Jackets in the draft

There is no rule that says we have to recruit undersized players. We could run this system just as well, and more than likely better with players who have NFL measurables.

We don’t recruit shorties because that’s what the system calls for, we recruit shorties because that is who is willing to play in the system once the factories pass them over.

That is the conundrum. We can get the picked over factory guys who are less talented or we can pick up HS ballers who the factories don’t want because of measurables.

BB is a different game. We definitely don’t sell that well and a big part is that there is no nfl counterpart to that position.

That is the conundrum. We can get the picked over factory guys who are less talented or we can pick up HS ballers who the factories don’t want because of measurables.

BB is a different game. We definitely don’t sell that well and a big part is that there is no nfl counterpart to that position.

Draft again proves what a joke Johnson's recruiting is. Three (3) years and only a kicker drafted in the seven (7) round and you people continue to buy his line that stars do no matter. Even the Ivy League had a player drafted. Player from Australia who has never played football. When this and two (2) losing seasons in the last three (3), what does Tech do, extend him. We are a joke to other programs.

Georgia's Trenton Thompson was a 5 star coming out of high school. decided to leave early for the draft. He was not selected.
DeShawn Hand was the No. 1 or No. 2 high school player in the nation (the other was Jabril Peppers), depending on the recruiting service of your choice. He went in the fourth round.

Clemson only had 3 draft picks this year and their first came at pick 100 (yes, a couple of sure fire early picks decided to stay in school).
NC State had 7 draft picks. Quick, what was their record in 2017? Answer - who f'in cares. They're NC State.
FSU had 6 picks. Florida had 5. And they both sucked.

I'm more concerned about what our guys do on Saturdays than what happens in one of the biggest televised crapshoots. For instance, as much praise is heaped on Belichick for his talent evaluation skills, he did draft Chad Jackson, Laurence Maroney and Brandon Meriwether in the first round. But two of his best players the last two years have been undrafted free agents - one on the OL and Malcom Butler. My worry is their first round pick will displace Shaq on the OL sooner rather than later because Wynn is not a LT at the pro level.

Draft again proves what a joke Johnson's recruiting is. Three (3) years and only a kicker drafted in the seven (7) round and you people continue to buy his line that stars do no matter. Even the Ivy League had a player drafted. Player from Australia who has never played football. When this and two (2) losing seasons in the last three (3), what does Tech do, extend him. We are a joke to other programs.
Shut the öööö up, Ronnie.

Over the last 5 seasons the following teams exceeded our high points:
Clemson, FSU

Over the last 5 seasons the following teams beat our low points:
UNC, Wake, Pitt, BC, UVa

I would bet that only Clemson and VT beat more top 25 teams than we did. And only Clemson beat more top 10 teams.

I don’t like how erratic we have been, and I do think that is based on talent, not coaching.

The positive news is that, if you consider this to be the proverbial canary in the coal mine, it's been discovered after we've donned figurative oxygen masks and are carrying out a whole host of actions to fix the problem. It remains to be seen whether those actions will be sufficient or even what will be defined as an acceptable outcome.

We're second highest by this metric. And...?

This reminds me of points/possession stats. Unfortunately, it's points, not points/possession, that win games.

Also, a lot of you guys ragging on CPJ forget all the junk he's been recruiting against. We're always going to have the limited curriculum problem. But now we're getting rid of the uniform/apparel deadweight, and we've just added a bunch of assistants doing nothing but recruiting. That will be especially important for a program like ours that needs to find more than its share of overlooked talent.

What it boils down to, for me, is that optimism the natural state of a fan.

The NFL draft results of the next year or so will be more indicative, as those will be the classes signed immediately after the "OMG 2014!!!" season, which should have been one of the more productive recruiting seasons CPJ has had. TBD.

Back