Expansion Rumors…

0.0% chance GT ever ends up back in the sec. I think everyone can agree with that by now. If the rumor of the sec not wanting Clemson/FSU because they already have that state/area, same would most definitely apply to GT.

The B1G is the only option, and only time will tell if that really is an option. It will all play out whenever the current situation with the ACC is resolved.
I don’t agree with this 0% chance at all, it’s up to the university presidents to vote in expansion schools, and I believe there are enough new SEC members to overcome those that hate us (uga, Miss schools). Also they literally just added a 2nd school in the same state- Texas.

I don’t agree with this 0% chance at all, it’s up to the university presidents to vote in expansion schools, and I believe there are enough new SEC members to overcome those that hate us (uga, Miss schools). Also they literally just added a 2nd school in the same state- Texas.

Adding UTx isn’t the same as adding us. The literally isn’t another school in TX that would have been added. I’m not sure ATM would have gotten added it UTx was already a member.

OK. Fine. 0.01%. If the sec with schools in South Carolina and Florida are reportedly not interested at this time in Clemson/FSU, pretty much sums it up for the chances of GT being an option.

The sec invited TAMU at the time, because Texas/OU were controlling all aspects of the B12. Mack Brown on the record told Rick Neuheisel while coaching at Texas against UCLA, that Texas was going to the P12 with OU. It was a done deal. The B12 was all but dead, until Texas got their way at the last second by getting the now closed for shop Longhorn Network.

Had Texas not had to have a LH Network at that time and all but controlling all aspects of the B12 with OU, both would probably have kept the P12 alive.

OK. Fine. 0.01%. If the sec with schools in South Carolina and Florida are reportedly not interested at this time in Clemson/FSU, pretty much sums it up for the chances of GT being an option.

The sec invited TAMU at the time, because Texas/OU were controlling all aspects of the B12. Mack Brown on the record told Rick Neuheisel while coaching at Texas against UCLA, that Texas was going to the P12 with OU. It was a done deal. The B12 was all but dead, until Texas got their way at the last second by getting the now closed for shop Longhorn Network.

Had Texas not had to have a LH Network at that time and all but controlling all aspects of the B12 with OU, both would probably have kept the P12 alive.
They are never going to actually admit that they want FSU and Clemson, everything being said both publicly and off the record is just smoke and subterfuge at this point. Until the ACC falls apart or those schools somehow get free we have no idea whats going to happen.

Adding UTx isn’t the same as adding us. The literally isn’t another school in TX that would have been added. I’m not sure ATM would have gotten added it UTx was already a member.
I get that, but it also proves that there are no hard rules in expansion. The SEC has multiple schools in the same state and it doesn’t seem to hurt their brand one bit. Our one and only chance imo is if the BIG wants us and the SEC wants to block them from having a presence in Atlanta

Our one and only chance imo is if the BIG wants us and the SEC wants to block them from having a presence in Atlanta
This is the answer. I still think if it comes down to 2 big conferences we'll end up in B1G, but $EC probably would not want B1G setting up shop right in the heart of their territory/host city of their conference championship, so they would definitely give GT a look. Plus there's ATL tv market. FSU/Clemson really have nothing to offer when it comes to location/market.

I get that, but it also proves that there are no hard rules in expansion. The SEC has multiple schools in the same state and it doesn’t seem to hurt their brand one bit. Our one and only chance imo is if the BIG wants us and the SEC wants to block them from having a presence in Atlanta

Agree there are no hard rules.

The multiple schools in a state are (mostly) legacy constructs. Vandy does hurt the sec brand. MSU wouldn’t get an sec invite if they were on the outside. Only Auburn carries the little brother’ banner.

Florida is a big enough state to carry two schools. FSU isn’t in an ideal location, but it works.

Clemson is a harder sell. They are just past their program peak and they show no signs of knowing how to navigate the new landscape.

I can see the sec wanting to protect their turf, but we would need to get to 4/5 w/l for them to be worried. As it is, they would probably like to bank 1/10 w/l annually head to head with the b1g. We need the acc to hold on until 2025 and uga to make a Goff hire. Then I would be more confident in a b1g or sec offer.

Working in Clemson’s favor, there are a lot of b1g alumni on the SC coast, Greenville, and the suburbs of Charlotte.

This is the answer. I still think if it comes down to 2 big conferences we'll end up in B1G, but $EC probably would not want B1G setting up shop right in the heart of their territory/host city of their conference championship, so they would definitely give GT a look. Plus there's ATL tv market. FSU/Clemson really have nothing to offer when it comes to location/market.
This is not about TV markets anymore. Cable TV is irrelevant. The sec already has the Atlanta TV market anyway. Clemson/FSU are brands with large fan bases that draw numbers. That’s all the sec cares about.

It wouldn't have reached its peak because this clown would still be in charge.

1721505601760.png
That's what a 11.7 million smug smile looks like

This is not about TV markets anymore. Cable TV is irrelevant.
It’s actually very much still relevant, and do you think streaming services like youtubetv and hulu don’t pay the carriage fees?

You say the SEC doesn’t care about markets but then also they don’t want teams in the same market they already have. Why wouldn’t they add FSU and Clemson then for matchups that bring huge ratings? Why are they so interested in UVA and UNC if not for those new markets? It sure as hell ain’t for the quality of football from those schools.

The only thing we know is that the SEC/BIG are going to hold their cards close to the vest. As to a secret agreement, it's possible, but also extremely dangerous in regards to monopolies, tortious interference, etc. I think it is more likely that the SEC watched what happened with the best of the west and for the southeast, will choose to be proactive and go out and get what they want first. I certainly can see FSU/CLem as being the current best football programs and the SEC would be full of top teams which will garner them another one or two guranteed teams in the playoff. But is it worth it? I am of the opinion that a very top heavy conference causes a whole new set of problems. Add in the SC,UG,UF, UK consortium, maybe CLem/FSU do not have a good option. I suspect that state politicians have long ago addressed this issue internally, they are all public universities....it's not like the state of Georgia folks.

It’s actually very much still relevant, and do you think streaming services like youtubetv and hulu don’t pay the carriage fees?

You say the SEC doesn’t care about markets but then also they don’t want teams in the same market they already have. Why wouldn’t they add FSU and Clemson then for matchups that bring huge ratings? Why are they so interested in UVA and UNC if not for those new markets? It sure as hell ain’t for the quality of football from those schools.
No one knows who the sec is interested in outside of ND. They would take ND tomorrow. As would the B1G.

Until the ACC GOR is resolved, they really have nothing to worry about. Everything is pure speculation and rumors. So not sure where you have seen any real info that the sec is interested in UNC, UVA. From all reports a few weeks ago, the conference and schools are happy at 16 members with the $$$ payout per school where it’s growing to.

But to think the sec will have no interest in the 2 biggest brands from a football perspective (FSU/Clemson) from the ACC once the GOR issue is resolved vs going for UNC/UVA instead for example seems far fetched.

Yeah, I'm gonna need some backup on this point.
You really think the main reason for this round of expansion is cable TV markets? This isn’t 2008-2014 anymore. Let’s simplify this by going back to last summer. While UW is in Seattle, Oregon is the complete opposite. Did the B1G care? No. It was about strengthening the league from a football perspective. Oregon is an huge football brand. Otherwise, why didn’t the B1G go for Utah (Salt Lake City) or Colorado (Denver) instead?

Back