Official argue about the old coach thread

Curry was 2-19-1 his first two years with what Pepper left him from the wishbone.
Actually, it is not that simple. Pepper went away from the bone for a year, so it was softer in an era when the differences in offense were not so stark.

Curry's issues had more to do with injuries, plus a polar opposite style coach taking over.

We gave him the time he needed to get his team. He had some good and bad, and was hired away by Bama.

The surprising thing is the volume of guys in their last year not the record.

Gailey for comparison:
- faced 9 coaches in their first year (1.5 per year). He was 6-3 against them.
- faced 5 coaches in their last year (.7 per year). He was 5-0 against them.

33-29 against coaches in that in between state.

Johnson was facing twice as many teams in that transitional state a year as Gailey did before him.

Three of those were Richt. Got Dabo and Cut in yr 1. UNC coaches coming and going twice. Uva x2.

Pitt had about 100 coaches.

Some of us actually want to do better than CPJ or Chan or Ross or Curry.

I really think O'Leary would have gotten us there. It is a damn shame Notre Dame ööööed us over by hiring him away.

I think O'Leary could have done it too. But after Ralph left, he looked mortal.

Yeah, UCF was a different job than Tech. He laid the foundation down there pretty solid.
Easier school, one of the largest enrollments in the nation, but it would be like building Kennesaw State into a FBS team capable of beating UGAg and Auburn. I think he beat Oklahoma too, iirc

Three of those were Richt. Got Dabo and Cut in yr 1. UNC coaches coming and going twice. Uva x2.

Pitt had about 100 coaches.

Well that is the point. Our opposition was employing a bunch of has-beens and busts. Jimbo, Dabo, and Great Clips being the exceptions.

Well that is the point. Our opposition was employing a bunch of has-beens and busts. Jimbo, Dabo, and Great Clips being the exceptions.

I think it is more of a change in the game. I’ll bet the average tenure of a coach has dropped significantly across football. I’m stunned that NCSt has held onto their coach so long despite winning nothing of note.

Don’t forget the asterisk: 4 of those wins were with players Gailey recruited.
Ah, I see.

We can't count wins for CPJ because they weren't "his players", and we can't count losses for CGC because they weren't "his players".

This is quite a setup we've got going on here.

How about we just say you are what your record says you are?

Ah, I see.

We can't count wins for CPJ because they weren't "his players", and we can't count losses for CGC because they weren't "his players".

It only counts when you transition out of the option

Ah, I see.

You obviously want to ignore the bounty Gailey/Smith/Collìns handed Johnson anď ignore the Bad News Bears that Johnsòn handed Collins but it is real and significant. But it does not fit your agenda.

We will get there but development takes time when you start at zero. The only thing that will stop the rebuild and getting a top program again is ìnpatient stupidity.

The “your players” excuse is out the window year three.

Johnson went .500ish year three and he was a .500ish kind of coach. If Collins doesn’t have a winning record this year he’ll probably be a losing coach.

The “your players” excuse is out the window year three.

Johnson went .500ish year three and he was a .500ish kind of coach. If Collins doesn’t have a winning record this year he’ll probably be a losing coach.

Nah, this year is going to be as weird as last year. Teams like Pitt/Wake/NCSt are going to over perform due to the super seniors. We have enough talent to evaluate the staff though.

Back