Expansion Rumors…

first, why? you sound like the college gameday 'experts'
and, too, what the öööö is wrong with you?
Because UGAg is nowhere near FSU.

I hate Kirby as much as anyone, but they are pretty much the most well oiled machine in CFB right now.

Our rivalry with UGAg isn't like Virginia playing Virginia Tech or UNC playing Duke, where any team can pretty well win. Our is we have to play a damn near perfect game to beat UGAg.

Clemson still has, and still gets, talented recruits for positions all over the field. What Clemson has not had the last few years is Watson or Lawrence starting at QB.
Agreed. Klubnik hasn’t panned out like everyone thought, including me. Let’s hope the light does not come on for him.

Clemson still has, and still gets, talented recruits for positions all over the field. What Clemson has not had the last few years is Watson or Lawrence starting at QB.
They don’t have nfl quality WR or RB talent anymore either

Dabo is unnecessary handicapping his team. You can't build a championship team flipping your roster every season like Coach Prime; but you can fill spots with the portal. GT proved today that bringing in a starting QB and some DL help through the portal can help your team bigly. Clemson was a top 10, or even top 5 team under Dabo before the rule change, it is not now. Dabo's refusal to use the portal is big part of why Clemson is now a good team; but not the team to beat in the ACC anymore.
You are completely overlooking facts as it relates to GT vs Clemson.

GT did not have a proven QB and took a chance on Haynes King coming off an injury and wanting out of a sinking ship at TAMU under Jimbo.

Clemson had the #1HS QB in the country in Cade Klubnik entering his soph season after playing a few games his freshman year after the former #1 HS QB in the country DJU was benched/not panning out.

Look at that in context a moment. On paper Clemson had 2 5* #1 QB’s vs GT who had Jeff Sims.

Clemson’s only questions going into the 2024 season are OL depth and can they finally find the “IT” WR’s. That’s what Clemson has truly been missing. Elite WR’s. The 4* WR’s they’ve signed just haven’t been the Tee Higgins, Justyn Ross type WR’s they’ve been used to.

How about actually looking at Clemson’s roster before stating Dabo’s reluctance to use the Portal is such a concern. If Clemson fails to win 10 games again this year, and Dabo still doesn’t use the Portal, then I’ll agree that Dabo is not adapting to the new age of CFB sort of like Lincoln Riley failing to understand the type of D players you need to compliment an elite O.

You are completely overlooking facts as it relates to GT vs Clemson.

GT did not have a proven QB and took a chance on Haynes King coming off an injury and wanting out of a sinking ship at TAMU under Jimbo.

Clemson had the #1HS QB in the country in Cade Klubnik entering his soph season after playing a few games his freshman year after the former #1 HS QB in the country DJU was benched/not panning out.

Look at that in context a moment. On paper Clemson had 2 5* #1 QB’s vs GT who had Jeff Sims.

Clemson’s only questions going into the 2024 season are OL depth and can they finally find the “IT” WR’s. That’s what Clemson has truly been missing. Elite WR’s. The 4* WR’s they’ve signed just haven’t been the Tee Higgins, Justyn Ross type WR’s they’ve been used to.

How about actually looking at Clemson’s roster before stating Dabo’s reluctance to use the Portal is such a concern. If Clemson fails to win 10 games again this year, and Dabo still doesn’t use the Portal, then I’ll agree that Dabo is not adapting to the new age of CFB sort of like Lincoln Riley failing to understand the type of D players you need to compliment an elite O.

The whole concept is completely going over your head. Every other top team is taking advantage of the portal, maybe not making wholesale changes; but tweaking what they have and making it better. Dabo is handicapping his team because of his own perception of ethics and values. It is very similar to the way Bobby Dodd sand bagged GT. If Dabo convinces Clemson to leave the ACC, and the SEC and B1G show no interest the Bobby Dodd imitation will be complete. Clemson is in decline because the head coach has decided he doesn't like the new rules and has thus far refused to play by them. Sound familar?

The whole concept is completely going over your head. Every other top team is taking advantage of the portal, maybe not making wholesale changes; but tweaking what they have and making it better. Dabo is handicapping his team because of his own perception of ethics and values. It is very similar to the way Bobby Dodd sand bagged GT. If Dabo convinces Clemson to leave the ACC, and the SEC and B1G show no interest the Bobby Dodd imitation will be complete. Clemson is in decline because the head coach has decided he doesn't like the new rules and has thus far refused to play by them. Sound familar?
OK so let’s look at this 2-fold.

1. Who’s to say Clemson didn’t go after someone like Judkins? Maybe a top tier Portal WR or 2, and just didn’t get them.
2. If Clemson didn’t get one of the bigger names in the Portal, don’t you think the roster full of 4-5* players are better than the next tier in the Portal? That’s up to the coaching staff to evaluate.

There is a significant difference in the “average star” depth at Clemson vs 75% of the programs in the P4.

OK so let’s look at this 2-fold.

1. Who’s to say Clemson didn’t go after someone like Judkins? Maybe a top tier Portal WR or 2, and just didn’t get them.
2. If Clemson didn’t get one of the bigger names in the Portal, don’t you think the roster full of 4-5* players are better than the next tier in the Portal? That’s up to the coaching staff to evaluate.

There is a significant difference in the “average star” depth at Clemson vs 75% of the programs in the P4.

The debate isn’t if Clemson is a top 25 program, it is whether they can be a top 5 program. That doesn’t appear possible without playing the portal well.

The debate isn’t if Clemson is a top 25 program, it is whether they can be a top 5 program. That doesn’t appear possible without playing the portal well.
Top 5 doesn’t matter anymore. You just have to be in the Top 11 to make the CFP. Clemson is still in the 7-10 range program wise nationally. I mean, who do you think is better situated in the new CFP, Clemson or ND?

Top 5 doesn’t matter anymore. You just have to be in the Top 11 to make the CFP.

First round of the playoff doesn’t mean öööö. It is a “thanks for making the next round look open, here’s an extra home game for your trouble “.

I don't understand the love for VT lately, nor the respect Syracuse is getting. They got a guy as a first time head coach and no offense.
I was wondering about that myself this morning. Seems heavily based on some incoming transfers on defense, and the somewhat contradictory assumption that their defense will repeat last year's performance. I guess we'll see. I think it was CFN's projections who said 6 wins for Tech, 7.5 for VPI. But they also had us losing to Florida State.

First round of the playoff doesn’t mean öööö. It is a “thanks for making the next round look open, here’s an extra home game for your trouble “.
Being a Top 10-15 team is still likely the #1 team in the ACC ala a guaranteed Top 4 seeding. Are you really going to tell me that FSU, Miami on down are better positioned currently and in the foreseeable future over Clemson in the ACC?

FSU had 17 new players Saturday via the Portal, and tried to boast as the best OL/DL in the league. Flip that over to GT returning 95% of their starters on OL and most of the contributors on the DL minus Height. That’s continuity. And who on both LOS’s dominated the game?

Being a Top 10-15 team is still likely the #1 team in the ACC ala a guaranteed Top 4 seeding. Are you really going to tell me that FSU, Miami on down are better positioned currently and in the foreseeable future over Clemson in the ACC?

FSU had 17 new players Saturday via the Portal, and tried to boast as the best OL/DL in the league. Flip that over to GT returning 95% of their starters on OL and most of the contributors on the DL minus Height. That’s continuity. And who on both LOS’s dominated the game?

No one is talking about being the best team in the acc. No one cares about VTs run with zero national relevance.

Clemson was at that top level. They won’t get back there being a net negative in the portal.

I think Dabo is using it as a selling point for recruits. “We’re going to invest our time and money into getting you to the pros. We’re not going to dump you for the hottest portal guy.”

I can at least understand the strategy. We’ll see if it works for him.

Man, some of y’all just think about today and don’t ever plan I guess. Dabo will absolutely use the portal. He’s just been in that odd position where he’s had 4 and 5 stars so the portal wouldn’t be an upgrade. And he probably has tried with the premier guys and it didn’t work out. Compare that to FSU who used the portal as much as anyone and they have fallen down the food chain. Teams like GT absolutely have thrived in the portal because we could replace 2 and 3 stars quite easily and see an uptick in productivity. We may not use the portal nearly as much in the future if our recruiting classes pan out and have less positions of need. Dabo has just figured so far that his talent he has may be better than what was in the portal. We didn’t take a lot of portal players for the exact same reason. We also took some to replace guys who weren’t getting it done. He will to when the time is right. Perhaps IPTAY simply buys Singleton next year if their WR’s don’t get it done. Then y’all will whine that Dabo is using it too much.

Back