Playoffs?

USCJacket said:
Based on every rule minus the stupid injury one, the AD of NCSU Boo Corrigan and the 12 other members of the CFP committee would have had no leg to stand on moving Bama ahead of FSU.

Like that would stop them, conversation would have gone something like:

Ok, so Bama is clearly in.

But, wait, Texas beat them.

öööö, ok then put Texas in, drop FSU.

But FSU is undefeated.

Hmm you're right but on the other hand, we have to have Bama, whatcha gonna do...

Expanded playoffs will make championship weekend unimportant and poorly attended and watched. With a 12 team model Georgia, Bama, Michigan, FSU, Ohio State, Oregon, Washington, Penn State and Texas already were in before this weekend’s games. The tenth spot was committed to a Group of Five team. So, the only drama was whether or not Iowa, Louisville or Oklahoma State would win to get a remaining spot or two. As they all lost it freed up two more places for teams who were not even playing for their conference title.

It's kind of amazing how they manage to get it wrong when getting it right was so easy. Playoff has too few teams so they jump right past the correct number (6-8) to too many teams. :crazy2: It feels like they may have been trying to compromise between 8- and 16-team playoff proponents.

How much does the SEC suck that they need favoritism to get into the Playoff when they have every other advantage in this sport due to decades of bias

USCJacket said:
No way an undefeated conference champion is out against a 1 loss team. It doesn’t matter if uga pulls an Auburn and loses like only Auburn can.

Nope. I was 100% wrong. Up until after the way FSU played against UofL I didn’t think it could have happened. Had FSU blown UofL out with a 3rd string QB, I don’t think there would have been any way possible FSU isn’t #4.

Based on every rule minus the stupid injury one, the AD of NCSU Boo Corrigan and the 12 other members of the CFP committee would have had no leg to stand on moving Bama ahead of FSU.
Your first take was the right one though. An undefeated P5 champion should go, period. Shouldn’t come down to style points for margins of victory or who is/isn’t injured.

Playoff field is just too small. Can’t reliably pick a field of four and expect to get it right. Should be at least 16 teams. Go back to smaller conferences, give automatic invites for conference champs. No conf championship games, shorten the season to 11 if needed. If there’s going to be a selection committee, let them quibble over at large invites. My king for a day wishful thinking, anyway.

At this point I hope Washington beats Michigan in the final and that FSU beats Georgia in the Orange. A split title would be poetic justice.

Your first take was the right one though. An undefeated P5 champion should go, period. Shouldn’t come down to style points for margins of victory or who is/isn’t injured.

Playoff field is just too small. Can’t reliably pick a field of four and expect to get it right. Should be at least 16 teams. Go back to smaller conferences, give automatic invites for conference champs. No conf championship games, shorten the season to 11 if needed. If there’s going to be a selection committee, let them quibble over at large invites. My king for a day wishful thinking, anyway.

At this point I hope Washington beats Michigan in the final and that FSU beats Georgia in the Orange. A split title would be poetic justice.
I agree with multiple points you made.

-12 teams will likely still cause issues as soon as next year. 16 is likely the right number.
- The mega conference gamble the TV networks are all in on may not work like they think.

Friday night and even yesterday were sad to see the end of the Pac-10 / Pac-12 as a conference (thanks to inaction by the George K, and panic by some schools about being left behind).

And Texas and Oklahoma leaving the B12 for the sec, when we all know the Texas greed caused Texas A&M and Mizzou to bolt in the first place.

Starting next year, we lose great rivalry games like Oklahoma-Oklahoma State, Oregon-Oregon State, etc.

Expanded playoffs will make championship weekend unimportant and poorly attended and watched. With a 12 team model Georgia, Bama, Michigan, FSU, Ohio State, Oregon, Washington, Penn State and Texas already were in before this weekend’s games. The tenth spot was committed to a Group of Five team. So, the only drama was whether or not Iowa, Louisville or Oklahoma State would win to get a remaining spot or two. As they all lost it freed up two more places for teams who were not even playing for their conference title.
There might not be championship games after conferences expand to very large numbers.

We should honestly just have a six team playoff with P5 plus one G5 gets in. Every conference championship would effectively be a first round playoff game. Never understood why we didn't go that direction.
That would be way too simple and objective. P5 Champs + 1 best of the rest (G5 undefeated, ND undefeated or 1-loss, or 1-loss P5 that didn't lose their championship game)

Adding more teams to the playoffs won't solve öööö. The NCAA will still find a way to öööö it up like they always do. Hell, look at bball: you have 64, or is it 68? Or 69? Or 72? Even then they still manage to öööö a team or three every year.

It's going to always happen until we can burn it all down and start over.

Well, I think the days of ever reporting an injury are gone. This killed it. Every single injury will be a "game time decision." Hard to blame the coaches when they do that.
And if UGA is a contender next year, we need to start laying dirty hits on their best players. If you can’t beat ‘em on the scoreboard, we can still keep them out of the playoff. It’s arguable that UF killed FSU’s chances with their dirty hit on Rodemaker.

If we’re looking for a DC, maybe we should consider someone from the Sean Payton/Gregg Williams coaching tree.

Back