Expansion Rumors…

Boycott is too strong a word for me. I will still watch it some; but not with the fervor and regularity I had a few years ago. I will probably go to a game this year.... but I used to buy season tickets. I decided not to go to Ireland this year because if I am traveling that far it will be to see Ireland, and not to burn a day at a college football game. I will likely miss 3-4 games completely due to trips on an Alaskan cruise and another to Australia, a few years ago I would have scheduled those trips to not conflict with the season. I once sat in a hotel room in Moscow on a business trip and had my wife skype me a game so I wouldn't miss it, today I would sleep through the game and check the score in the morning. All that to say college football has slid down on my list of priorities, that is not a personal protest, it is a reality.

NIL and the portal did not bring GT back, CBK brought us back after we finally fired the clown. Getting a great QB from the portal was nice, will you be just as happy if he goes elsewhere for more money and better shot at a championship? I don't fault anyone for following every game, and if I lived in ATL or was at school there I would probably attend more games; but I can't pretend loyalty to a bought and paid for roster that will hop as soon as some school offers more money.
I hope you make it to more than one game cause it’s a special season tech is having

[
We simply disagree on that. If the player isn’t wearing a GT uniform then I don’t care what he is wearing. Cowboys jersey, a Tarheel jersey, or a Real Madrid jersey because I don’t care about other teams. For instance, I loved Gibbs at GT. A huge recruit for us and a local kid who exploded onto the recruiting scene. But, I didn’t watch hardly any Lions games last year. Same with Haynes King. I like him as a person or player. But once he wears another uniform I don’t have any room left in my life to give two cents about him. Kenny gave me memories for a life time. If he had transferred to UNC it wouldn’t change what he did for GT. And if Calvin wanted to play for UGA then I wouldn’t have cared. I would have been pissed at our head coach who wasn’t able to keep him though. It’s all just business. If you don’t like the new reality, I understand the angst, but either accept your team for what it is today or not.

As for Marbury having to leave due to grades, come on now. Cremins would have found a way to keep him eligible. You know why we won under Cremins and got big time recruits? Because Cremins played the game of his day which is how he pulled Dennis, Kenny, and Marbury from up north. It wasn’t his charming personality like they pretend on TV. Cremins was a good business man who kept his stuff away from the prying eyes of the NCAA.
I was in a Management class with Marbury and sat next to him. I know for a fact he had grades well below the minimum requirements of being able to come back. He had no intention to come back for his sophomore season, but he was already disqualified anyways.

GT rose out of nowhere to compete for a NC in 1990, and so did Colorado. FSU sort of rose from the abyss this past year and you can see what the big money did to them.

There is too much money in college football and it damaging the product in my opinion. It started with coaches hopping from school to school and it is ending with players doing the same. It is no different from a bush league pro sport now; so why not watch the NFL which is a far better product with better players. At least the NFL has salary caps and other tools in place so you don't get the same 3 or 4 teams competing for the championship every year.

I did boycott the NFL for an entirely different reason a few years ago, and no I am not really watching it now. I do follow the Falcons on the sports page a little and I did watch the 2nd half of the Superbowl (I was busy during the first half). I will catch a random game here and there if there is nothing else to do.
1990 is much different game vs anything since 2000. Since 2000 it’s been the same programs playing in CFP’s, BCS’s for a shot at MNC’s.

1. Alabama (x11)
2. tOSU, Oklahoma (x8)
3. Clemson (x6)
4. FSU, LSU, uga (x4)
5. UF, USC, Michigan, ND (x3)
6. Auburn, Washington, Texas, Oregon, Miami (x2)

FSU did not rise from nowhere last year. FSU went 10-3 in 2022, finishing with 6 straight wins.

The NFL salary cap has prevented the same 3-4 teams playing for a SB every year? Did you watch the Tom Brady era in NE? From 2001-2019 the Patriots went to the SB 9x. Now the Chiefs are going on a run with 4 SB appearances in the last 6 years. More than likely they will be there again this year.

Until the whole house vs NCAA and some kind of agreement between the schools and SA’s is worked out things will still be a little chaotic for another year. The NIL aspect cannot controlled. It’s a free market for SA’s. If a business wants to pay them some stupid amount of $$$ with no contract in place related to performance, that’s on the business itself. I’m not sure why people get so upset about SA’s making $$$ on their own NIL. What was ridiculous is, the NCAA telling kids they are ineligible for selling autographs in which people turned around and sold on EBay, etc for a lot of $$$.

There is a simple fix to the whole SA/school situation once all the lawsuits are settled. Have 1,2,3,4 year guaranteed contracts between the SA and school. Meaning, if the SA and school agree to a 3 year contract, the SA is locked in. It also prevents the coaches from “processing” a player to the Portal for not living up to the HS hype. This same contract will apply to players from the Portal. This will stabalize the game across the board.

1990 is much different game vs anything since 2000. Since 2000 it’s been the same programs playing in CFP’s, BCS’s for a shot at MNC’s.

1. Alabama (x11)
2. tOSU, Oklahoma (x8)
3. Clemson (x6)
4. FSU, LSU, uga (x4)

FSU did not rise from nowhere last year. FSU went 10-3 in 2022, finishing with 6 straight wins.

The NFL salary cap has prevented the same 3-4 teams playing for a SB every year? Did you watch the Tom Brady era in NE? From 2001-2019 the Patriots went to the SB 9x. Now the Chiefs are going on a run with 4 SB appearances in the last 6 years. More than likely they will be there again this year.

Until the whole house vs NCAA and some kind of agreement between the schools and SA’s is worked out things will still be a little chaotic for another year. The NIL aspect cannot controlled. It’s a free market for SA’s. If a business wants to pay them some stupid amount of $$$ with no contract in place related to performance, that’s on the business itself. I’m not sure why people get so upset about SA’s making $$$ on their own NIL. What was ridiculous is, the NCAA telling kids they are ineligible for selling autographs.

There is a simple fix to the whole SA/school situation once all the lawsuits are settled. Have 1,2,3,4 year guaranteed contracts between the SA and school. Meaning, if the SA and school agree to a 3 year contract, the SA is locked in. It also prevents the coaches from “processing” a player to the Portal for not living up to the HS hype. This same contract will apply to players from the Portal. This will stabalize the game across the board.
You forgot TCU and Cincy

If GT doesn’t make the cut, I will watch as much college football as college hockey, which is zero.
Sure. This same notion was said by people who were never going back to the NFL a few years ago. Once emotions in the moment itself are gone, people went back to the NFL. It’s not like GT would stop playing football.

If GT doesn’t “make the cut” as you put it, whose fault is that? And the likelihood that happens is less than 5%.

Sure. This same notion was said by people who were never going back to the NFL a few years ago. Once emotions in the moment itself are gone, people went back to the NFL. It’s not like GT would stop playing football.

If GT doesn’t “make the cut” as you put it, whose fault is that? And the likelihood that happens is less than 5%.

It was OptionJackets wording to describe who makes the P2 and who doesn’t.

College football is foolishly rearranging based on the expectation that there will be interest in a 40-50 team college league. ESPN drove this idea and is starting to see the fruits it bears. It had to dump the pac because it was losing money.

Now, will relegating wsu/osu to the MW increase viewership? Probably not long term. Maybe that gets offset by increased interest in UCF and the b12.

If GT dropped to FCS, I wouldn’t get streaming service each fall. If GT were to get put in a b-bracket, I would do the same.

I can’t really comment on the nfl since I dropped watching it when I had kids. If college football continues down this path of suck, I’ll find something else to watch.

It was OptionJackets wording to describe who makes the P2 and who doesn’t.

College football is foolishly rearranging based on the expectation that there will be interest in a 40-50 team college league. ESPN drove this idea and is starting to see the fruits it bears. It had to dump the pac because it was losing money.

Now, will relegating wsu/osu to the MW increase viewership? Probably not long term. Maybe that gets offset by increased interest in UCF and the b12.

If GT dropped to FCS, I wouldn’t get streaming service each fall. If GT were to get put in a b-bracket, I would do the same.

I can’t really comment on the nfl since I dropped watching it when I had kids. If college football continues down this path of suck, I’ll find something else to watch.
GT is in the b bracket. The ACC absolutely stinks in football. No matter how many times teams like UNC, Miami, VT, get decent pre-season rankings because the media wants them to succeed, the bottom line is those teams always fall on their faces. We are a 2 team league. And even when our champion goes undefeated we get hosed. That’s the definition of a b bracket.

It sucks but this is exactly where the Tobacco Road folks wanted us to be. They couldn’t stand seeing other teams succeed.

I can easily see GT being a top 3 ACC team this year because no team is that impressive in this conference which is why we will get 1 spot out of 12 until the ACC actually wins games that matter. That may sound harsh but we’ve all watched this conference fail in big games for years. At least Clemson showed up a few times.

GT is in the b bracket. The ACC absolutely stinks in football. No matter how many times teams like UNC, Miami, VT, get decent pre-season rankings because the media wants them to succeed, the bottom line is those teams always fall on their faces. We are a 2 team league. And even when our champion goes undefeated we get hosed. That’s the definition of a b bracket.

It sucks but this is exactly where the Tobacco Road folks wanted us to be. They couldn’t stand seeing other teams succeed.

I can easily see GT being a top 3 ACC team this year because no team is that impressive in this conference which is why we will get 1 spot out of 12 until the ACC actually wins games that matter. That may sound harsh but we’ve all watched this conference fail in big games for years. At least Clemson showed up a few times.
Come on. The Big Ten is a two team league, used to be a one team league. The PAC 12 has been a one team league for ten years (Oregon), plus a one hit wonder at Washington.
The ACC has four teams since 1990 that won a NC. The Big Ten has three. The Big 12 now has one. The old PAC 12 had USC and Washington and then CU joined.
The ACC has been a top conference when Tech beats UGA. This is all on us folks.

[
We simply disagree on that. If the player isn’t wearing a GT uniform then I don’t care what he is wearing. Cowboys jersey, a Tarheel jersey, or a Real Madrid jersey because I don’t care about other teams. For instance, I loved Gibbs at GT. A huge recruit for us and a local kid who exploded onto the recruiting scene. But, I didn’t watch hardly any Lions games last year. Same with Haynes King. I like him as a person or player. But once he wears another uniform I don’t have any room left in my life to give two cents about him. Kenny gave me memories for a life time. If he had transferred to UNC it wouldn’t change what he did for GT. And if Calvin wanted to play for UGA then I wouldn’t have cared. I would have been pissed at our head coach who wasn’t able to keep him though. It’s all just business. If you don’t like the new reality, I understand the angst, but either accept your team for what it is today or not.

As for Marbury having to leave due to grades, come on now. Cremins would have found a way to keep him eligible. You know why we won under Cremins and got big time recruits? Because Cremins played the game of his day which is how he pulled Dennis, Kenny, and Marbury from up north. It wasn’t his charming personality like they pretend on TV. Cremins was a good business man who kept his stuff away from the prying eyes of the NCAA.

Cremins "stuff" wasn't rocket surgery. He promised kids playing minutes in the ACC their first year, and he delivered. If there had been something to turn into the NCAA the Carolina mafia would have done it.

Come on. The Big Ten is a two team league, used to be a one team league. The PAC 12 has been a one team league for ten years (Oregon), plus a one hit wonder at Washington.
The ACC has four teams since 1990 that won a NC. The Big Ten has three. The Big 12 now has one. The old PAC 12 had USC and Washington and then CU joined.
The ACC has been a top conference when Tech beats UGA. This is all on us folks.
Completely false as it relates to the P12. How could the P12 have been a “1 team league for 10 years (Oregon)” as you put it, yet here are a list of the last 10 P12 champions (excluding the nonsense of a 5 game 2020 season).

2013: Stanford
2014: Oregon
2015: Stanford
2016: Washington
2017: USC
2018: Washington
2019: Oregon
2021: Utah
2022: Utah
2023: Washington

Washington has 2 CFP berths to Oregon’s 1. Washington has more P12 championships during that same time period.

The ACC has been a middling league for quite some time. The ACC is not just good when GT beats uga (3x in 15+ years) as you put it, but when the ACC as a whole can win rivalry weekend, period. And lately it’s been Clemson, FSU carrying the league that weekend. Louisville continues to wet the bed against UK. And uga is currently at an all time high. Unfortunately, no one not named Alabama has beaten them in quite some time.

You seriously need to start watching CFB in general more if you think the B1G is only a 2 team league now. The B1G was very top heavy (tOSU, UM, PSU, Wisky, Iowa), but is even tougher now with the 3 additions.

The ACC has a chance early to set the tone as the league with the best QB’s. It worked for the P12 last year. This is a statement year for the ACC as a whole. They need to win a majority of the OOC games from NCSU-Tennessee, Cal-Auburn, Miami-UF, Clemson-UGA, Duke-NW, Pitt-Cincy, etc.

1. Alabama (x11)
2. tOSU, Oklahoma (x8)
3. Clemson (x6)
4. FSU, LSU, uga (x4)

You missed the concept of what I was saying apparently. We didn't sudden go from worst to first in one season in 1990 either, it took from about '84 or '87 (opinions vary) to '90 to get there. FSU was 3-6 in 2020, mostly irrelevant in college football, with their last winning season in 2016. It took Norvell 4 years to rebuild the team. They were so bad that even coach clown beat them.

You missed the concept of what I was saying apparently. We didn't sudden go from worst to first in one season in 1990 either, it took from about '84 or '87 (opinions vary) to '90 to get there. FSU was 3-6 in 2020, mostly irrelevant in college football, with their last winning season in 2016. It took Norvell 4 years to rebuild the team. They were so bad that even coach clown beat them.
Fair enough. In fact, I’d say what Norvell fixed in a relatively short amount of time when you consider that Jimbo left FSU in a mess, followed by the complete failure of a hire in Taggartis impressive. So with the roster a mess, Norvell walks into FSU with the world shutting down due to COVID, and the overall recruiting limitations he dealt with in 2020, 2021. He has done a helluva job getting that program back no doubt about it.

Completely false as it relates to the P12. How could the P12 have been a “1 team league for 10 years (Oregon)” as you put it, yet here are a list of the last 10 P12 champions (excluding the nonsense of a 5 game 2020 season).

Washington has 2 CFP berths to Oregon’s 1. Washington has more P12 championships during that same time period.

The ACC has been a middling league for quite some time. The ACC is not just good when GT beats uga (3x in 15+ years) as you put it, but when the ACC as a whole can win rivalry weekend, period. And lately it’s been Clemson, FSU carrying the league that weekend. Louisville continues to wet the bed against UK. And uga is currently at an all time high. Unfortunately, no one not named Alabama has beaten them in quite some time.

You seriously need to start watching CFB in general more if you think the B1G is only a 2 team league now. The B1G was very top heavy (tOSU, UM, PSU, Wisky, Iowa), but is even tougher now with the 3 additions.

The ACC has a chance early to set the tone as the league with the best QB’s. It worked for the P12 last year. This is a statement year for the ACC as a whole. They need to win a majority of the OOC games from NCSU-Tennessee, Cal-Auburn, Miami-UF, Clemson-UGA, Duke-NW, Pitt-Cincy, etc.
I didn’t say there were numerous champions in conferences, I was talking about winning it all or coming close. Oregon had the best chances to win it all, one team.
The same holds true for the Big Trn: 2 teams. Since PSU joined the Big, they have not gotten far enough. Wisconsin came closest but never quite got far enough.
The ACC has four teams that won a championship, only the SEC has more (5).

I’ve watched <10 minutes of NFL in the last ?5 years.

I didn’t say there were numerous champions in conferences, I was talking about winning it all or coming close. Oregon had the best chances to win it all, one team.
The same holds true for the Big Trn: 2 teams. Since PSU joined the Big, they have not gotten far enough. Wisconsin came closest but never quite got far enough.
The ACC has four teams that won a championship, only the SEC has more (5).
Again. Another absolutely false post. Washington literally just played for the National Championship 7 months ago. Washington also made the CFP in 2016 losing to Alabama. Oregon last played in the CFP in year 1 (2014) beating FSU in the semis and getting whipped by tOSU in the CFP MNC. Washington 2 > 1.

Miami, Duke, and Pitt may win.

Again. Another absolutely false post. Washington literally just played for the National Championship 7 months ago. Washington also made the CFP in 2016 losing to Alabama. Oregon last played in the CFP in year 1 (2014) beating FSU in the semis and getting whipped by tOSU in
The P12 was the greatest and I personally can’t wait for their dominant return.

Tired of this thread...

1722988456998.png

Looks like the B12/UCONN are in “early talks” in UCONN becoming a member. Going to be a hurdle for UCONN football to get the $$$ and facilities in place by 2031 to show they can make the move back into the P4. Hoops and baseball are a no brainer.

Back