Expansion Rumors…

You beat me to the punch. I just saw that on one of the Auburn FB pages.

:bfd: :cheers:

1720714360808.png

Greg Swaim of near-zero credibility says FSU and Clemson to B1G is DOA, and the SEC has decided not to invite them, and B12 will be in pursuit. This coming while he's apparently in Las Vegas at B12 Media Days (not with any B1G or SEC people), and again my recollection is he's a clickbait headline guy not a real insider. So, yeah, ya know, just ignore it. https://x.com/gswaim

I wouldn't be surprised if this were true. I have never been convinced the SEC had much to gain by adding FSU and Clemson, with the Florida and South Carolina markets already locked up. Plus, I have wondered if two rural Southern towns in the middle of nowhere had much in common with the Big 10. I think the Big 12 would love to get them, and I think FSU and Clemson have too much pride to go through all this and then stay in the ACC. But, I don't think playing at Kansas and Baylor for about the same payout as what they get from the ACC is what FSU, Clemson and their fans had in mind when they decided they were too good for the ACC.

If FSU and Clemson went to the Big 12 it would be Texas/Oklahoma 2.0. They would have to get unequal pay to make it worthwhile, and the other teams would begin to resent them.

Meanwhile thier fans don't give a öööö about playing anyone in that conference, But maybe they hate the ACC enough to go ahead and do it and pretend they do.

All this could just be the ACC, Clem, and FSU thinking they can force more cash out of ESPN to hold it together.

Horrible way to go about it if so.

I wouldn't be surprised if this were true. I have never been convinced the SEC had much to gain by adding FSU and Clemson, with the Florida and South Carolina markets already locked up. Plus, I have wondered if two rural Southern towns in the middle of nowhere had much in common with the Big 10. I think the Big 12 would love to get them, and I think FSU and Clemson have too much pride to go through all this and then stay in the ACC. But, I don't think playing at Kansas and Baylor for about the same payout as what they get from the ACC is what FSU, Clemson and their fans had in mind when they decided they were too good for the ACC.

Better play for FSU/Clem is to convince Miami, GT, uNC, NCSt, UVa, and VT to join. Include WV and Pitt if WV can escape the b12. I guarantee the payout per school beats the acc or b12.

Better play for FSU/Clem is to convince Miami, GT, uNC, NCSt, UVa, and VT to join. Include WV and Pitt if WV can escape the b12. I guarantee the payout per school beats the acc or b12.
10 team conferences everywhere would be awesome.

Greg Swaim of near-zero credibility says FSU and Clemson to B1G is DOA, and the SEC has decided not to invite them, and B12 will be in pursuit. This coming while he's apparently in Las Vegas at B12 Media Days (not with any B1G or SEC people), and again my recollection is he's a clickbait headline guy not a real insider. So, yeah, ya know, just ignore it. https://x.com/gswaim
The “rumors” from so called “insiders” have been out there a while that the sec is content to stay put as they are assembled now or go for UNC, UVA (I don’t get the UVA pick). Easy for the sec to say now, but we’ll see how true it really is when Clemson/FSU do indeed leave. I seriously doubt Sankey will just allow the B1G to come down and take Clemson/FSU.

If FSU and Clemson went to the Big 12 it would be Texas/Oklahoma 2.0. They would have to get unequal pay to make it worthwhile, and the other teams would begin to resent them.

Meanwhile thier fans don't give a öööö about playing anyone in that conference, But maybe they hate the ACC enough to go ahead and do it and pretend they do.
And name 1 good thing about the current landscape of the ACC from a GT standpoint with Clemson/FSU leaving?

If Clemson/FSu did all this just to end up in the B12, that’s a major ööööing fail for them.
How so? You don’t think the fact the B12 can negotiate a new TV deal, etc is a benefit to them? Yormark has already said everything from a revenue perspective including a new TV deal is on the table. Opening line this week at B12 media days was just that simple.

“We’re still open for business.”

Unlike the ACC which is tied to a very bad deal which ESPN completely controls.

Back