Expansion Rumors…

That’s a GT issue. I can separate GT from the sport. I hope GT makes the cut, but even if they don’t I still want good matchups when I’m not watching GT play. GT made its own bed. We were one of the originals in the SEC and we gave them the finger. We weren’t kicked out, we left.

If GT doesn’t make the cut, I will watch as much college football as college hockey, which is zero.

The pursuit of the $$$ ruins everything unless it is you that is pocketing the $$$.

With the portal and NIL I am halfway there already. Why watch college football when we have the NFL? The only reason to watch is because GT is in it.
Yeah, but GT and about 85% of all college teams haven’t been in it for decades. Are you guys living in some alternate universe where you watch a GT-VT game or GT-BC game and believe it somehow matters in the college football landscape?

I’ll always watch GT whether we are playing NC State or Norfolk St, but I don’t pretend it’s on the same level as a Bama-Ole Miss game. Sure, we can get better (and are) but you guys are believing in a myth that we somehow matter in the ACC and we wouldn’t if the ACC went away.

Yeah, but GT and about 85% of all college teams haven’t been in it for decades. Are you guys living in some alternate universe where you watch a GT-VT game or GT-BC game and believe it somehow matters in the college football landscape?

I’ll always watch GT whether we are playing NC State or Norfolk St, but I don’t pretend it’s on the same level as a Bama-Ole Miss game. Sure, we can get better (and are) but you guys are believing in a myth that we somehow matter in the ACC and we wouldn’t if the ACC went away.
Ole Miss? Really? They aren’t any more relevant than we are.

GT didn't matter nationally at all in '84, barely mattered in '86, and mattered greatly in '90; and I was lucky enough to experience it all. It doesn't take decades to go from bottom to top. But if you get relegated to a new Div 2, you won't ever matter.

If I want to watch a league that pays players that can hop from team to team, I might as well watch the ATL Falcons (which actually is more limited in player movement than today's college football).

I like watching players and teams develop at GT; not so interested in a league where our best RB plays for Bama or Nebraska the following year. I like the players that are proud to be Tech men more than I do the mercenaries; but I totally understand those of you who feel differently.

If I want to watch a league that pays players that can hop from team to team, I might as well watch the ATL Falcons (which actually is more limited in player movement than today's college football).
But you are watching it. Unless you are starting your boycott now. Our starting QB is getting paid and came to GT via the portal. We will have transfers all over the field this coming season.

I guess my question for those of you who don’t like where the sport is, what is your cutoff point? If we play 5 transfers out of 22 starters is that still a GT team with GT men? What if we start 15 out of 22 starters from the portal? Is that when you’ll boycott and consider it not a GT team?

I love the portal because it has brought us back to the “average” category from the “way below average” category. I also like NIL because we can now, without fear of probation or an abitrary NCAA ruling, do what other teams have been doing for decades.

I will root for the GT football team in all circumstances because I don’t have some random and arbitrary line for my fandom like a lot of posters have. Sure, I want GT in the BIG because I believe that is the best mix of athletics and academics that exist today. But, I have zero control of that. Those who get paid handsomely at GT will either make that happen or not. But, I’ve been a fan thru all their idiocy so I’m not holding my breath. I’ll just enjoy each game as it comes.

Ole Miss? Really? They aren’t any more relevant than we are.
More people watch their games than ours. They have actually been ranked this decade and they just easily whipped us on national TV. I don’t like them either but they are in a relevant conference and they win a lot of games. Meanwhile, we are in a crumbs eating conference who can’t even gets it champion in the playoff. At least this year we are guaranteed to get 1 team in.

But you are watching it. Unless you are starting your boycott now. Our starting QB is getting paid and came to GT via the portal. We will have transfers all over the field this coming season.

I guess my question for those of you who don’t like where the sport is, what is your cutoff point? If we play 5 transfers out of 22 starters is that still a GT team with GT men? What if we start 15 out of 22 starters from the portal? Is that when you’ll boycott and consider it not a GT team?

I love the portal because it has brought us back to the “average” category from the “way below average” category. I also like NIL because we can now, without fear of probation or an abitrary NCAA ruling, do what other teams have been doing for decades.

I will root for the GT football team in all circumstances because I don’t have some random and arbitrary line for my fandom like a lot of posters have. Sure, I want GT in the BIG because I believe that is the best mix of athletics and academics that exist today. But, I have zero control of that. Those who get paid handsomely at GT will either make that happen or not. But, I’ve been a fan thru all their idiocy so I’m not holding my breath. I’ll just enjoy each game as it comes.

Boycott is too strong a word for me. I will still watch it some; but not with the fervor and regularity I had a few years ago. I will probably go to a game this year.... but I used to buy season tickets. I decided not to go to Ireland this year because if I am traveling that far it will be to see Ireland, and not to burn a day at a college football game. I will likely miss 3-4 games completely due to trips on an Alaskan cruise and another to Australia, a few years ago I would have scheduled those trips to not conflict with the season. I once sat in a hotel room in Moscow on a business trip and had my wife skype me a game so I wouldn't miss it, today I would sleep through the game and check the score in the morning. All that to say college football has slid down on my list of priorities, that is not a personal protest, it is a reality.

NIL and the portal did not bring GT back, CBK brought us back after we finally fired the clown. Getting a great QB from the portal was nice, will you be just as happy if he goes elsewhere for more money and better shot at a championship? I don't fault anyone for following every game, and if I lived in ATL or was at school there I would probably attend more games; but I can't pretend loyalty to a bought and paid for roster that will hop as soon as some school offers more money.

More people watch their games than ours. They have actually been ranked this decade and they just easily whipped us on national TV. I don’t like them either but they are in a relevant conference and they win a lot of games. Meanwhile, we are in a crumbs eating conference who can’t even gets it champion in the playoff. At least this year we are guaranteed to get 1 team in.

Which is right back to why I don't get as excited about GT football. If college football goes formally to a 2 conference league and GT is left out, I will have little interest in college football and turn more to the NFL than the new AAA farm league football. If GT is in the 2 conference league it is different and I will follow it more closely.

NIL and the portal did not bring GT back, CBK brought us back after we finally fired the clown. Getting a great QB from the portal was nice, will you be just as happy if he goes elsewhere for more money and better shot at a championship? I don't fault anyone for following every game, and if I lived in ATL or was at school there I would probably attend more games; but I can't pretend loyalty to a bought and paid for roster that will hop as soon as some school offers more money.
You continue to live in some form of denial that CFB was an amateur sport pre-2021. You’re entitled to feel how you want, and there’s nothing wrong with that. But you’re romanticizing something that hasn’t been reality for 40+ years. Paying players, cheating, etc has been out in the open this whole time. The corrupt NCAA had no clue how to manage it. You think what SMU did in the 80’s was an isolated incident?

I guess I’m never going to understand the mentality that the NCAA, coaches, AD’s and conference commissioners should be multi-millionaires, while the players get nothing. And don’t give me the 1 year renewed scholarship + room & board is worth as much as what players bring to the field. Players can be processed out at any time.

CFB has been the same 8-10 programs or so controlling the sport from 2000 until now. Rotate USC, UF from mid 2000’s in and out for Clemson, and that other school as of late. But tOSU, Bama, LSU, OU, etc have been mainstays. What TCU did 2 years ago was a nice little story, but it ended badly. Other than TCU what team has risen to the top to compete for the MNC out of nowhere?

I’ll ask a sort of relatable question. Did you boycott the NFL a few years ago? Are you watching it again?

Boycott is too strong a word for me. I will still watch it some; but not with the fervor and regularity I had a few years ago. I will probably go to a game this year.... but I used to buy season tickets. I decided not to go to Ireland this year because if I am traveling that far it will be to see Ireland, and not to burn a day at a college football game. I will likely miss 3-4 games completely due to trips on an Alaskan cruise and another to Australia, a few years ago I would have scheduled those trips to not conflict with the season. I once sat in a hotel room in Moscow on a business trip and had my wife skype me a game so I wouldn't miss it, today I would sleep through the game and check the score in the morning. All that to say college football has slid down on my list of priorities, that is not a personal protest, it is a reality.

I hear you and understand. But, I also think it’s an age thing and a GT has sucked thing, I’m 54 and am nowhere the crazy fan I use to be because GT has fallen off because the school itself stopped supporting our Hall of Fame coach so we lost about 7 years of relevancy between the last few few season of Johnson and this upcoming season. I still attend a lot of games and watch all of them but I don’t have the same feeling as a young man so I feel you on that.

As for any players transferring it’s simply part of the sport and part of coaching. We lost Gibbs because the coach proved himself to be inept and Gibbs made the same decision I would have. And if Haynes were to leave for a better deal then I have zero hard feelings. It’s all just business and I’ll root for whoever is playing the GT QB position. It’s really no different than when Kenny or Dennis left early. Just instead of going pro they are going to another campus for 3 more months of football. I really don’t understand the angst on where people chose to play. Sure, we as fans have had to change our way if thinking about what a freshman may become as a senior but again it was a mid level who stayed all 4 years even before the portal. Favors, Scott, Anderson, Marbury, and Calvin all played less than 4 seasons at GT yet we love those guys even though they left.

I agree Key has helped bring us back because he is smart enough to use the tools available to him. And a major tool has been the portal. Can you imagine what fans from 30 years ago would say if they now knew we were taking transfers from UGA and Bama? They would say the world is ending. Yet, we have a coach smart enough to use the tools to get better players to GT. I’m all for it because better players attract better players. You think this 4 star OLinemen commits to GT if we won 4 games last year without King on the roster? I doubt it.

I hear you and understand. But, I also think it’s an age thing and a GT has sucked thing, I’m 54 and am nowhere the crazy fan I use to be because GT has fallen off because the school itself stopped supporting our Hall of Fame coach so we lost about 7 years of relevancy between the last few few season of Johnson and this upcoming season. I still attend a lot of games and watch all of them but I don’t have the same feeling as a young man so I feel you on that.

As for any players transferring it’s simply part of the sport and part of coaching. We lost Gibbs because the coach proved himself to be inept and Gibbs made the same decision I would have. And if Haynes were to leave for a better deal then I have zero hard feelings. It’s all just business and I’ll root for whoever is playing the GT QB position. It’s really no different than when Kenny or Dennis left early. Just instead of going pro they are going to another campus for 3 more months of football. I really don’t understand the angst on where people chose to play. Sure, we as fans have had to change our way if thinking about what a freshman may become as a senior but again it was a mid level who stayed all 4 years even before the portal. Favors, Scott, Anderson, Marbury, and Calvin all played less than 4 seasons at GT yet we love those guys even though they left.

I agree Key has helped bring us back because he is smart enough to use the tools available to him. And a major tool has been the portal. Can you imagine what fans from 30 years ago would say if they now knew we were taking transfers from UGA and Bama? They would say the world is ending. Yet, we have a coach smart enough to use the tools to get better players to GT. I’m all for it because better players attract better players. You think this 4 star OLinemen commits to GT if we won 4 games last year without King on the roster? I doubt it.

Marbury had no other choice but to go pro. They were still student athletes back then and he would not have been eligible for his sophomore season. I know Calvin was doing well in school, but not too sure about the others you mentioned, which may have forced their decision as well.

I remember worrying about the summer when we’d lose many of our athletes due to academic performance. I don’t hear too much about that anymore from Tech or anywhere else. When was the last time we had an athletic starter ruled academically ineligible? This has become a semi-pro league with the false perception that these hired guns are academic students. I’m sure there are exceptions, but the top tier athletes at these powerhouse schools are no longer held to any academic standards. They should just break off the revenue sports and call them what they are, a paid team who is sponsored by a university.

Marbury had no other choice but to go pro. They were still student athletes back then and he would not have been eligible for his sophomore season. I know Calvin was doing well in school, but not too sure about the others you mentioned, which may have forced their decision as well.

I remember worrying about the summer when we’d lose many of our athletes due to academic performance. I don’t hear too much about that anymore from Tech or anywhere else. When was the last time we had an athletic starter ruled academically ineligible? This has become a semi-pro league with the false perception that these hired guns are academic students. I’m sure there are exceptions, but the top tier athletes at these powerhouse schools are no longer held to any academic standards. They should just break off the revenue sports and call them what they are, a paid team who is sponsored by a university.
The last I remember being ineligible was Reggie for the Gator bowl(maybe?) against WVU. Taylor Bennet started and we lost that one.

I seem to remember a lot of stories about those in attendance a d seeing WVU fans ööööting in the bleachers lol.

I remember listening to the tail end of the game on the radio after a flight back to Atlanta.

I don’t remember all the details, but wasn’t there a lot of speculation that the freshman bback in 2016 (blanking on his name but he dug graves in high school) ended up transferring to Nebraska in part due to grades? I don’t think this diminishes your point, just having fun trying to remember.

Edit: Dedrick Mills

I don’t remember all the details, but wasn’t there a lot of speculation that the freshman bback in 2016 (blanking on his name but he dug graves in high school) ended up transferring to Nebraska in part due to grades? I don’t think this diminishes your point, just having fun trying to remember.

Edit: Dedrick Mills
He couldnt leave maryJ alone

You continue to live in some form of denial that CFB was an amateur sport pre-2021. You’re entitled to feel how you want, and there’s nothing wrong with that. But you’re romanticizing something that hasn’t been reality for 40+ years. Paying players, cheating, etc has been out in the open this whole time. The corrupt NCAA had no clue how to manage it. You think what SMU did in the 80’s was an isolated incident?

I guess I’m never going to understand the mentality that the NCAA, coaches, AD’s and conference commissioners should be multi-millionaires, while the players get nothing. And don’t give me the 1 year renewed scholarship + room & board is worth as much as what players bring to the field. Players can be processed out at any time.

CFB has been the same 8-10 programs or so controlling the sport from 2000 until now. Rotate USC, UF from mid 2000’s in and out for Clemson, and that other school as of late. But tOSU, Bama, LSU, OU, etc have been mainstays. What TCU did 2 years ago was a nice little story, but it ended badly. Other than TCU what team has risen to the top to compete for the MNC out of nowhere?

I’ll ask a sort of relatable question. Did you boycott the NFL a few years ago? Are you watching it again?

GT rose out of nowhere to compete for a NC in 1990, and so did Colorado. FSU sort of rose from the abyss this past year and you can see what the big money did to them.

There is too much money in college football and it damaging the product in my opinion. It started with coaches hopping from school to school and it is ending with players doing the same. It is no different from a bush league pro sport now; so why not watch the NFL which is a far better product with better players. At least the NFL has salary caps and other tools in place so you don't get the same 3 or 4 teams competing for the championship every year.

I did boycott the NFL for an entirely different reason a few years ago, and no I am not really watching it now. I do follow the Falcons on the sports page a little and I did watch the 2nd half of the Superbowl (I was busy during the first half). I will catch a random game here and there if there is nothing else to do.

Kids leaving early is way different form kids jumping schools to me. How would you feel about Kenny and Dennis Scott today if one has jumped to UNC and the other UGA for more money and came back to stomp the mess out of GT? Would you still love Calvin if his final 2 years were in a DWAG uniform?

[
Kids leaving early is way different form kids jumping schools to me. How would you feel about Kenny and Dennis Scott today if one has jumped to UNC and the other UGA for more money and came back to stomp the mess out of GT? Would you still love Calvin if his final 2 years were in a DWAG uniform?
We simply disagree on that. If the player isn’t wearing a GT uniform then I don’t care what he is wearing. Cowboys jersey, a Tarheel jersey, or a Real Madrid jersey because I don’t care about other teams. For instance, I loved Gibbs at GT. A huge recruit for us and a local kid who exploded onto the recruiting scene. But, I didn’t watch hardly any Lions games last year. Same with Haynes King. I like him as a person or player. But once he wears another uniform I don’t have any room left in my life to give two cents about him. Kenny gave me memories for a life time. If he had transferred to UNC it wouldn’t change what he did for GT. And if Calvin wanted to play for UGA then I wouldn’t have cared. I would have been pissed at our head coach who wasn’t able to keep him though. It’s all just business. If you don’t like the new reality, I understand the angst, but either accept your team for what it is today or not.

As for Marbury having to leave due to grades, come on now. Cremins would have found a way to keep him eligible. You know why we won under Cremins and got big time recruits? Because Cremins played the game of his day which is how he pulled Dennis, Kenny, and Marbury from up north. It wasn’t his charming personality like they pretend on TV. Cremins was a good business man who kept his stuff away from the prying eyes of the NCAA.

Back