Expansion Rumors…

OK so let’s look at this 2-fold.

1. Who’s to say Clemson didn’t go after someone like Judkins? Maybe a top tier Portal WR or 2, and just didn’t get them.
2. If Clemson didn’t get one of the bigger names in the Portal, don’t you think the roster full of 4-5* players are better than the next tier in the Portal? That’s up to the coaching staff to evaluate.

There is a significant difference in the “average star” depth at Clemson vs 75% of the programs in the P4.

1. Dabo is to say. He has made it clear that Clemson is not going to use the portal.

2. Clemson lost a 4 star player through the portal to Texas, and another player to ND; probably because Texas and ND could out NIL Clemson. I just don't see how that helps Clemson.

Even UGA took 11 players from the portal and their recruiting has been extremely high ranked the past few years. If Clemson goes out and beats UGA this weekend it will go a long way towards proving me wrong and you right.

1. Dabo is to say. He has made it clear that Clemson is not going to use the portal.

2. Clemson lost a 4 star player through the portal to Texas, and another player to ND; probably because Texas and ND could out NIL Clemson. I just don't see how that helps Clemson.

Even UGA took 11 players from the portal and their recruiting has been extremely high ranked the past few years. If Clemson goes out and beats UGA this weekend it will go a long way towards proving me wrong and you right.
Every coach has handled the portal on their timetable. GT didn’t jump on board immediately and really just started using it 2 years ago. And we really haven’t played the NIL game until this year. This is just a useless discussion that will be funny to remember when Clemson is taking portal guys left and right.

No one is talking about being the best team in the acc. No one cares about VTs run with zero national relevance.

Clemson was at that top level. They won’t get back there being a net negative in the portal.
Clemson has the 5th most talented team in the country according to 247. So based on that, where exactly do they need to add/drop 10 or so players a year? Clemson is keeping more players than they are losing to the Portal annually.

Just because Dabo said publicly that Clemson didn’t look around in the Portal, doesn’t mean there weren’t coaches reaching out to players who were rumored to be Portal bound before and after Christmas.

uga is also losing more players to the Portal annually over Clemson. That’s bound to happen right now at uga. Only 1 QB, etc can play.

Listen, I don’t care if either one of us is right or wrong. Clemson can go 2-10 (which will never happen) this year (beating uga, UofSC) and I’d be happy. I just think it’s too early to say that not using the Portal means the program is going to decline to the Tommy Bowden era per se. Do I think Clemson wins this weekend? I’m closer to 50/50 that they can. And even if they lose, I don’t think it’s a blowout either. People are really overlooking the talent Clemson has, especially that front 7 on D. It’s the best front 7 uga will face all year. Combine that with uga being down 4+ starters, including 2 DL to injuries. Rumor is they are starting a walk-on at RB due to injuries and Ettiene supposedly being suspended.

Just because Dabo said publicly that Clemson didn’t look around in the Portal, doesn’t mean there weren’t coaches reaching out to players who were rumored to be Portal bound before and after Christmas.

uga is also losing more players to the Portal annually over Clemson. That’s bound to happen right now at uga. Only 1 QB, etc can play.

Listen, I don’t care if either one of us is right or wrong. Clemson can go 2-10 (which will never happen) this year (beating uga, UofSC) and I’d be happy. I just think it’s too early to say that not using the Portal means the program is going to decline to the Tommy Bowden era per se. Do I think Clemson wins this weekend? I’m closer to 50/50 that they can. And even if they lose, I don’t think it’s a blowout either. People are really overlooking the talent Clemson has, especially that front 7 on D. It’s the best front 7 uga will face all year. Combine that with uga being down 4+ starters, including 2 DL to injuries. Rumor is they are starting a walk-on at RB due to injuries and Ettiene supposedly being suspended.
The infuriating thing is, the game doesn’t even matter for the dwags. SEC teams can lose 3 games and still get in the playoff

Every coach has handled the portal on their timetable. GT didn’t jump on board immediately and really just started using it 2 years ago. And we really haven’t played the NIL game until this year. This is just a useless discussion that will be funny to remember when Clemson is taking portal guys left and right.

No one has been more outspoken against the portal than Dabo. You can stick your head in the sand all you want; but he definitively said he wouldn't use it. He may change his mind if Clemson misses the playoffs again this season, we'll see.

The fact no one wanted to come play for the clown 3 years ago really doesn't support your argument.

Man, some of y’all just think about today and don’t ever plan I guess. Dabo will absolutely use the portal. He’s just been in that odd position where he’s had 4 and 5 stars so the portal wouldn’t be an upgrade. And he probably has tried with the premier guys and it didn’t work out. Compare that to FSU who used the portal as much as anyone and they have fallen down the food chain. Teams like GT absolutely have thrived in the portal because we could replace 2 and 3 stars quite easily and see an uptick in productivity. We may not use the portal nearly as much in the future if our recruiting classes pan out and have less positions of need. Dabo has just figured so far that his talent he has may be better than what was in the portal. We didn’t take a lot of portal players for the exact same reason. We also took some to replace guys who weren’t getting it done. He will to when the time is right. Perhaps IPTAY simply buys Singleton next year if their WR’s don’t get it done. Then y’all will whine that Dabo is using it too much.
What about QB and WR?

Clemson has the 5th most talented team in the country according to 247. So based on that, where exactly do they need to add/drop 10 or so players a year? Clemson is keeping more players than they are losing to the Portal annually.

1724757845475.png

Yes, but a lot of that talent is 18 and riding pine for a couple of years, not 21 with 3 years starting experience. You have to combine look to the future with win now in my eyes.

I don’t know. More talented teams above them are doing it. Where are uga and bama putting them?

Clemson lost 3 quality players to the portal last year. They added zero.

I don’t know. More talented teams above them are doing it. Where are uga and bama putting them?

Clemson lost 3 quality players to the portal last year. They added zero.
Yep. And Clemson isn’t the team starting a walk-on at RB Saturday now are they? The depth at uga at RB and DL is thin right now due to injuries/speeding.

The DB (Pride) who went to Mizzou and NB Makuba (Texas) are really the only impactful losses. WR Collins (ND) never lived up to the hype at Clemson. So they had a net loss of 2 impactful players on paper right now. Most schools lost more than that, and have yet to see if the Portal replacements will work out.

Why would they? Swofford gave them a sweetheart deal
They could give all that money to the SEC instead. For a serious answer, they could think they can negotiate something even less than said sweetheart deal.

They could give all that money to the SEC instead. For a serious answer, they could think they can negotiate something even less than said sweetheart deal.
And they'd lose additional markets doing it.

Bill Armstrong and Billy Embody sit with SMU Board Chair David B. Miller to talk about SMU's winding journey to the ACC, the future of the university.
1. P12, B12, ACC all said SMU was wanted
2. How & Why NC State flipped their vote
3. ESPN add of Calford & SMU is worth $30M each or $90M per year to the ACC before you talk ACC Network monies and shares

Bill Armstrong and Billy Embody sit with SMU Board Chair David B. Miller to talk about SMU's winding journey to the ACC, the future of the university.
1. P12, B12, ACC all said SMU was wanted
2. How & Why NC State flipped their vote
3. ESPN add of Calford & SMU is worth $30M each or $90M per year to the ACC before you talk ACC Network monies and shares

Thanks for posting this - very informative and the Chairman is surprisingly very open about the process. These guys are typical Texans, a little full of themselves, but they appear to tell the truth. Several interesting parts including they appeared headed to the Pac12 and that blew up in their face. The calling the Big12 "the truck stop conference" was funny.

I think SMU was a good addition for ACC . Money talks B@@@@@@@ walks and they fit the conference academically. Not taking a share for 9 years was quite a deal for ACC. But SMU was in a pickle. PAC12 was defunct and they were blocked from Big12 by Baylor and TCU. So after originally offering the ACC no share for 3 years, they had to settle on no share for 9 years - and PAC12 probably would have given them money shares immediately had they not imploded. They were worried N C State was tied at the hip with UNC but turned out that was not the case. Interesting story - I bet Stanford would not be so forthcoming.

Back