Vad is gone! Transferring

You're right. This is exactly what happened. Paul Johnson knowingly sabotaged his own offense because it wasn't run out of the flexbone formation.

I love the sarcasm, but did you watch the VT game? That's exactly what happened. Bud Foster was geared up to stop his base offense (see the WOLB timing the snap every play) and Paul Johnson absolutely refused to go away from it.

Heck, look at the quote from the Duke game, which we won 38-14: ""I don't know if we ever got into a rhythm. I probably didn't do a great job of calling plays. I think we jumped around too much." I can't find a quote after the NC game, but it was something along the lines of "We can't run our base offense, and we're going to simplify things".

We spent spring and fall practice on the Diamond and Pistol. The Diamond we never saw much of after Duke. The Pistol we rarely saw other than obvious passing situations. This despite some quotes that clearly indicate that our coaching staff told recruits that we would do more of what the Redskins and 49ers are doing.

I really hope I'm reading too much into this and we aren't about to see some sort of mass exodus.

You know this how? It's amazing how much is suddenly "known" about the situation once the golden child packs his bags.

Vad is from the Raleigh/Durham area where I live. His recruitment was heavily covered locally. Both because he was a local product and because he was recruited by NCSU and UNC.

I posted this on another thread. Check out this tweet sent out by the NC State Scout Twitter feed.

Pack Pride@PackPride 41s
Wish Vad Lee the best at his next school. Remember during his recruiment he commented that GT said they were changing the offense.

Vad is a really talented kid. He just didn't have what CPJ wanted or needed for his TO to work the way he (CPJ) sees it in his mind. Put Vad in a spread option offense with just average pass blocking and he will be very effective.

I wish Vad much success. He gave GT his best shot.

Vad is a really talented kid. He just didn't have what CPJ wanted or needed for his TO to work the way he (CPJ) sees it in his mind. Put Vad in a spread option offense with just average pass blocking and he will be very effective.

I wish Vad much success. He gave GT his best shot.

I hope Vad does find a college offense he is comfortable in. He definitely wasn't smooth in the base option, and didn't look comfortable in the pistol or diamond formations either. CPJ spent most of the last year and a half looking for a scheme that fit the team (not just Vad) and that Vad could run well; but he couldn't find one. There was a demonstrated desire on CPJ's part to change up the offense this year; but the player(s) just didn't seem to grasp the concepts. Hopefully Vad will find a situation that matches his skills and ability. There is a new coach at Alabama A&M this year, it might be a good place for Vad to try and make a new start against lesser competition.

Vad is from the Raleigh/Durham area where I live. His recruitment was heavily covered locally. Both because he was a local product and because he was recruited by NCSU and UNC.

I posted this on another thread. Check out this tweet sent out by the NC State Scout Twitter feed.

Pack Pride@PackPride 41s
Wish Vad Lee the best at his next school. Remember during his recruiment he commented that GT said they were changing the offense.

That's great; it doesn't tell the whole story. From what I've seen, we did mix in more pistol and spread option. However, I doubt he was told the entire offense would be changed to suit him and there were likely stipulations made regarding the base set. Opening up the playbook and completely retooling without the base set are two completely different conversations.

Vad Lee averaged 2.8 yards per rush this year. Can anyone find a triple option offense in HISTORY that averaged 35 points per game when their QB only averaged 2.8 yards per rush?

Georgia Tech went 7-6 IN SPITE of Vad's inability to run the offense. He was a bust. I was on the bandwagon, but it bothered me that he just never improved running the option. After the Ole Miss game, I'm just convinced he doesn't have it. Maybe he can be a spread QB, but he's going to have to GREATLY IMPROVE his accuracy (45.6% completion)

Wow, reading through this thread shows me how ignorant most of you guys are.

Yes, PJ isn't a great coach, but Vad is not a great player either. He was WAY overhyped. He will be forgotten in a few years. If he's lucky, he might make an NFL practice squad, but I highly, highly doubt it. He isn't athletic. He has many problems with decision making - he can't read a secondary to save his life, he can't even make the right option reads, and he obviously had problems deciding whether or not he wanted to stay.

Vad Lee is a good guy off the field. I see him having a major positive impact on many people's lives outside of sports. I was proud to have him representing GT, but he was never a good match with our offense. I see him going to an FCS or lower tier FBS school and playing mediocre football. It's a shame that he will be throwing away a GT degree, but I'm glad that the Vad Lee experiment is over. We need new blood at QB. Vad was never going to work out.

Yes, PJ isn't a great coach, but Vad is not a great player either. He was WAY overhyped. He will be forgotten in a few years. If he's lucky, he might make an NFL practice squad, but I highly, highly doubt it. He isn't athletic. He has many problems with decision making - he can't read a secondary to save his life, he can't even make the right option reads, and he obviously had problems deciding whether or not he wanted to stay.

Vad Lee is a good guy off the field. I see him having a major positive impact on many people's lives outside of sports. I was proud to have him representing GT, but he was never a good match with our offense. I see him going to an FCS or lower tier FBS school and playing mediocre football. It's a shame that he will be throwing away a GT degree, but I'm glad that the Vad Lee experiment is over. We need new blood at QB. Vad was never going to work out.

At least someone gets it.

PJ made changes in the O and tried to tailor plays to VL's strengths; he gave him every chance and every start and Vad showed little improvement. I hate it didn't work out, but it was time for a change.

Vad would have graduated next December. I hate for him to throw away the degree from GT to go play at JMU. Not a knock on JMU but it just doesn't compare to a GT degree. Some guys never make the transition from high school star to playing at a high level in college. Vad was hyped up to be the savior. Snoddy was supposed to be better than Dwyer. Neither one has made a huge impact on GT football. I wish him luck and success next year.

Snoddy better than Dwyer?

BS. Nobody has ever said that and if you can show it to me, TaxJacket will drink BOR's piss at a tailgate next year.

Pack Pride@PackPride 41s

Let the negative recruiting begin.....CPJ has told recruits that he will change his offense based on their talents (he points to his Hawaii pass-happy days). Lies, all lies.

After CPJ gets canned next year, will another FBS program give him a shot? Maybe FCS?

I contend that a lot of his problems originated with the ööööty O-line and blocking of backs/Wide receivers. It's hard to do anything when you have a defender in your face the moment you snap the ball.

He's not Vince Young, but I dont think he was given the tools necessary to reach his full potential.

Let the negative recruiting begin.....CPJ has told recruits that he will change his offense based on their talents (he points to his Hawaii pass-happy days). Lies, all lies.

After CPJ gets canned next year, will another FBS program give him a shot? Maybe FCS?

The Coast Guard Academy?

Blame Paul Johnson for calling the plays. Blame him for recruiting the kid and putting him in. Blame him for sticking with him for whatever reason. But it's not Paul Johnson's fault that my enduring memory of the Vad Lee season will be one of Vad chucking a wounded duck off of his back foot into no man's land and having it end up biting us in the ass.

I wish the kid luck, our school isn't for everybody.

Man, this is awful. Vad having two years left was one of the only things still giving me optimism.

Wow, really? I was a bit worried that we wouldn't finally see Justin Thomas because Vad would hang around so long. I'm actually more optimistic now.

That's not to say that Vad is a bad guy or anything. I appreciate the effort he put in to the program, and wish him the best of luck. But this, to me, is about like Reggie Ball transferring.

I contend that a lot of his problems originated with the ööööty O-line and blocking of backs/Wide receivers. It's hard to do anything when you have a defender in your face the moment you snap the ball.

Without question.

However, his refusal to step up into the pocket, reluctance to take a hit, and continuing to throw off of his back foot indicates internal issues as well as o-line protection problems.

Wasn't the oline decimated with injuries this year? I saw a ton of missed blocks this year too by the backs. The TO requires execution of all 11 players to work well.

I wish Vad well. However, you could almost sense Vad didn't want to be out there. As far as being a great passer, what games were y'all watching. Vad has poor mechanics. Throwing off your back foot is asking for failure !!

Wasn't the oline decimated with injuries this year? I saw a ton of missed blocks this year too by the backs. The TO requires execution of all 11 players to work well.

I wish Vad well. However, you could almost sense Vad didn't want to be out there. As far as being a great passer, what games were y'all watching. Vad has poor mechanics. Throwing off your back foot is asking for failure !!

Every OL has injuries every year. GT's OL was nowhere near decimated, just terrible.

A few random thoughts.

1. It's interesting that most now feel that CPJ was right to play Tevin last year instead of Vad but it seems that fewer use the same logic and think that JT gave us a better chance this year than Vad.

2. If you are the coach that recruits the player it is your job to either teach them your system good enough to have success or modify your system to make them successful. The only other option is to play someone else.

3. When CPJ came a big concern was the ability to recruit in the system. At the time I believed that the early success was going to negate this concern. He could point out 2 RBs, Receivers along with defensive players who went on to success in the NFL having played in and practiced against his system. Unfortunately that didn't pan out. Somewhat similar to the recruiting classes the 2 years after the 90 MNC. I recall a recruiting guru at the time saying that no school never got less out of a MNC I feel the same about the Orange Bowl. I understand all of the issues that we face from a recruiting standpoint but the fact is he has been unable to recruit a stud running back to a system which does nothing but run. Our last 1,000 yrd rusher was Ant Allen.

Well, at least we can all finally agree with 100% certainty that next season is the make-or-break year with Paul. There are zero reasons to keep him around if the train jumps the tracks early.

If he's fired mid next season, he's owed $7.768 M. If he's fired at the end of next season, he's owed $5.255 M.

Can GT afford to pay $4 M/yr to Hewitt and Johnson plus cover two other coaching salaries through 2016?

Back