Expansion Rumors…

USC and UCLA are further down the list than FSU/Clemson, things worked out pretty good for them.......if FSU/Clem starts playing SEC teams on espn primetime what do you think will happen to their viewership numbers?
One thing got them the invite: the Cali TV market. Period. If that's true for them, how does that work for Clem and Free Shoes U?

This seems like an exercise in confirmation bias.

The schools with the most prime time or best TV/channel lineup selections get the better ratings. Then, when it comes around to deciding who gets the primo slots and channels, then be sure to use the teams with the best ratings.
Could be when it comes to awarding TV contracts. Rank them high, pump them up all week long, put Game Day at their place, stick them in prime TV slots, and voila! Instance success!

I just posted how our O Bowl with MSU in 2014 NYE prime time slot was the second most watched non-CFP game, just a hair behind the Cotton Bowl that year. That's how it works. That was two interesting teams playing in the primest of prime slots. Bam! Top rated numbers.

Why did they add OK and TX? I mean, these are 2/6 non-SEC schools that have won a national championship in this century. Using your logic that was dumb, but that is old logic thinking solely about media markets.

The new market is the 12 team playoff. And looking at this like the NCAA 68 team tournament there will be 1-bid leagues and there will be multi-bid leagues. The SEC feels like with their strength, a team could lose 1-2 games and still be in the field of 12. There are 6 conferences who will be guaranteed 1 bid. The SEC thinks they can get 4-6 bids (would have had 3 in 2022). B1G added USC and UCLA for the same reason thinking they can get 2-4 bids. ACC will be viewed as a 1-bid league and that doesn't sit well with Clemson, Miami and FSU. Shouldn't sit well with GT either as we represent the only 3 ACC teams that have actually won a national championship (as ACC members).
Because TX and OK are huge football markets that the SEC had no foothold in other than TX A&M which is the most recent member and a much smaller draw than TX.

There is no reason for the SEC to take FSU or Miami as they are a lower draw than UF in Florida. No reason to take Clemson either as USCe draws well and SC is a small state, better to make Clemson fend for themselves.

Clemson may be a decent draw for the BIG as a southern school but if I were them I would rather have GT and Miami. From a logistical stand point both schools make travel easy having major airports. Both also sit in huge media markets.

One thing got them the invite: the Cali TV market. Period. If that's true for them, how does that work for Clem and Free Shoes U?
Seems to work for GT and Miami for the BIG10. I'd guess the SEC could go for Clemson being a USuCk rival and FSU being a UF rival. It is especially easy to get to Atlanta or Miami. Tallahassee and Clemson? Not so much.

Hell, you could get on a plane, fly to Atlanta, take the Marta train to North Avenue, watch the game, take Marta train back to airport, go home - by taking GT. Likely the easiest school of all of them to get to a game if you fly in.

Because TX and OK are huge football markets that the SEC had no foothold in other than TX A&M which is the most recent member and a much smaller draw than TX.

There is no reason for the SEC to take FSU or Miami as they are a lower draw than UF in Florida. No reason to take Clemson either as USCe draws well and SC is a small state, better to make Clemson fend for themselves.

Clemson may be a decent draw for the BIG as a southern school but if I were them I would rather have GT and Miami. From a logistical stand point both schools make travel easy having major airports. Both also sit in huge media markets.

"Both also sit in huge media markets" . . . where they are second (or third) bananas and almost no one in those markets gives two öööös about them.

Seems to work for GT and Miami for the BIG10. I'd guess the SEC could go for Clemson being a USuCk rival and FSU being a UF rival. It is especially easy to get to Atlanta or Miami. Tallahassee and Clemson? Not so much.

Hell, you could get on a plane, fly to Atlanta, take the Marta train to North Avenue, watch the game, take Marta train back to airport, go home - by taking GT. Likely the easiest school of all of them to get to a game if you fly in.
You can clown me all you want, 1982, but you're the moron on here thinking we should just accept the mediocrity of the ACC, and break even or lose money while surrendering CFB to the SEC schools surrounding us.

"Both also sit in huge media markets" . . . where they are second (or third) bananas and almost no one in those markets gives two öööös about them.
I am beginning to think you were part of the negotiation that got us to the point of having $30 million per year minimum less than every BIG10 school and you are proud of that

I keep stating it but you don't want to listen. The major conferences will need some lower level teams. Basically like the Globetrotters need the Generals.

The number of alumni of the BIG in ATL and MIA is substantial and having OSU or Michigan playing in Atlanta or Miami would be a huge draw.

Not to mention we have an agreement with one of the best Stadiums in the NFL on an annual basis. What a black eye it would be for the SEC to have the BIG playing a game opening weekend in the Home of College Football.

I keep stating it but you don't want to listen. The major conferences will need some lower level teams. Basically like the Globetrotters need the Generals.

The number of alumni of the BIG in ATL and MIA is substantial and having OSU or Michigan playing in Atlanta or Miami would be a huge draw.

Not to mention we have an agreement with one of the best Stadiums in the NFL on an annual basis. What a black eye it would be for the SEC to have the BIG playing a game opening weekend in the Home of College Football.
But he wants to play Duke and Wake.

The B1G would also have another outlet besides the newly acquired Cali teams to not freeze their balls off in October and November games.

When GT is good, GT can draw eyeballs. In a stable and non-clownish coaching environment we've shown that we can win with Ross, O'Leary, Gailey, and Johnson. Add to that the reality of the ATL market, recruiting turf, and MBS/CFHOF and you have a great combo rationale for expansion. I don't know that Miami culturally fits them, but they bring admission to the third most populous state in the US. I would argue that FSU helps them more, but the school pedigree isn't really in line with most of theirs. Who knows? Clemson just strikes out on all counts.

When GT is good, GT can draw eyeballs. In a stable and non-clownish coaching environment we've shown that we can win with Ross, O'Leary, Gailey, and Johnson. Add to that the reality of the ATL market, recruiting turf, and MBS/CFHOF and you have a great combo rationale for expansion. I don't know that Miami culturally fits them, but they bring admission to the third most populous state in the US. I would argue that FSU helps them more, but the school pedigree isn't really in line with most of theirs. Who knows? Clemson just strikes out on all counts.
Tell folks from Wisconsin they can play at Miami in November and Miami no longer has much of an attendance issue. Plus, lots of Yankee transplants in south Florida

Miami and FSU both come in tied at #55 according to Us News. Ask a fan from the BIG where they would rather travel in Oct or Nov... Tallahassee or Miami. Not a tough choice.

"The main thing I see here is the boredom present in the rust belt and rural midwest and south."

The main thing that I see here is that Rutgers draws more TV viewers than Georgia Tech. :facepalm:
Quality of opponent matters and that’s why you can purely draw this argument as a tv market OR quality of team argument. It’s both. Ideally you want to add teams that are on average strong teams and have a quality viewer base.

You also have to remember that teams stuck in the bullshit ACC agreement likely have low numbers due to opponent quality. I’ve argued before that no one is going to tune into GT vs 3/4 of the ACC unless they have a specific rooting interest. This is where SEC is best for us because Tech vs over half of SEC is going to get watched. Our numbers in B1G are probably better than ACC overall, but will not match SEC. Clemson and FSU are going to pull better numbers than us with a SEC or B1G schedule. But being in Atlanta/Georgia favors us over with of them.

All I know is that we have to get out of the ACC and it can’t be to get into another conference that has crap matchups (cough, watered down Big 12).

Wrong. USC is a big brand name property that adds value. UCLA is too, but not as much recently. California market was a big factor, but it wasn’t the only one or they’d have gotten Stanford or Cal Berkeley.

read this elsewhere......

“ESPN is the driving force behind this. People are just not thinking this through.

The typical FSU ACC game gets about 2 million viewers. Good by ACC standards. But check out these two FSU games from last year:

• FSU/LSU: 7.6 million viewers
  • FSU/Florida: 6.7 million viewers
Each of those games was worth 3+ ACC games in advertising revenue to ESPN.

Imagine if FSU was in the SEC and their regular schedule included: Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, & Texas A&M (which is not unrealistic at all in the SEC).

Those 5 games would produce 15 times the advertising revenue of their ACC counterpart games. 15 times.

ESPN isn't getting a bargain with FSU in the ACC. They are losing money.

It is in ESPN's interest to get them into the SEC where they can pull more TV viewers.”

You also have to remember that teams stuck in the bullshit ACC agreement likely have low numbers due to opponent quality. I’ve argued before that no one is going to tune into GT vs 3/4 of the ACC unless they have a specific rooting interest. This is where SEC is best for us because Tech vs over half of SEC is going to get watched. Our numbers in B1G are probably better than ACC overall, but will not match SEC. Clemson and FSU are going to pull better numbers than us with a SEC or B1G schedule. But being in Atlanta/Georgia favors us over with of them.

The larger problem is that the genera public, and even actual Tech fans, have internalized the ESPN narrative that the only games that matter are the ones that they promote, and football sucks if the SEC isn’t playing. That’s bullshit.

I’m always gonna watch GT play, even if they’re playing nobody. (GT boat racing an HBCU isn’t great, but neither is losing by 50 to an SEC team. But I’ll still watch my team.)

Random Tuesday night MAC games can be totally entertaining. Random App St vs UNC games can be entertaining. GT vs Duke can be entertaining. 90% of games don’t “matter” and it’s rare and unlikely that GT is going to play in a game that “matters,” so you might as well learn to enjoy the games that don’t matter.

JRjr

read this elsewhere......

“ESPN is the driving force behind this. People are just not thinking this through.

The typical FSU ACC game gets about 2 million viewers. Good by ACC standards. But check out these two FSU games from last year:

• FSU/LSU: 7.6 million viewers
  • FSU/Florida: 6.7 million viewers
Each of those games was worth 3+ ACC games in advertising revenue to ESPN.

Imagine if FSU was in the SEC and their regular schedule included: Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, & Texas A&M (which is not unrealistic at all in the SEC).

Those 5 games would produce 15 times the advertising revenue of their ACC counterpart games. 15 times.

ESPN isn't getting a bargain with FSU in the ACC. They are losing money.

It is in ESPN's interest to get them into the SEC where they can pull more TV viewers.”
Are those people tuning in to see FSU or LSU and UF?

The stats would bear out that it is LSU and UF drawing the numbers not FSU. Would GT vs those teams draw equal numbers?

The FSU LSU game was LSU's first game of the season in the Superdome. The UF game is of course the rivalry game. Both games were played in the prime time 7:30 time slot.

Sorry you can't just pull the best two games in the best time slots and extrapolate that FSU would draw those number in a full slate of the SEC. Any team would pull those numbers in that time slot. In fact there was only one week the entire season where a 7pm or later game wasn't in the top 3 rated games that week this past season. Week 8 the 5th rated game was at 7:30, the 7 or later games made up 5 of the top 11. We were #11 against Virginia.

Back