard the Sirius interview but have heard from sources the Tech clan discreetly saying the big schools were paying athletes prior to 2021 so things now are not that different from the past, just more open.

I, for one, was happy to see Phillips stand up to FSU and Clemson who have been trying to bully the conference. It needs to be clear that if they want out then they have to pay the GOR. Texas and Oklahoma had to pay. There is no precedent for them being able to exit without paying for for their contractual agreement which has benefitted them. He didn't start the lawsuit, they did. If there is animosity it's due to their actions not his or the other members of the league. The animosity can be patched up later, but for now we need to stand our ground.
Every SINGLE school was cheating before 2021. Please don’t tell me you think GT was the only not to do so? What happens on the recruiting trail, happens regardless of sport. As the saying goes “If you aren’t cheating, you aren’t trying” and that 100% applies to CFB, CBB for decades.

That’s fine. You can stand by Jim Phillips all you want, and you have every right to do so. But FSU, Clemson aren’t doing anything wrong. They are simply doing what’s in the best interest of their school long term. They have every right to do whatever they can to find the path of least resistance/payout through the court system.

The ACC only have themselves to blame for the current state of the league. As the article from ESPN said from Monday:

As an administrator in another league put it: "The ACC sold its soul for a network."

That’s 100% it. They wanted to be just like everyone else, and Swafford sold out to do so. And now the league is in peril of folding due to said agreement. ESPN is absolutely laughing at the ACC, and knows they have no reason to change the deal.

Every SINGLE school was cheating before 2021. Please don’t tell me you think GT was the only not to do so? What happens on the recruiting trail, happens regardless of sport. As the saying goes “If you aren’t cheating, you aren’t trying” and that 100% applies to CFB, CBB for decades.

That’s fine. You can stand by Jim Phillips all you want, and you have every right to do so. But FSU, Clemson aren’t doing anything wrong. They are simply doing what’s in the best interest of their school long term. They have every right to do whatever they can to find the path of least resistance/payout through the court system.

The ACC only have themselves to blame for the current state of the league. As the article from ESPN said from Monday:

As an administrator in another league put it: "The ACC sold its soul for a network."

That’s 100% it. They wanted to be just like everyone else, and Swafford sold out to do so. And now the league is in peril of folding due to said agreement. ESPN is absolutely laughing at the ACC, and knows they have no reason to change the deal.
Whether we were cheating or not I don't know but our bag certainly wasn't as big as others bags - just like now. What is your point?

As far as FSU, I believe they signed a contract and as far as I know, no one was holding a gun to their head.

FSU has made statements that they want out of the conference, period. Clemson has not been quite as nasty. But FSU has been very nasty.
Come on. Statements? That all you have. Words are just words. FSU has taken no action, outside of asking a court to decide the language, against the ACC. Heck, I guess I’m a bully because I want GT out of the ACC and I believe UNC is garbage.

I guess w pe have different ideas of what is nasty. I have never believed words to be nasty because they’re just words. Now, actions are what can be nasty. That’s why I love this message board. I enjoy the words even when someone comes at me. 8 just laugh because it’s all just harmless. FSU can scream from the rooftops how they want out of the ACC and they should still be given the respect as a member of the ACC, especially by the commish. I’ve heard Coach K say a lot of negative things about the ACC over his tenure when the refs forgot to give him the call and no one called him a bully. I just don’t understand the butthurt about a school trying to do what they believe is right. We’ll see if the courts agree or disagree. But to this point they have honored every word of that contract.

Come on. Statements? That all you have. Words are just words. FSU has taken no action, outside of asking a court to decide the language, against the ACC. Heck, I guess I’m a bully because I want GT out of the ACC and I believe UNC is garbage.

I guess w pe have different ideas of what is nasty. I have never believed words to be nasty because they’re just words. Now, actions are what can be nasty. That’s why I love this message board. I enjoy the words even when someone comes at me. 8 just laugh because it’s all just harmless. FSU can scream from the rooftops how they want out of the ACC and they should still be given the respect as a member of the ACC, especially by the commish. I’ve heard Coach K say a lot of negative things about the ACC over his tenure when the refs forgot to give him the call and no one called him a bully. I just don’t understand the butthurt about a school trying to do what they believe is right. We’ll see if the courts agree or disagree. But to this point they have honored every word of that contract.
Well I'm not the sensitive type either but I don't think it helps the conference to bad mouth it publicly. Maybe FSU complaints will help the conference - I hope so.

Interesting article that a Tech friend of mine in Detroit just sent me. I didn't notice at first, but it's yet another article coming out of Auburn of all places.

Whether we were cheating or not I don't know but our bag certainly wasn't as big as others bags - just like now. What is your point?

As far as FSU, I believe they signed a contract and as far as I know, no one was holding a gun to their head.
Point is, cheating and paying players pre-2001 is cheating regardless of school or amount of $$$. People said forever GT was cheating in hoops under CBC and CPH. Where are the facts showing it? There are none. It’s all a bunch of “rumors” that have no substance to back the claims.

Are we all naive enough to sit here and think programs weren’t paying players pre-2001? I sure hope not. It’s been happening for 50+ years in CFB. But none of that matters now in the world of CFB. Coaches can claim one program has an advantage over another because of a big time booster (ex. Oregon/Phil Knight) but that’s on the other program to boost their contributions.

As far as FSU is concerned. As the saying like “If you aren’t cheating, you aren’t trying” goes, the saying “Contracts are made to be broken” now applies.

I guess I don’t understand why you think what FSU/Clemson are doing is wrong?

They (FSU/Clemson) are seeing lesser programs (South Carolina, Kentucky, Vandy, Indiana, NW, etc) makes $30-$40 million more per year based on the new agreements for the B1G/sec. All they are asking for is the same thing Jim Phillips should be asking for…..A comparable boost to at least come close to the lesser peers. Phillips was handed a handcuffed deal from Swafford, we all know that. But Phillips is doing every school in the ACC a disservice by touting how great a now archaic deal is between the ACC/ESPN put together by Swafford. He instead should be trying to negotiate out of the GOR for a new 5 year deal that is a risk/reward scenario betting on the ACC to prove themselves. But instead, he’s just happy to stay the course while the schools watch their peers from other conferences pass them by.

Does it help the conference to go undefeated and be ranked in the top 4 all season?
It will happen again this year. The ACC will have 2-4 around the Top 15-20 come rivalry weekend and it will implode.

The only way to fix the perception the ACC has by the media and other conferences is to win the big games against other conferences. It starts with Clemson-uga, Miami-UF, NCSU-Tennessee, Cal-Auburn, etc down to rivalry week.

Interesting article that a Tech friend of mine in Detroit just sent me. I didn't notice at first, but it's yet another article coming out of Auburn of all places.
82a6d0770aeaafbae8f26bf40a822b9b79a5c412.png

But instead, he’s just happy to stay the course while the schools watch their peers from other conferences pass them by.

This is the story of the ACC. Not enough time in the day to play 18 holes and actually work for your member schools. It’s a joke at this point. And this is coming from a guy who was born in College Park and had pennants of all ACC teams lining the walls of my room as a kid. These clowns have destroyed a once great conference. I hate the SEC with a passion but at least they hire competent business people who understand what their job is.

Kick Rutgers out, bring in Pitt, ND, GT, UNC, UVA and Duke. If you want to keep Rutgers in, don’t take Pitt.

Kick Rutgers out, bring in Pitt, ND, GT, UNC, UVA and Duke. If you want to keep Rutgers in, don’t take Pitt.

No reason for the B1G to bring in Pitt. Their situation is very similar to ours with the SEC.

Also no reason to take Duke unless they are sharing research money.

Huh? No one is getting kicked out anywhere. Pitt is worthless. UVA isn't going anywhere without VPISU. Duke isn't getting picked up by either of the big 2.

Huh? No one is getting kicked out anywhere. Pitt is worthless. UVA isn't going anywhere without VPISU. Duke isn't getting picked up by either of the big 2.
I think Duke’s basketball brand and football potential makes it intriguing. Having Duke+UNC locked up for winter revenue is a decent move and the football isn’t awful. Also all the schools listed are AAU. If the Big Ten wants a national sports conference they can do it just pick up CAL and Stanford and some of the schools listed and maybe move into the mountain region. Then they could just claim national championships and control all the money.

He was referring to not taking Pitt (kicked out of the group being taken), not kicked out of the ACC.

The only path to being competitive for the acc is contraction.

He was referring to not taking Pitt (kicked out of the group being taken), not kicked out of the ACC.

The only path to being competitive for the acc is contraction.
I’m saying Rutgers isn’t getting kicked out. Pitt would never get taken by the B1G bc it’s worthless to them. ACC isn’t contracting, they just added 3 teams.

I’m saying Rutgers isn’t getting kicked out. Pitt would never get taken by the B1G bc it’s worthless to them. ACC isn’t contracting, they just added 3 teams.

But the ACC should contract. FSU, Miami, GT, Clem, uNC, NCSt, VT, UVa, (Pitt/UL) would payout considerably more per school while keeping the state govt forced twins together.

Back