Expansion Rumors…

What's the point of all these posts essentially saying the same thing over and over? We'll never be Bama or Ugag, so why not settle for a conference with peers nobody cares about?

Decades from now the biggest programs in the country could split off and keep all the money for themselves, or maybe they don't. Texas already tried something akin to this by rolling with their own network and they basically destroyed their conference and hurt a lot of feelings along the way. So maybe the bigger programs split off from the smaller ones down the road, maybe they don't. It's unpredictable at this point, so I think it's irrelevant to the more pressing issue.

The B1G and the SEC are the premier conferences because of money. GT needs to find a way to get a golden ticket from one of them. I was against the idea of joining the B1G the last time the rumors were going on because I figured why trade away matchups with FSU, Clemson, and Miami - I was wrong. I thought the ACC could right the ship, it hasn't and it seems more likely that we will lose our most compelling regional matchups before the ACC has another chance to get the finances on par with SEC/B1G. It's untenable for GT's future staying in the ACC, as it is for all the football schools. Hopefully our president is building relationships to secure our future and not throwing his hands up at the idea that maybe some premier league is going to eventually emerge.
What's the point of all these posts in this thread saying the same things over and over? Because folks here keep getting hot and bothered over and over about something that we have little to no control over.

1. We tried gaining readmission to the SECheat back in 1978. No less than Bobby Dodd, Bear Bryant and Ray Graves were spearheading that effort. It was declined. The SECheat subsequently expanded in 1992, adding USCe and Arkansas, a scant 2 years after GA Tech won an MNC. No mention of GA Tech other than we didn't meet their need for expansion. They expanded again in 2012, adding TAMU and Missouri, again with no mention of GA Tech except that we didn't meet their need for expansion. They announced expansion yet again in 2022, once again with no mention of GA Tech. Yet somehow, some folks here think there's a magic switch for readmission. It's not happening.

2. I'm not convinced that you're correct about it being untenable to stay in the ACC. Inventory is inventory and those SECheat/B1G teams will have to play OOC at some point. If they don't, and just play with themselves, then so be it. Nobody will know the difference because we'll all just be playing among ourselves, too. You can tune in to semi-pro ball or you can tune in to college ball. Take your pick.

I understand continuing to play the cesspool. I do not understand why we continue to schedule the other SEC schools that kept us from returning to the conference. There is no reason to give the Mississippi schools an opportunity to play in Atlanta.

I understand continuing to play the cesspool. I do not understand why we continue to schedule the other SEC schools that kept us from returning to the conference. There is no reason to give the Mississippi schools an opportunity to play in Atlanta.
Somehow folks think if we appease them they will like us. We played UGAg, Auburn, and UT every year all through the 70’s and yet Auburn and UGAg voted no us in 1978. The Mississippis hated us because Dodd wouldn’t play them. They won’t like us anymore today. That approach just doesn’t work.

I'm not a lawyer; but how could you argue in court that monetary damages alone are unsufficient when you have already written that monetary damages, the GOR, is the remedy for harm done by departure in the contract??
Where did I write that? Either I was not clear, or drunk when I wrote that, or you misinterpreted what I wrote. I absolutely reject the idea that monetary damages are suffcient to remedy the harm of a premature departure. College football is more than money.

Not the "Atlanta" öööö again.

I can think of one real good rea$on to pay Mi$$i$$ippi $chool$ in Atlanta? Gue$$ which game had the highe$t attendance at BD$ la$t year . . . .by $everal thou$and.

Where did I write that? Either I was not clear, or drunk when I wrote that, or you misinterpreted what I wrote. I absolutely reject the idea that monetary damages are suffcient to remedy the harm of a premature departure. College football is more than money.
How would someone calculate the “harm of a premature departure”? I don’t believe FSU, Miami, or even GT signed or pledged anything that stated they would never leave the ACC.
If it is more than money, what is it? If monetizing a perceived harm isn’t the answer, what is?

What's the point of all these posts essentially saying the same thing over and over? We'll never be Bama or Ugag, so why not settle for a conference with peers nobody cares about?

Decades from now the biggest programs in the country could split off and keep all the money for themselves, or maybe they don't. Texas already tried something akin to this by rolling with their own network and they basically destroyed their conference and hurt a lot of feelings along the way. So maybe the bigger programs split off from the smaller ones down the road, maybe they don't. It's unpredictable at this point, so I think it's irrelevant to the more pressing issue.

The B1G and the SEC are the premier conferences because of money. GT needs to find a way to get a golden ticket from one of them. I was against the idea of joining the B1G the last time the rumors were going on because I figured why trade away matchups with FSU, Clemson, and Miami - I was wrong. I thought the ACC could right the ship, it hasn't and it seems more likely that we will lose our most compelling regional matchups before the ACC has another chance to get the finances on par with SEC/B1G. It's untenable for GT's future staying in the ACC, as it is for all the football schools. Hopefully our president is building relationships to secure our future and not throwing his hands up at the idea that maybe some premier league is going to eventually emerge.
So you were wrong before. What makes you think you're right now?

How would someone calculate the “harm of a premature departure”? I don’t believe FSU, Miami, or even GT signed or pledged anything that stated they would never leave the ACC.
If it is more than money, what is it? If monetizing a perceived harm isn’t the answer, what is?
An injunction against it.

Based on what? Can the homeowner association file an injunction to prevent me from selling my house? This is nutty logic. Why didn’t the Big12 file an injunction against Texas and Oklahoma. Hell, why didn’t the BigEast file an injunction when VT, Miami and BC, and then Pitt and Syracuse left…talk about harm! That ended the league as a football conference

Based on what? Can the homeowner association file an injunction to prevent me from selling my house? This is nutty logic. Why didn’t the Big12 file an injunction against Texas and Oklahoma. Hell, why didn’t the BigEast file an injunction when VT, Miami and BC, and then Pitt and Syracuse left…talk about harm! That ended the league as a football conference
Do OU and UT have remaining obligations to the BIG 12 beyond 2024? I think not. So the most the Big-12 could hold them up for was one more season anyway. The Big-12 decided it was better to settle out that one year for $100 million. I imagine something similar might happen in 2034 if some ACC teams want to leave a year early.

I don't know the facts about the Big East, so I can't comment on that.

I assume you're saying that they would break the GOR? They'd have to or there would be no grounds for an injunction.
The GOR is a monetary thing. It has nothing to do with binding a school from deciding to leave the conference. Sure, the conference would seek remuneration from a school walking away from that. But they certainly could not bar them from leaving. I don’t know why that is so difficult to understand.

The GOR is a monetary thing. It has nothing to do with binding a school from deciding to leave the conference. Sure, the conference would seek remuneration from a school walking away from that. But they certainly could not bar them from leaving. I don’t know why that is so difficult to understand.

The Atlantic Coast Conference is nothing more than a Grant of Rights? I find it amusing to read about how absolutely fatal it would be to Tech, its fans, and its student athletes to no longer be able to compete in a major college football conference if Clemson, Miami, F$U and UNC left the ACC . . . and then read folks like you argue, "Ahhh, it's just money."

FWIW, I also understand that there is an exit fee of $120 million on top of the GOR still being in place until 2035 (BTW, I dont know a court could possibly determine with ANY degree of certainty the value of that 12 years from now . . . ).

So this whole thing seems moot to me, and the idea that Tech is going to the B1G or SEC is so mastubatory . . . this thread is worthless. Have fun.

How about this. Since college degrees are not for everyone and like someone stated earlier, college is going to see some major changes in the near future - who wants to graduate with all the debt? Would it be possible for GT to start a student program where when you graduate, you are an electrician, a plumber, a construction PM, whatever. It would consist of the training and all the testing to become a fully licensed journyman or whatever the term would be. Perhaps even include courses and training for setting up and running your own business - IRS, business licensing, advertising. etc. That way, when people get out, they have a very defined skill set to rely on.

Making people stay that don't want to be there is a recipe for utopia.

Making people stay that don't want to be there is a recipe for utopia.
Truly I believe programs like FSU and Clemson know that staying in the ACC will eventually ruin their ability to compete on a national basis. There is scarcely a single person involved in the program in Tallahassee that has any loyalty to, or respect for, the ACC. As JJ, and several others have consistently pointed out, the 30-40 million dollar difference in conference per team revenues are a back breaker. It is the only thing that keeps crap programs like USCe and Miss St remotely competitive.

I don’t think that would ever happen. I’m not even sure its even possible. This would probably land in Federal Court since Tech and the ACC are in different states.

There might be some lawsuits but I don’t think an injunction even makes sense.

I don’t think that would ever happen. I’m not even sure its even possible. This would probably land in Federal Court since Tech and the ACC are in different states.

I can’t see any possible basis for it. Just because you don’t like something doesn’t mean you can get an injunction against it

You talking GOR? GA Tech signed the GOR, therefore assuming the risk. I don't think they can get relief through injunction now. They maybe could challenge its legality in court, but I doubt that's a winnable fight, or likely a hill they want to die on.

Back