Expansion Rumors…

You really think the main reason for this round of expansion is cable TV markets? This isn’t 2008-2014 anymore. Let’s simplify this by going back to last summer. While UW is in Seattle, Oregon is the complete opposite. Did the B1G care? No. It was about strengthening the league from a football perspective. Oregon is an huge football brand. Otherwise, why didn’t the B1G go for Utah (Salt Lake City) or Colorado (Denver) instead?
By backup, I mean actual backup. Like this:

How did we get here? Following the situation as closely as I have, there’s no doubt that television money is the driving force behind all of these moving parts.

TV Money Built the Modern Power 5. Then Destroyed It.

It’s not destroyed, it’s better.

I just can’t understand how any college football fan will miss 65-0 blowouts instead of having better matchups. I also can’t understand how any fan would want less playoff games, especially GT fans since our only hope is expansion into the 20’s.

TV has been the greatest thing to happen to all sports ever. I can now sit in my house and watch any game in the entire country. I also get to see real playoff games instead of meaningless bogus bowl games.

You old guys who long for the days of 1 game a week on TV and then traveling to a worthless bowl, while ND or Bama get voted as National Champion will just have to keep those wonderful memories alive in your mind.

You really think the main reason for this round of expansion is cable TV markets? This isn’t 2008-2014 anymore. Let’s simplify this by going back to last summer. While UW is in Seattle, Oregon is the complete opposite. Did the B1G care? No. It was about strengthening the league from a football perspective. Oregon is an huge football brand. Otherwise, why didn’t the B1G go for Utah (Salt Lake City) or Colorado (Denver) instead?
The fact that they took 2 very different teams indicates that there are multiple factors to consider when looking at expansion teams, not just program strength or TV market.

One thing is consistent though, leagues are adding in pairs. You don't have to be the strongest football program to get the invite if you have other factors that are appealing. There have been multiple reports lately that indicate the B1G is not interested in FSU and Clemson as a pair. But FSU and GT, or Clemson and GT, could be more appealing to league presidents. Market alone probably won't be enough to get GT in, but market, location, football state and culture, natural rivalry pairing, and potential might.

TV markets- Seattle #12 > Denver #16……Portland #22 > Salt Lake City #29, plus WA and OR are natural rivals and make a nice regional pod with USC and UCLA.

I just can’t understand how any college football fan will miss 65-0 blowouts instead of having better matchups. I also can’t understand how any fan would want less playoff games, especially GT fans since our only hope is expansion into the 20’s.

TV has been the greatest thing to happen to all sports ever. I can now sit in my house and watch any game in the entire country. I also get to see real playoff games instead of meaningless bogus bowl games.

You old guys who long for the days of 1 game a week on TV and then traveling to a worthless bowl, while ND or Bama get voted as National Champion will just have to keep those wonderful memories alive in your mind.
I’m with you, I want all the high quality fb matchups possible. I am fine with cfb turning into a glorified version of the nfc/afc and having a long, drawn-out playoff system……just as long as Tech makes the cut into the BIG or SEC

Nike is the only significant attraction for Oregon. Without that money they would be irrelevant.

Tech got voted one of those national championships one time.

It's a question of perspective, or point of view or something. Haven't had a national championship game finish with less than 2 TD difference in 6 years and one of em was awfully close to 65-0, so not sure parity is on the upswing. We'll see have to see if more playoff games actually translates to better matchups. For myself, I don't see shaving down the competition and overloading the same teams and brands playing each other as that big a leap in better matchups.

TV markets- Seattle #12 > Denver #16……Portland #22 > Salt Lake City #29, plus WA and OR are natural rivals and make a nice regional pod with USC and UCLA.
The TV market was not the main reason why the B1G grabbed Oregon, Washington. This was about brands and keeping up with the sec. Combine that with taking a reduced rate for a period of time. Just like UCLA joining the B1G was solely because they tagged along with USC. Had the B1G not landed USC, the P12 would still be a conference.

If the B1G wanted a more regional pod, they would have taken Stanford, Cal instead. There’s a big reason why they didn’t. Those brands don’t resonate and aren’t competing for conference championships right now. Plus, neither generate any attendance. Just wait until you watch a riveting Stanford or Cal game vs an ACC school in front of a max of 20,000.

Circling back to TV for a moment. You do realize there are a LOT of games on Peacock. Not everyone gets Peacock as a cable TV subscriber, unless you’re with Comcast. Oregon has 3 games already slated for Peacock ala PPV if you don’t have Comcast.

Nike is the only significant attraction for Oregon. Without that money they would be irrelevant.
OK. But that’s not the case though now is it? Phil Knight and Nike have created a “brand” in Oregon that resonates nationally.

Oregon is a legitimate National Championship program right now. A lot of people think they are going to win the B1G. Dan Lanning is absolutely killing it in recruiting + Portal. I’m not as sold on Dylan Gabriel as others, but he’s Bo Nix x2. Been playing CFB for a decade it seems now.

Let me also say that the argument you’re using is that those blowouts shouldn’t happen. They are happening because the programs who are at the top are still scheduling division 2 teams and lesser group of five programs as tune up games. Do you not understand that Ohio state and uga want those games? Are you saying they need to get rid of the lesser power five programs? Right now Tech is getting cut. If you want that just so you can watch competitive football while Tech is left out then you by my standards are a complete retard. And I kindly ask you to öööö off.

Not beating UGAg when we could have and should have with PJ, plus the embarrassment of the clown really hurt us.

We really need to win at least 8 games this year and going forward. We have a tough schedule, but it seems we have better support now. We have to get some wins.

Let me also say that the argument you’re using is that those blowouts shouldn’t happen. They are happening because the programs who are at the top are still scheduling division 2 teams and lesser group of five programs as tune up games. Do you not understand that Ohio state and uga want those games? Are you saying they need to get rid of the lesser power five programs? Right now Tech is getting cut. If you want that just so you can watch competitive football while Tech is left out then you by my standards are a complete retard. And I kindly ask you to öööö off.
What a want, and what is happening no matter what any of us believe, is more conference games and less ridiculous games. Sure, UGA, OSU, and GT schedule some easy games. But it wasn’t long ago instead of it being 1 or 2 it was 3. Soon, it will be 1 which I’m fine with. Everyone needs a scrimmage game.

As for GT, they are big boys and have made their big boy decisions - the vast majority which have sunk the program. If GT gets left out that’s on us and our leadership so I’m not gonna cry. Decisions have consequences and GT has been and will continue to live with theirs. We could be a SEC member today and we could have been a BIG member today so if GT gets left out of whatever is coming they only have the mirror to blame. Hopefully, the crew in charge today can overcome the past and leads us to a better future.

It's a question of perspective, or point of view or something. Haven't had a national championship game finish with less than 2 TD difference in 6 years and one of em was awfully close to 65-0, so not sure parity is on the upswing. We'll see have to see if more playoff games actually translates to better matchups. For myself, I don't see shaving down the competition and overloading the same teams and brands playing each other as that big a leap in better matchups.
So you think a 45-10 game between Michigan and South Carolina is equivalent to a 45-10 game between Michigan and Akron? I don’t.

I’m with you, I want all the high quality fb matchups possible. I am fine with cfb turning into a glorified version of the nfc/afc and having a long, drawn-out playoff system……just as long as Tech makes the cut into the BIG or SEC
That’s a GT issue. I can separate GT from the sport. I hope GT makes the cut, but even if they don’t I still want good matchups when I’m not watching GT play. GT made its own bed. We were one of the originals in the SEC and we gave them the finger. We weren’t kicked out, we left.

Back