UF signee wont report because UF can't come up with their NIL deal

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
I suspect, if it come to bankruptcy of their AA's, that the schools will move to a model that severely restricts NIL, possibly even forming a new competitive level and pulling away from the ones who are killing the sport with over-the-top NIL collectives and such. I would personally love to see this happen, but it would crack open college football, stripping the top 2-3 programs out of every conference that think they can make a go with the factories. We've always had the "factories," and we've always had the "money," subdued though it was, but this ruling has opened wide the money door and pushed the intersection of those two beyond anything recognizable as college sport. I welcome any pushback by normal college programs, personally.
There are only 15-20 schools at most (probably realistically under 15) that are in this class of spending the GDP of a European country on their football program. They are going to get really tired of playing each other and losing for good anything that resembles college football. I say let them go on the condition that every other school, as a rule, refuse to play the ones who opt for the money grab.

originalwombat

Damn Good Rat
The “market” is gonna struggle setting a price for HS athletes. It’s not surprising folks are over paying right now. I don’t know if it will ever stabilize since it’s not a predictable commodity, but we should settle into a high/low threshold zone that is not as insane as it is now.

all4tech

Damn Good Rat
The “market” is gonna struggle setting a price for HS athletes. It’s not surprising folks are over paying right now. I don’t know if it will ever stabilize since it’s not a predictable commodity, but we should settle into a high/low threshold zone that is not as insane as it is now.
UGA has been giving nil under the table for years. Maybe not to the players directly but to the families. I can tell of one. I might not can prove it but I can put it out there and you can decide.

originalwombat

Damn Good Rat
UGA has been giving nil under the table for years. Maybe not to the players directly but to the families. I can tell of one. I might not can prove it but I can put it out there and you can decide.
I'm sure we have as well. We just aren't as good at it.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Bill Curry tells a story about recruiting Herschel Walker to GT. He said he naively believed he could sell Walker and his family on the benefits of a Georgia Tech education, but there was a bit more to it than that. Kind of hints that it took $$$$ for UGAg to get him.

THWG247

Jolly Good Fellow
If this meh recruit can get 13 mil, how much are they gonna pay up for the next generational can’t miss talent that comes along? Anyone heard how much the Manning kid got?

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
Bill Curry tells a story about recruiting Herschel Walker to GT. He said he naively believed he could sell Walker and his family on the benefits of a Georgia Tech education, but there was a bit more to it than that. Kind of hints that it took $$$$ for UGAg to get him.
And a Trans Am. It’s not even a secret at this point.

MACHETE

Dodd-Like
Paying $13 million for an uproven HS student is just about the dumbest thing you can do. The good news is that this won't be sustainable year after year.

The much smarter play is to deploy dollars in a targeted way in the portal and by keeping current key roster players.

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like
Paying $13 million for an uproven HS student is just about the dumbest thing you can do. The good news is that this won't be sustainable year after year.

The much smarter play is to deploy dollars in a targeted way in the portal and by keeping current key roster players.
Yeah this is already in play. Your all-american star player can simply portal out and make $$$ elsewhere. It sucks but its a smarter model than signing the #1 class in history for $$$$$$ and then go 4-8 with that class of unproven millionaires.

ThatGuy

Varsity Lurker
Looks like they've released him.

I was personally kinda hoping this would be the scene where they fought it out, and the NCAA was able to say "We can't release you from a letter of intent. The NLI as your reason? Sorry, we've got nothing to do with that."

But I guess calmer, more rational heads prevailed.

gt9589

Smile... you love us.
I knew a guy who played for USC-East back in the 80s. He was a kid that grew piss poor a farm in SC. All he wanted was some chickens for he and his family. He got them and played for them. That was an 'easy' deal.

OmnipoTech

Jolly Good Fellow
You think we should punish a high schooler that some assholes pulled a bait and switch on?
NIL is not supposed to be pay for play. The fact that he had a deal fall through with an entity that is not the University of Florida should be completely irrelevant to his LOI, because his college decision should have never been based on who wants to pay him the most. Enforcing the rules will make players have to think more and not just choose to go to who offers the moon.

You can say he's being punished, but he's not, not really. He's getting to go somewhere else and be immediately eligible. He's getting the opportunity for a free college education, whether he wants it or not. He will probably still get a lucrative NIL deal wherever he ends up, even if its not quite $13m. He's just facing the consequences of a bad decision - the horror!

supersenior

Jolly Good Fellow
NIL is not supposed to be pay for play. The fact that he had a deal fall through with an entity that is not the University of Florida should be completely irrelevant to his LOI, because his college decision should have never been based on who wants to pay him the most. Enforcing the rules will make players have to think more and not just choose to go to who offers the moon.

You can say he's being punished, but he's not, not really. He's getting to go somewhere else and be immediately eligible. He's getting the opportunity for a free college education, whether he wants it or not. He will probably still get a lucrative NIL deal wherever he ends up, even if its not quite $13m. He's just facing the consequences of a bad decision - the horror!
Do you take salary into consideration when weighing your job options?