Players in the Portal [Official "They Gone" Thread]

The only reason schools capping payments to players at cost of attendance is legal is because they are considered amateur students who also play football, not employees who are there mainly for football.

If we say that we are going to treat them just like the football employees we pay millions of dollars to, then it will definitely lead to an antitrust lawsuit. Schools are doing everything in their power to prevent it from looking like they treat their players just like they treat their coaches and ADs. That's why the NCAA instituted the free transfer rule in the first place.
I think you are correct with the reasoning. But it doesn't seem like the current situation is working out for a lot of the fringe P5 programs, including Tech. What's to stop one school from tearing the current structure down in this way in the hopes that the new structure works out better for them? After the way the NCAA has abused Tech over the years, I'd actually get some satisfaction from being the school that knocks over the house of cards.

I thought we were moving away from the option.
Speaking of which, something else that shows the ineptness of our fanbase -- I saw several people on twitter complaining about the Fritz hire when it was leaked because they didn't want to go back to the option. :facepalm:

Can the school pull their scholarships effective immediately? Kick them off campus, deactivate their buzzcards so they can't access anything, and give them incompletes for any classes they were in this semester. öööö em.
No. They are allowed to finish the Academic semester. As soon as the Current semester is over, you can pull the scholarship. You’ve already paid the tuition for the semester and the books, and whatever else, If you could kick them out, it would just hurt your graduation rates and apr ranking. And bad publicly to boot.

I think you are correct with the reasoning. But it doesn't seem like the current situation is working out for a lot of the fringe P5 programs, including Tech. What's to stop one school from tearing the current structure down in this way in the hopes that the new structure works out better for them? After the way the NCAA has abused Tech over the years, I'd actually get some satisfaction from being the school that knocks over the house of cards.

Yeah, it will probably happen within the next five to ten years. Just a matter of "when" and "how" rather than "if" at this point.

If you want to go all-in conspiracy theory, players could declare they are going to the portal to try to pressure Batt to retain Key.

But I think @vapspwi is right and at least in this case the simplest answer is that McCollum can probably get a good role on a much better team with better chances to win and more visibility.
if jason making decisions based on players, bout as good as clown making in game decisions based on crowd opinion

IMO, schools should have NEVER been able to pull a student-athlete's scholarship because of a coaching change, or the coaches didn't think the student-athlete was playing good enough and they wanted someone better, etc. And even that crap woudn't have happened if the NCAA had not limited scholarships in the first place. And ALL OF THAT - plus coaches being able to switch schools without sitting out a year like players had to - lent moral justification to the wide open portal and NIL, and everything else that (IMO) has ööööed up college football.

I would rather they had done the right things in the first place - take the limit off scholarships, forbid scholarships from being yanked for anything other than academic reasons or violation of school (not team) rules, and require head coaches to sit out a year when changing schools - than adopt the portal and NIL BS to try to make things more fair.

But I realize that genie is out of the bottle and we are all well and truly ööööed now. So please ignore this rant.

This sucks, but as a business decision, I get it. He should go find an offense with an established QB and put up some stats and showcase his abilities for the NFL.

I look forward to some day having a team that poaches players like this.
time to get with the times and be the poaching team. we'll just have to start out poaching G5/FCS players. we're tech, don't we have people that can run analytics to start finding underrated players that fit our needs. then offer miniscule NIL money that they'd otherwise not get at the lower level. dont hate the player, hate the game. if we're getting poached, time to start poaching.

I have to ask why a bad college kicker would even bother transferring. Is it that important to kick extra points for like, UT-San Antonio or wherever he would end up? There's not a point where you're just like 'whatever' and accept being a business major at GT? That's not exactly a life-ruining situation.
The heart wants what the heart wants. Kicking EPs may be more important to him right now than school - or anything else.

Any guesses or info on the # of players that enter the portal for a “better” program and wind up without a spot anywhere?

Curious. In this case, Nate should have no problem.
does anyone know the actual portal rules? i think player should have to rescind scholly first in order to enter portal. you are now a normal student and will need to pay the pro-rated remainder of your tuition and no more free weight training. and if i were HC, i would make sure my players knew once they rescind, they arent getting it back, period. make them think twice before entering and not being able to land in a better spot.

Ryan King to the portal. I think this was expected, though it’s always strange when a guy leaves that is unhappy with the staff and wanting more playing time when…the staff is turning over and he’s likely heading into spring as a starter for the first time. Either way, best of luck to the kid.

Are you always this vindictive? None of your ideas will work. You would be fighting a battle that in the end would make us a worse football team. If they want to transfer then let ‘‘em go.

your ideas would result in a players union which would go on strike a lot.
I'm vindictive because I want players who don't want to be part of Georgia Tech to not be part of Georgia Tech? Ok.

does anyone know the actual portal rules? i think player should have to rescind scholly first in order to enter portal. you are now a normal student and will need to pay the pro-rated remainder of your tuition and no more free weight training. and if i were HC, i would make sure my players knew once they rescind, they arent getting it back, period. make them think twice before entering and not being able to land in a better spot.

here you go:

I'm vindictive because I want players who don't want to be part of Georgia Tech to not be part of Georgia Tech? Ok.

The vindictive part is having it all take effect immediately rather than at the end of the semester. It brings no benefit to Tech and serves only to punish the player. That is pretty much the epitome of vindictive.

The vindictive part is having it all take effect immediately rather than at the end of the semester. It brings no benefit to Tech and serves only to punish the player. That is pretty much the epitome of vindictive.
Vindictive would be preventing them from transferring, or öööö talking them to anyone who asks about their abilities. The players are asking to be separated from the school, I'm just saying okay then let's separate them immediately. It does absolutely no good to keep them around at this point, they are poison and will only further damage Georgia Tech and potentially plant seeds in other players heads if allowed to remain here any longer.

Immediate separation is SOP in many organizations, and for good reason.

Vindictive would be preventing them from transferring, or öööö talking them to anyone who asks about their abilities. The players are asking to be separated from the school, I'm just saying okay then let's separate them immediately. It does absolutely no good to keep them around at this point, they are poison and will only further damage Georgia Tech and potentially plant seeds in other players heads if allowed to remain here any longer.

Immediate separation is SOP in many organizations, and for good reason.
I'm sure he is no longer participating in team activities, so those issues are moot. You are advocating eliminating him from educational activities - which BTW are supposed to be the principle activities of a university.

Every place I ever worked expected somoeone who decided to leave to give two weeks notice. It was NEVER SOP to walk that person out of the building immediately. Only if there were some exceptional circumstances. Never happened to me any place I ever quit.

Anyway, this is not the same as someone leaving a company to go to a competitor. You should be smart enough to realize that. They key words being "should be."

Back