Who can we beat on the rest of our schedule

GTRules

You’re Mamma
We can’t even compete with P5 teams for a half. How about CGC shuts up about “improvement” until that happens?

We’re not just losing. We’re tiring out because we lack bodies. We’re getting our doors blown off by half.
No, you.

tomknight

Varsity Lurker
How many 60% completion QBs have we had since George Godsey? I'm thinking zero. Yet EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. of our starting QBs made a bowl game.

If we're having to wait on Top 25 recruiting classes to be able to even be competitive, then we're exactly what I was afraid of. I'm not ready to accept that, though.
they didn't make them 2 of the last 4 years

knoxjacket

Dodd-Like
How many 60% completion QBs have we had since George Godsey? I'm thinking zero. Yet EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. of our starting QBs made a bowl game.

If we're having to wait on Top 25 recruiting classes to be able to even be competitive, then we're exactly what I was afraid of. I'm not ready to accept that, though.
We made bowls with amazing defenses (Gailey) a great equalizer on offense (Johnson). We have a 3-9 to 7-6 quality triple option roster trying to run a different offense. This result is not surprising.

How many post 2009 teams do you think make a bowl running anything other than the 3O with the same roster? Maybe 2?

We havy navy talent trying to run Oklahoma’s offense. IIWII.

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
I haven't seen anything yet that gives me hope for the future.

You'd think they can win at least one more but I doubt it.
We aren’t winning another game because we don’t have an offensive or defensive line good enough to win. It’s not the coaching, or DB’s, or RB’s, or QB’s. We are watching a car with no tires and then wondering why it doesn’t move.

And if you haven’t seen hope for the future, we have our first QB since Joe Ham who can do it all - stand in the pocket and complete a pass while taking a lick, has a cannon, and can move the chains with his legs. We saw all of that yesterday. Not consistently because he’s a freshman and our OLine gave him no time. We also have ballers at WR. Brown is the best pure receiver we’ve had since Bebe. That over the shoulder the catch was beautiful and for a second I thought I was watching Oklahomas’s offense. Knight is going to be stud at LB. Our RB’s are a solid group.

And just on recruiting alone, you should have hope. Collins got several ballers in the short window he had after getting hired. And this current class he is putting together is legit. To believe their is no hope is ridiculous. We have more hope than most teams in the ACC. We may not win another game in 2019, but Collins will get us players. He’s done it before and I kinda liked Dwyer, Morgan Burnett, etc.

beej67

new around here
The truth is we never should have beaten South Florida. It took basically a miracle of turnovers and penalties all aligning up for us to even with that game. So thinking we can beat another ACC team with a miracle of turnovers and penalties on our side means you think someone left in the ACC Coastal is as bad as South Florida.

South Florida has an RPI of 82. BC has an 89, but they're not in our division. Miami is a 70.

We are a 130 btw.

http://realtimerpi.com/college_football/ncaaf_power_rankings_Full.html

So we would need a bigger miracle than we got against USF to beat Miami, and there's no hope vs anyone else.

FHstinger

Dodd-Like
We can’t even compete with P5 teams for a half. How about CGC shuts up about “improvement” until that happens?

We’re not just losing. We’re not tiring out because we lack bodies. We’re getting our doors blown off by half.
Why should CGC shut up about "improvement?" He knows there is no improvement, but does not care. The 404 culture man is laughing all the way to the bank with his seven year contract while sipping on his cherry coke in a styrofoam Waffle House cup. The announcers for the Duke game yesterday verified this pre-game by saying "you'd never know Coach Collins is 1-4 the way he's always smiling and upbeat".

Stupidsbury didn't do his homework. Matt Rhule is the reason Temple is good. Soon Tech will become the laughing stock of the ACC. We did get a really, really good snake oil salesman though, loaded with plenty of energy and enthusiasm every single day...

GTRules

You’re Mamma
Why should CGC shut up about "improvement?" He knows there is no improvement, but does not care. The 404 culture man is laughing all the way to the bank with his seven year contract while sipping on his cherry coke in a styrofoam Waffle House cup. The announcers for the Duke game yesterday verified this pre-game by saying "you'd never know Coach Collins is 1-4 the way he's always smiling and upbeat".

Stupidsbury didn't do his homework. Matt Rhule is the reason Temple is good. Soon Tech will become the laughing stock of the ACC. We did get a really, really good snake oil salesman though, loaded with plenty of energy and enthusiasm every single day...
Lol.

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
Lol...Matt Rhule went 1-11 in his first season at Baylor, with losses to powerhouses like Liberty and UT San Antonio. That was coming off a Baylor bowl win the season before. I’m glad the Baylor fans didn’t overreact, considering they’re now 6-0 and a top 25 team 2 years later.

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******
Lol...Matt Rhule went 1-11 in his first season at Baylor, with losses to powerhouses like Liberty and UT San Antonio. That was coming off a Baylor bowl win the season before. I’m glad the Baylor fans didn’t overreact, considering they’re now 6-0 and a top 25 team 2 years later.

johncu

Dodd-Like
We made bowls with amazing defenses (Gailey) a great equalizer on offense (Johnson). We have a 3-9 to 7-6 quality triple option roster trying to run a different offense. This result is not surprising.

How many post 2009 teams do you think make a bowl running anything other than the 3O with the same roster? Maybe 2?

We havy navy talent trying to run Oklahoma’s offense. IIWII.
Our "triple option offense" players did fine yesterday. Our receivers got separation, the running backs broke tackles and caught the ball, and Graham passed better than we have been. Even the line was respectable for much of the day. I was okay with our offensive performance and think that some of the talent we have is starting to show.

OTOH, our defense that is at least as talented as Duke's offense, got abused. That's got nothing to do with the option. We got outcoached all day.

And no, we don't have Navy talent. Let's please stop with that. In any given year, Navy has only a couple 3 star players. Our lowest recruited players are generally on par with Navy's best.

pianoman

Varsity Lurker
I'm still hopeful CGC will grow into the job, be a great recruiter and sort out whatever staff issues he has.
Having said all that, what drives me a little crazy are these deals we cut with coaches. GT takes all the risk if it doesn't work out - deals none of us would want to do in our professional/business lives.
If CGC so fervently wanted the job and a chance to HC at P5 level for the first time, could we just not hire him with some performance incentives?
He's going to come out pretty wealthy regardless of whether he wins anything at all, a huge bonanza after only two years HC experience, not at P5 level.
I just see a pattern here with GTAA contracting/hiring decisions. Feel free to correct me...maybe I'm missing something. Maybe the arms race drives schools to do stupid things, who knows.

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like
I'm still hopeful CGC will grow into the job, be a great recruiter and sort out whatever staff issues he has.
Having said all that, what drives me a little crazy are these deals we cut with coaches. GT takes all the risk if it doesn't work out - deals none of us would want to do in our professional/business lives.
If CGC so fervently wanted the job and a chance to HC at P5 level for the first time, could we just not hire him with some performance incentives?
He's going to come out pretty wealthy regardless of whether he wins anything at all, a huge bonanza after only two years HC experience, not at P5 level.
I just see a pattern here with GTAA contracting/hiring decisions. Feel free to correct me...maybe I'm missing something. Maybe the arms race drives schools to do stupid things, who knows.
Yes, we have a history of stupidity in the hiring arena. We can't compete in the arms race. We have to be smarter, big picture stuff.

18in32

Petard Hoister
Please tell me, did you expect our QBs to magically turn into 60% completion QBs in a standard offense?
Given the nature of the routes run in a 'standard offense', why not? Under CPJ it was all 'go deep and out run your single coverage.' In a 'standard offense' we're supposed to get more crossing routes and curls and screens, all of which are shorter throws under less pressure – so of course the completion rate should go up significantly. No magic needed.

18in32

Petard Hoister
The truth is we never should have beaten South Florida. It took basically a miracle of turnovers and penalties all aligning up for us to even with that game.
During last week's presser, I was disappointed that after CGC agreed with Kelly that we'd had really bad luck in our losses, he disagreed when Kelly said we'd gotten lucky with the goal-line fumble against USF – CGC interrupted to say we'd earned that turnover. You can't have it both ways.

Vespidie

Dodd-Like
Todays game featured incremental steps forward for Tech followed by major steps back. It’s been that way all season. Poor Coaching.....Plain and Simple! For example against The Citadel a SA mentioned having a bad week of practice....Having a bad week of practice (The Citadel Game) when you haven’t played 5 minutes of good football yet is inexcusable. Lack of discipline, bad clock management, questionable personnel decisions, and an inattention to detail at a level that we haven’t seen in over a decade.

Georgia Tech needs a coach not a hype man with his ridiculous ABOVE THE LINE junk! What kind of millennial "everyone gets a trophy" crap it that? The offense looks lost (Even with JG starting two straight games) and the defense looked confused and its all because there's different guys on both sides of the ball for each and every down. There is no consistency from one week to another with this ATL bull and it makes it difficult for the players to grow together with a revolving door at each position. Don't try to reinvent the wheel. I've never seen a team with show so much lack of discipline.
Let me throw a monkey into the wrench for a moment, and I know it may sound crazy by ST standards, but maybe the staff actually realizes that there really are shortcomings that can't be overcome with the current roster as it is, and they are actually evaluating guys in live game action.

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like
Given the nature of the routes run in a 'standard offense', why not? Under CPJ it was all 'go deep and out run your single coverage.' In a 'standard offense' we're supposed to get more crossing routes and curls and screens, all of which are shorter throws under less pressure – so of course the completion rate should go up significantly. No magic needed.
Except you still need a competent QB, competent receivers and an OL that can effectively pass block. I see none of these elements. I do agree coaching doesn't seem to adapt well to the talent we do have but that would probably involve running the veer again.

Anyway, we can argue this until we're blue in the face and never agree. My point is if this were so easy to transition from TO to standard offense, then why did every football analyst in the nation pick us to be horrible this year? The answer is because it is an extremely hard and ugly transition. Anybody who can't forgive this year is just too much of a PJ homer.

Vespidie

Dodd-Like
This is either one of the funniest troll posts in all of college football message boards, or you have a serious misunderstanding of Citadel and Temples talent levels.

What I see week in and week out is bad coaching, poor discipline, and a complete lack of motivation.
Regarding Temple, last I saw was they are 5-1, 2 of their wins coming against Top 25 teams at the time. Someone was partially responsible for getting Temple's talent level to a point where they had the talent to defeat those ranked foes. :crazy:

thegtstunner08

Earl of Cheap Seats and Cold Pizza
Did you really expect a bowl season this year? You have unrealistic expectations if you do. The offensive line is trying to pass block when they average 270 lbs! That's on PJ. Love him and appreciate what he did but these are his players. It's going to take a few years to be competitive. Plain and simple. Sit back and enjoy uga chocking as usual. It's going to be ok.