For those who think a new coach is the answer...

If we had beaten FSU and Wisconsin had beaten Ohio State in the B1G title game, we were absolutely in the playoff. First off, Duke had 9 wins and finished 2nd in the Coastal. UNC finished 3rd. Secondly, we finished the season with consecutive wins over #19 Clemson and #9 UGA, narrowly lost to #4 FSU that was in the playoff, and then slaughtered #7 Mississippi State.

No matter how much you want to öööö on the successes of Georgia Tech and pretend like they don't exist, they're still there. We finished 7th as it was, even losing the ACCCG. That was EASILY the best Georgia Tech team since 1990.

Why do you feel the need to disparage Georgia Tech's success to justify firing the coach? The 4 year stretch of 2015-2018 should be enough.

Why do you feel the need to constantly see this as some form of fantasy football instead of facing some other realities?

Puke & unc finished 2nd and third in the ACC Coastal. Yes sir, that carries a lot of weight with the CFP committee.

IF, IF, IF, IF someone had beaten someone else in the Big10......

Guess what, it did not happen. It Did Not Happen.

And we did not beat fsu.

But somehow all this makes CPJ that much greater - what did not happen.

Willing to bet I have supported our school and teams longer than you have been alive.

And how did we capitalize off those last 2 great wins in 2014?

So whine your butt off about me “disparaging” the team, when in fact your support of this in year 11 makes you the type person hurting GT.

Last edited:
Malzahn didn't take over until 2013. The 3-9 season was why he was hired.

Yes, that is exactly my point.
  1. Old Auburn coach wins a Natty.
  2. Old Auburn coach goes 3-9.
  3. Old Auburn coach gets fired.
  4. New Auburn coach goes to Natty in first year (with essentially the same team).
  5. New Auburn coach is mediocre.
  6. Profit?

4. New Auburn coach goes to Natty in first year (with essentially the same team).
  6. Profit?

Many people attribute a lot of the credit for the national title win to the assistant of the old coach who is now the current coach. That the 3-9 came after said attributed assistant left was a big reason why the old coach was replaced with the assistant.

In general, I don't see how Auburn of all teams is in any way, shape or form a good comparison or example of how anything with GT will go.

Why do you feel the need to constantly see this as some form of fantasy football instead of facing some other realities?

Puke & unc finished 2nd and third in the ACC Coastal. Yes sir, that carries a lot of weight with the CFP committee.

And we did not beat fsu.

Willing to bet I have supported our school and teams longer than you have been alive.

So whine your butt off about me “disparaging” the team, when in fact your support of this in year 11 makes you the type person hurting GT.

Someone doesn't know how to read an entire post. I literally just said that the results from 2015-2018 should be enough to make your point. I DO NOT SUPPORT what is going on right now, and I do not support maintaining the status quo into the future.

Here is what you said:
Fans thinking a team with losses to puke, unc, and a miracle win over gsu would ever get in the CFP really have no grasp of the system.
Then I said that if we had beaten FSU (which we were 2 pts from doing) we would have been on the brink of being in the playoff with losses to Duke and UNC. That is not fantasy. It was reality and I'm sad for you that you can't appreciate the best GT football season in almost 30 years because of your hatred for the coach.

Without a new coach, TStans capital fund raiser is dead in the water... We will be able to replace the current Edge Building with... the old Naval Armory.

I don't understand this line of thinking at all. I've been watching tech football for about 20 years, and we've never been this bad. I think a better question is why don't you think we can do better?
That means you've been watching us since 1998. You're just too young to remember that we've been way way way worse than this for years and years at a time.

6. Profit?

So are you arguing Auburn should have just kept Tuberville? If anything, Auburn seems to be a good case of a program that fires coaches whose success has run dry and immediately reap the rewards with the new coach. Rinse and repeat.

So are you arguing Auburn should have just kept Tuberville? If anything, Auburn seems to be a good case of a program that fires coaches whose success has run dry and immediately reap the rewards with the new coach. Rinse and repeat.
Tuberville? I don't think you know Auburn football quite as well as coit.

And we did not beat fsu.

And we did not beat fsu.

I agree, every program in America can play what if except ALA

Tuberville? I don't think you know Auburn football quite as well as coit.

I'm not sure if this is a comment on coit's age or you think I'm confusing Tuberville with Chizik.

Auburn has had a lot of recent success with firing coaches who were no longer getting the desired level of production out of their talent, hiring someone who can, and continuing that process. The argument that they did these things with the previous coach's players doesn't resonate with me, because if the previous coaches were still getting results with their players they wouldn't have been fired.

In a nutshell: Auburn seems to be a good example that sometimes a coaching change is needed and can boost a program.

I really don't see how that is possible though. Open records laws and getting approval from other schools to speak with coaches and such.
I definitely don't know. You may be right. I can't help but imagine we can have some level of confidence in hiring person B before we fire person A.

In a nutshell: Auburn seems to be a good example that sometimes a coaching change is needed and can boost a program.

When did the boosting happen? When they went 6-6 two years ago? When they lost to Miss St and Tenn? (hint: this year)

Auburn is sitting at 4-3, and looking to drop 3 more games this year (TAM, UGA, Bama). They could easily finish this season at 6-6.

I kinda assumed that folks responding to this wouldn't see Auburn as a success story, because I certainly don't. I see them as very similar to us. Some really great seasons, and some really ööööty ones.

When did the boosting happen? When they went 6-6 two years ago? When they lost to Miss St and Tenn? (hint: this year)

Auburn is sitting at 4-3, and looking to drop 3 more games this year (TAM, UGA, Bama). They could easily finish this season at 6-6.

I kinda assumed that folks responding to this wouldn't see Auburn as a success story, because I certainly don't. I see them as very similar to us. Some really great seasons, and some really ööööty ones.
Oh they just won a National Championship a few years ago and played for another since then. Clearer they are no better than we are!!

The boosting happened when they went from a 3-9 team to a national champion game appearance in one year. Your argument in this thread is that a new coach may not be the answer. When you're looking for solutions to losing seasons, a coach who can deliver resoundingly good results immediately seems like a pretty good answer to me.

If your contention is that we shouldn't make a coaching change because that new coach may at some point stop being successful and we will want him gone, well that's true of the majority of coaches--even ones who are successful.

It really doesn't matter who our next coach is. Whoever it is, whenever the time comes, is going to have a difficult time winning for a couple years if he doesn't run the same offense. I think it will be incredibly difficult to find a top caliber coach to come in and take over.

I remember when we were discussing lifetime contract for PJ after winning the Orange Bowl. These last couple of years have sucked for us and him. I don't want to fire him. I think he'll walk away if he doesn't think he can be successful.

It really doesn't matter who our next coach is. Whoever it is, whenever the time comes, is going to have a difficult time winning for a couple years if he doesn't run the same offense. I think it will be incredibly difficult to find a top caliber coach to come in and take over.

GT is having a difficult time winning with the current offense. The team doesn't even execute at the level of the service academies.

The game has passed him by, and GT is running an offense that's 20-30 years outdated. Recruiting and attendance will continue to be huge problems if GT doesn't change systems. Gonna have to rip off the bandaid and rejoin the modern era at some point.

Fans thinking a team with losses to puke, unc, and a miracle win over gsu would ever get in the CFP really have no grasp of the system.

You misspelled 3-1 against teams that finished in the top 11 that year.

The boosting happened when they went from a 3-9 team to a national champion game appearance in one year.

And then they went 6-6. And will probably go 6-6 again this year. You all keep making my point. Sometimes you have good seasons, sometimes you have bad ones. A coach that gets you to the championship game is also the coach that will get you 6-6 or worse. Chizik won a natty and went 3-9. Malzan went to the natty one year (with Chizik's players) and has been mediocre ever since. Lost to UCF last year.

Am I the only one that knows how to look at the big picture?

I never said we shouldn't change coaches. I only said that a coaching change will not guarantee that anything will change.

Back