UF signee wont report because UF can't come up with their NIL deal

You expect me to read the posts that people reply to when I’m replying to people. Do you of any idea how ling that will take? You think this is all just a peace have cake?

Have course you are right, but back to the topic at hand, the distance between the ofs and the of-nots seems like it's only going to grow with all this, and while it might be valid to argue that NIL is more fair to the players (and perhaps it is, technically speaking) I don't think the outcome is going to be good. The number of as yet unforeseen unintended consequences will be interesting (and likely depressing) to watch. We are still in the early days. Imagine the debauchery once the various groups involved start learning how to really game the system.

I'd like for us to be one of the ofs but I'd much rather have a true level playing field then let the chips fall where they may. Unfortunately, both of these ideals seem as unlikely as any other utopian vision. Maybe it ultimately crashes and burns. How does the NCAA get out of this discombobulated nexus? I of no clue.

The Supreme Court didn't rule there could be no amateur football, only that the NCAA couldn't restrict benefits because it was an antitrust situation. We can have a world where amateur football and professional football coexist, and a football player has a choice of which they want to participate in–a free market.

So we need to find a legal way to re-create amateur college football. Your alternative league suggestion seems like one possible solution. Maybe there are some other solutions, like colleges subsidizing professional sports opportunities for students. But I'm unsure where the antitrust issue even is. If a college doesn't prohibit a student from playing professional football while they attend school, what exactly is the problem?
Colleges banding together and saying that the labor market for college athletics pays only a scholarship and the athlete in question can't make money any other way is literally a cartel and in blatant violation of the Clayton Antitrust Act.

The joy and pride and affiliation with the school is fading away.
Agree. I have taught high school for 29 years. I've seen fewer students each year who are even into college sports, much less being die hard fans of any school, and this is middle Georgia. The district promoted ugag day the Monday of the championship game. I don't recall seeing any students wearing ugag clothing, only teachers. Neither did I hear talk leading up to or after the game.

Agree. I have taught high school for 29 years. I've seen fewer students each year who are even into college sports, much less being die hard fans of any school, and this is middle Georgia. The district promoted ugag day the Monday of the championship game. I don't recall seeing any students wearing ugag clothing, only teachers. Neither did I hear talk leading up to or after the game.
I wish this öööö would hurry up and get over. I love GT, but hell, it would annoy me to see tables full of GT shirts and sweatshirts at the Sam's I go to. Right now, half the men's clothes, it seems, is UGAg stuff. I realize gaggers love wearing nothing but UGAg gear all the time, but it is getting annoying. When I was at the Ocala Sam's about a month back, they had a nice selection of clothes. Not Rome. In Rome, it is "hey, want a gagger sweatshirt?" Cause that is mostly what they have.

Really good post. I've been personally convinced for a while now that CFB is in a bubble. The media powers want it to be the NFL 2.0 but I don't think it's taking, and your experience is support for my hypothesis. It feels very obvious that CFB is destined to fall back to more of a college basketball or college baseball vibe in the near future.

What a bizarre sport this has become.

The players establish LLCs in which to funnel the money to them for speaking engagements, promotional appearances, etc. The WRs that were in the portal in December (one from Missouri and one from Mississippi State) were contacted and offered just under seven figures each in NIL money to do so. A friend's company that provides financial service to pro athletes was contacted by these two on referral. They decline, though, to provide services for college athletes.

Will this just become Boosters with cash to burn contacting players currently on other team's rosters and luring them to play for his/her team?

You would think with all the A&M money, they would be in the running for a Natty.

and if this is happening for UGaG, just think about us with a much smaller rabid fanbase.

Not sure how to reverse this trend. It may not be reversible.

The biggest blocker to any changes will always be the NFL 3 year rule but that isn’t going to change any time soon. It is not in the interest of the union.

As much of a joke as it is, the success of a smaller league like the XFL may be a decent answer. If you can get enough revenue out of that league you can funnel some of these players into it. Results TBD on college football.

Any sort of collective bargaining situation in college football would be good for players to regulate the payments & put a final nail in the coffin of the NCAA. It would also cripple college football. Or it might have systemic effects into other non-revenue generating college sports. A league minimum would implode 2/3 of athletic budgets.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see separate leagues, either. The SEC is certainly aware of the possibility by picking up schools with good revenues from other conferences. I don’t think it’s just about TV airtime. Sankey is too smart to think so short-term. The B1G appears to be doing the same. There’s a couple good programs in the ACC that I suspect will be poached. Clemson, FSU, & Miami are the three most obvious cash flow teams. You’ve got Oregon & Washington left out west. Notre Dame. Then you will have a lot of leftover programs that will have to decide what to do for their future. The Big 12 is on a slow death march, same with PAC 12. ACC is only hanging on because of the grant of rights IMO. I’m sure commissioners come knocking on Clemson’s door every day. Separate leagues would end the conference revenues so many schools depend on.

Plenty of paths forward. None I can see that are good for what college football was, but all that are good for players or certain schools.

That hasn't changed. Most will not be making bank playing their sport of choice when they graduate.
hasn't changed for places like tech. we will still have mostly SA, but top programs will have the resources to load entire roster with NFL draft picks.

I believe it. Factory schools have large contingents of idiots who are diehard fans and get their status from being associated with the team. They get that through donating to stuff like this. I’ve seen it first hand with South Georgia uga fans. Complete hayseeds who spent their money on season tickets and travel to games. Lived in a single wide with 4 kids and had a 15 year old Tahoe that burned more oil than gas. I öööö you not. Those are the people who put money into these collectives (assuming this was a collective that obligated itself)
idc how many millionaire alumni we have, we're not winning this arms race.

Bro, never said some weren't always getting paid. But it was the high rollers doing the paying. Now Joe Fan is expected to pony up for tickets, gear, AND now cash. If you can't tell the difference, I can't help you.
joe fan has always wanted to give half his paycheck to his team, but didn't have the bag men's contact info, and wasn't going to get it because to hard to maintain trust with every joe fan and avoid ncaa sanctions. now he and all his cousins can openly give money straight to the bag men and add to what the high rollers were already giving.

joe fan has always wanted to give half his paycheck to his team, but didn't have the bag men's contact info, and wasn't going to get it because to hard to maintain trust with every joe fan and avoid ncaa sanctions. now he and all his cousins can openly give money straight to the bag men and add to what the high rollers were already giving.
This is America and a person ought to be able to send his money to anything or anybody that he wants to send it to. From the preacher man on TV to the lying politician. The only complaint I would have is that it is legally your money and that you are not giving away money that you owe me.

ESPN reporting it now. $13 million for the 27th ranked HS player is laughable

Napier has a ööööshow on his hands. Florida is about to collapse

I suspect, if it come to bankruptcy of their AA's, that the schools will move to a model that severely restricts NIL, possibly even forming a new competitive level and pulling away from the ones who are killing the sport with over-the-top NIL collectives and such. I would personally love to see this happen, but it would crack open college football, stripping the top 2-3 programs out of every conference that think they can make a go with the factories. We've always had the "factories," and we've always had the "money," subdued though it was, but this ruling has opened wide the money door and pushed the intersection of those two beyond anything recognizable as college sport. I welcome any pushback by normal college programs, personally.

Back