Expansion Rumors…

Man you are salty. I love that. But you are wrong. FSU knows what they are and they are miles ahead of everyone except Clemson in the ACC. Sure, they struggled after their legend coach retired just like most programs have in the past, but they bring a huge fanbase who travels and will see their recruiting take off again as they win. Norvell just won 10 games. FSU will be just fine when they leave.

Doak Campbell was half empty when we played them down there last season. Maybe they’re rebounding, but they’ve been pretty bad and they’re closer to the middle of the ACC pack than they are to Clemson.

JRjr

Looks like the Big East invaded the ACC to me. Chantastic.

Serious question: Did we really get an invite from the B10 about 10 years ago or was that someone's pipe dream or a what if over dinner. If you say yes, post a link pls.
Some say the ACC destroyed the Big East. Some say the Big East was imploding and the ACC gave some a lifeline. Either way, to take that many programs from a sinking conference is going to ultimately stress your league, too. IMPO, way too much representation now of the former Big Least.

Some say the ACC destroyed the Big East. Some say the Big East was imploding and the ACC gave some a lifeline. Either way, to take that many programs from a sinking conference is going to ultimately stress your league, too. IMPO, way too much representation now of the former Big Least.
Spot on. While other leagues were bringing in large state schools with huge bucks and fanbases, the ACC was bringing small private schools with minor fanbases.
The bottom line is, there is no scenario where the ACC has either the ability or willingness to compete with these other conferences. People can keep posting on here of these possible scenarios that will move the needle, but in actuality, it is simply like switching deck chairs on the Titanic.

Doak Campbell was half empty when we played them down there last season. Maybe they’re rebounding, but they’ve been pretty bad and they’re closer to the middle of the ACC pack than they are to Clemson.

JRjr
I hear you but they are sitting just fine. When we played they were 4-3 and just came off 3 straight losses so sure a lot of folks had bailed on the season. They then won 6 straight to finish with 10 wins. Yes, they were bad after Bowden due to a bad hire and the usual post legend drop off. I’m not a FSU fanboy but I‘m on the side of anyone who can help destroy this conference. The ACC is nothing but a country club that has been financially destroyed by its leadership. It needs to end and I am one GT fan not scared of the future.

What a ööööing scam they have running on Tobacco Road.

Considering how bad 2019-2022 was and how little Tech was on the major TV networks, the numbers for Tech are remarkably good. CPJ's offense got eyeballs I guess.

Tech would be an asset for any conference. Great academics. Competitive, good and sometimes great athletics. Regardless how this stupid musical chairs game goes with the various conference power brokers, Tech will have a seat somewhere. Frankly, I'd be happy leaving the ACC. It seems to be a conference made up of teams that don't really want to be there except for the NC circle jerk. I think Tech would be a great fit for the Big 10. The SEC I think eventually collapses under it's own weight.

But what the hell do I know? :coffee2:

Considering how bad 2019-2022 was and how little Tech was on the major TV networks, the numbers for Tech are remarkably good. CPJ's offense got eyeballs I guess.

Tech would be an asset for any conference. Great academics. Competitive, good and sometimes great athletics. Regardless how this stupid musical chairs game goes with the various conference power brokers, Tech will have a seat somewhere. Frankly, I'd be happy leaving the ACC. It seems to be a conference made up of teams that don't really want to be there except for the NC circle jerk. I think Tech would be a great fit for the Big 10. The SEC I think eventually collapses under it's own weight.

But what the hell do I know? :coffee2:
The ACC seems like a good idea in theory, but a quarter century of Lil Miss Commish & The Carolina Circlejerk of Suck would lay waste to just about any enterprise.

Man you are salty. I love that. But you are wrong. FSU knows what they are and they are miles ahead of everyone except Clemson in the ACC. Sure, they struggled after their legend coach retired just like most programs have in the past, but they bring a huge fanbase who travels and will see their recruiting take off again as they win. Norvell just won 10 games. FSU will be just fine when they leave.

I know FSU has a good athletic program, but I don't think that is what the SEC or Big 10 care the most about. If FSU got out of the ACC, where would they end up.

I don't think the SEC wants them or Clemson, because they don't bring in a new market. They've got Florida and SC covered, and I don't think UF or SC would want to share their states. I don't think the Big 10 wants them either, because they don't have much in common with the Big 10. AAU and research money.

I think FSU and Clemson could bring a lot to the Big 12, but do Clemson and FSU really want to join the Big 12?

On the other hand, Tech would offer more than any other ACC team to the Big 10. Big new market, AAU, research money, alumni, recruiting. I think the Big 10 might want Tech and Miami. The SEC might want UNC and Va.

But, I think FSU and Clemson would be very surprised by the invitations they would not get. Of course, I've been wrong a lot in my life, so I may be wrong about this, too.

I know FSU has a good athletic program, but I don't think that is what the SEC or Big 10 care the most about. If FSU got out of the ACC, where would they end up.

I don't think the SEC wants them or Clemson, because they don't bring in a new market. They've got Florida and SC covered, and I don't think UF or SC would want to share their states. I don't think the Big 10 wants them either, because they don't have much in common with the Big 10. AAU and research money.

I think FSU and Clemson could bring a lot to the Big 12, but do Clemson and FSU really want to join the Big 12?

On the other hand, Tech would offer more than any other ACC team to the Big 10. Big new market, AAU, research money, alumni, recruiting. I think the Big 10 might want Tech and Miami. The SEC might want UNC and Va.

But, I think FSU and Clemson would be very surprised by the invitations they would not get. Of course, I've been wrong a lot in my life, so I may be wrong about this, too.
I don’t think the notion of “markets” means as much as it once did. Look at the “eyes” of viewers for FSU and Clemson. They are proven brands. And as a matter of fact, Tech still is much more of a brand to viewers nationally than the vast majority of the ACC schools, even the larger state schools.
I guess we will find out what happens if and when schools like FSU and or Clemson do try and strike out to bolt. It may be all for naught, but it will be interesting

FSU best shot at anything outside the ACC is going to be the BIG12. SEC could give two öööös about FSU, Clemson, GT, or Miami. None of them move the needle at all for them. So with that said, FSUs best option is for the survival of the ACC. I also don't think GT is worth as much to the BIG10 as everyone wants to think. We're also not a needle mover and quite honestly, with the way the demographics of Atlanta are, the BIG10 doesn't need a team in Atlanta. They already have what they're gonna get here.

I just think you are using old logic from the early days of expansion. The calculus is always changing. It changed again the second USC/UCLA joined the BIG. Aren’t they from the same state let alone same city?

I don’t know how any of this will end up. All I know is my school is stuck in a horribly run conference that is falling further behind with each passing sports season. The leadership in our conference has been inept for decades compared to the SEC. Phillips hasn’t shown much other than keeping the status quo and threatening schools interested in leaving. It’s just ridiculous.

FSU best shot at anything outside the ACC is going to be the BIG12. SEC could give two öööös about FSU, Clemson, GT, or Miami. None of them move the needle at all for them. So with that said, FSUs best option is for the survival of the ACC. I also don't think GT is worth as much to the BIG10 as everyone wants to think. We're also not a needle mover and quite honestly, with the way the demographics of Atlanta are, the BIG10 doesn't need a team in Atlanta. They already have what they're gonna get here.
What the öööö is "the needle?"

Back