Coach O'Leary sighting

Re: Coach O\'Leary sighting

I must admit I never in all my life saw GOL "sitting"; I did see a sight or two: and love every moment except the time he rejected my hand and waved to a "big-time" contributor. But I don't want to go there.
Not seeing a "sitting", I did see a "jerking" on national t.v. when he yanked the head phones off of our D.B. from N.J.==== kind of hurt me that night, to be truthful. I loved GOL, but if he had stayed on instead of playing "footsie" with Notre Dame (early in the season) and had not shuffled his staff; he would not have been here past the following year if that: Okay: "Nail set, ready for Hammer!!!!!!!!
grin.gif

Originally posted by ncjacket:
So if I get this now.

1) you supported Curry until he started to lose. Then decided he couldn't coach and never supported him again. I guess 9 wins in 85 didn't change your mind?
2) You supported Ross until he started to lose, then when he started to win you changed your mind.
3) You haven't mentioned Lewis, but I assume you must have supported him until he started to lose.
3) You supported George until he started to lose then when he started to win you changed your mind.
4) You supported Chan until he lost some games you thought he shouldn't have. But you have now given up on him. But you do hold out hope that you will change your mind if he starts to win.

Did I get that right? I'm a little different. I liked Curry from the first time I met him. I don't think he was a great coach by any means, but nobody goes 9-2 at Tech if they can't coach. Ross was great hire IMO but he wasted his first 2 years. We should never have been that bad. I thought Lewis was a mistake from the start. Maybe from seeing him up close at ECU. I hoped I was wrong but wasn't. I was worried about O'Leary but felt it had to be better than Lewis. I really felt we should have hired Fridge if we were going to hire one of Ross' old assistants. Not saying I'm a genious and knew how good he would be, just always liked him better.

That brings us to Chan. I was surprised by the hire. He's not my ideal candidate but I am impressed by his football knowledge. I was disappointed numerous times last year but also felt we had the most screwy season with injuries and illness I've seen since about 1975. Add to that the backlash from resume gate that we started with and I'm not surprised we underperformed. I thought he made a mistake keeping any of the old staff. Coaches need their own team in place IMO, nothing against any particular coach. BOB's inexperience hurt, not in playcalling, but in coaching QBs especially inexperienced ones (see the recent Bilbo article for more). We had some very good games, and some really lousy ones.

I guess the difference in me and you is you have a very short fuse and reserve the right to change your mind back and forth. I don't. When I decide I've pretty much decided. But I take the time to make sure why I feel the way I do. I don't know enough about Gailey yet to make a judgement. And don't trot out the HR stuff again. I have been hiring and firing for 24 years, as well as negotiating contracts face to face. I know a thing or two about reading people myself.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You asked me about how I hire and do I support and when does the support start - I answered you!

I never went back and forth about coaches - Curry had one - i repeat one good season - '85 and yes I do know him well and nice guy but overall at GT he accomplished nothing and I wanted him gone long before '85. Robert Lavette saved Bill because he made coming to GT games back then exciting just to see him play on offense. Robert had some great rushing wars against Hershcel. Bill Curry was not in my favor.

I gave you a good hint about Ross and what I thought there and you didn't read it - and I actually told you in a previous post - if you want to email about Ross - we as a family have a connection to his tenure here - but you chose to go over that. Ross was good fot GT and I knew some internal stuff he came up against with players because of our connection - he did not inherit a good situation under his conditions! If you want a straight answer I would be more then happy to give it you in a private email.

O'Leary - this is one of the guys I wanted when Ross left, either him or Ralph and GT messed up! I looked forward to him coming back because he knew the innerworkings and I believed him to be a good coach. He had junk to contend with - a lot worse then Chan. I gave him his just do after the LEWIS DEBACLE. That scenario caused the next coach to have to start all over! I saw improvements every year here and liked what I saw - but I know how we had gone down to oblivion with Lewis. If I hadn't seen the improvements I saw - I would have felt no different.

Do I favor any coach no - do I give some a little more slack then others - some and that was O'Leary because of what he came back to and what the catastrophic situation that was here.

Ross gained favor when I found out some things and O'Leary had A MONUMENTOUS JOB. I look at Chan's losses and maybe except for UGAG those other games were all winnable with the talent GT had and the injuries! We matched up with everyone except UGAG. So, I'm not coming from a place of tangents or silliness ... I'm coming from watching, listening, seeing and ultimately digesting what's in front of me.

The academic fiasco is another story but that was not a part of the on field performance of 2002! I have reiterated these points many times here but because I say I don't like him - everybody looks over the points and goes for the jugular!

Dang!!!!!!!NCJacket: You gave me the laugh of the night:

1. Cause it was appropo

2. Cause it was downrite funnie

3. Cause I have often phelt that way
wink.gif

Ghost, if you have read this far, I think you and I deserve kudos for the civilized way in which we have carried out our "gay 'marriage'" debate.

While she doesn't have to support Chan.....she damn sure does not need to run him down every chance she gets. The "fact" that she takes virtually every opportunity to take shots at Chan in my book is not supporting GT. She has become the female version of Beeware!!!

Hey belly: I love you brother you and I see i to i
except "presidential wise": but to line me up with the "gost" in any way is an insult. you yeller dawg demo!!!!!

Originally posted by techsamillion:
Hey belly: I love you brother you and I see i to i
except "presidential wise": but to line me up with the "gost" in any way is an insult. you yeller dawg demo!!!!!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Techs, I am completely mystified by the intent of your post. I can feel the love, but lining you up with "gost"? I don't get it. (And weren't you the one calling for a spellchecker?)

Have a good evening, brother, and don't worry, I'd never confuse you with bdg.

Hey, the love is there Belly:
and yes I did call foe the spelcheker. lol
wink.gif

Lining me up with "gost"....mmmmmmm,, well!!!
smile.gif

Hey, belly, read to quickly, spoke to swiftly:

BAd,
Bad,
Please forgive,
Your ever-loving admirer,
Techs

Hey folks:

A little levity seams to always liten up the tinchun........If yu want to keep it up, okay......if not....that is ok as well...I just hope I can resist joining in. I always get the shor ind of any "fiting dicsuuson!!!!! so I have lirned to avoid......other wise.....let's git it on!!!!!!

MsTA, you just proved mine and BOR's point about understanding the posts. Your answer was nowhere near the gist of my post.

Father Time

Maam, I apologize for any remarks unbecoming a gentleman.

Now, I promise to NOT ridicule HR people in EVERY post I make if you permanently refrain from associating the hire and retention of a great football coach with a Human Resource decision. How many $900k base salary jobs do you know of that came down to the decision of HR?...
Thats what I thought. Although, this thread could be a great inspiration for the folks that write those "Holiday Inn Express" commercials.

I can't speak for those that are pulling their hair out over you, because I do not think I have met them personally, but for me it is so frustrating to try to deal with a person that has a "because I said so" mentality.

You say "my daggers are coming out, and I really thought more of you". Well guess what, Ms T., I was right about you. You have tried to keyhole me as a detractor of Gailey regardless of what I have said on here. If you would read em all, under my current log in as well as Lucky Jacket, you will see that I initially was against Chan last season. The uncovering of the unbelievable
mismanagement and ineptness of Dave Braine has logically driven me to give Chan a chance (Hey, great slogan idea)to prove himself. My feeling on BOB's negative energy last year is documented too.
I AM NOT giving Chan the deed to the ranch. He however, does deserve the opportunity to run this program as he sees fit, without the interference from The Idiot for at least this year. With the early commits he is getting, I am inclined to BELIEVE that he may truly get it, and be the guy we (scratch that. I meant Tech fans) need.

Finally, you say you are behind the team, but you are not behind Chan. You just do not get it.
If you really think that the head coach is merely an employee of the school, and not part of the TEAM, there is no hope in trying to communicate with you.
You support the players,but not the leadership of these 18-22 yo young men? Tell that to all of the Yellow Jackets and their parents.

This is not a discussion about the second shift supervisor at a sausage factory.
pat.gif

Dang, Cool!!!!!, You are right on brother!!!!!
I line up with you....!!!!!!!!!
smile.gif

This has been one of the most hilarious threads I have read on Stingtalk.

MsTA, I will have to apologize to you. You are either one of the smartest women I have encountered with your replies, or either you have no clue and can't help it.

I am sitting here scratching my head trying to figure out what is going on here!

This is really frustrating!

Father Time

Hey, let's get real ugly......MsTa...are you Civil Service????? Sorry for all the hard working civil servants that AGREE WITH ME IN EVERY WORD, THOUGHT,
DEED, just (semi) kidding!!!!??????
wink.gif

Won't sombody put a wooden stake thru this thread's heart????

Love you '71, but read it or pass over it; 99% of us did not start it; just answered!
smile.gif

So what is the record for posts on a thread anyway? I can probably piss somebody else off if we need to keep it going.
blue.gif

Back