Vad is gone! Transferring

If he's fired mid next season, he's owed $7.768 M. If he's fired at the end of next season, he's owed $5.255 M.

Can GT afford to pay $4 M/yr to Hewitt and Johnson plus cover two other coaching salaries through 2016?

Like with Hewitt you could also ask can they afford not to. Typically there is a settlement negotiated which may not be for the total amount but you never know. Money is obviously a concern.

If he's fired mid next season, he's owed $7.768 M. If he's fired at the end of next season, he's owed $5.255 M.

Can GT afford to pay $4 M/yr to Hewitt and Johnson plus cover two other coaching salaries through 2016?

GT is already $200+ Million in debt, what is 5 or 7 more? Also, we can definitely afford it if we go to the Big 10.

Vad is from the Raleigh/Durham area where I live. His recruitment was heavily covered locally. Both because he was a local product and because he was recruited by NCSU and UNC.

I posted this on another thread. Check out this tweet sent out by the NC State Scout Twitter feed.

Pack Pride@PackPride 41s
Wish Vad Lee the best at his next school. Remember during his recruiment he commented that GT said they were changing the offense.

Obvious nc state troll. Ban

Typically there is a settlement negotiated which may not be for the total amount but you never know. Money is obviously a concern.

Why would a coach negotiate down his guaranteed buyout? The only thing that would make sense for CPJ is to negotiate from an annual payment to a lump sum payment. But given that it's only a few years in the future, I doubt he's willing to take a big cut for the time value of money (maybe $100k).

I thought next year and his senior year was going to be a coming out party for Vad so the fact that he is transferring bums me out. BUT! Watching the bowl games and seeing qbs like mariota and manziel left me thinking that we need a faster qb, so let's go JT!!

Vad made so many mis-reads and was just too slow in his decision making. There was a play in the bowl game where it was Vad and an a-back against one defender and he didn't force the issue with the defender and ended up getting taken down. The qb has to force that players hand to make a decision(take qb in this case) and then dish the ball. GT needs a guy willing to sacrifice, take the hit and dish the ball.

There was a play in the bowl game where it was Vad and an a-back against one defender and he didn't force the issue with the defender and ended up getting taken down. The qb has to force that players hand to make a decision(take qb in this case) and then dish the ball.
It's this and many other similar instances that make me believe the scheme has little to do with the problems VL was having.

Why would a coach negotiate down his guaranteed buyout? The only thing that would make sense for CPJ is to negotiate from an annual payment to a lump sum payment. But given that it's only a few years in the future, I doubt he's willing to take a big cut for the time value of money (maybe $100k).

The other case I could see it is if the guaranteed cash decreases based on another salary (i.e. if CPJ is guaranteed $2.6 M/yr - his salary from any other school) and he has a job lined up to make major money at a different school. In that case, it would make sense for him to negotiate to a lower amount (say $1M/yr) then pick up the salary from the other school on top of that.

The problems with this one:
A. Is CPJ's contract structured this way?
B. Is it likely that he will pick up a HC position at a BCS school willing to pay him enough for this to matter (it's doubtful that a ~$500k/yr salary at a place like Hawaii would be enough to justify modifying the contract)
C. If GT knew he had a legitimate shot at another college paying 7 figures, why not hold him to the original contract and pay less?

The problems with this one:
A. Is CPJ's contract structured this way?
B. Is it likely that he will pick up a HC position at a D1 school willing to pay him enough for this to matter (it's doubtful that a ~$500k/yr salary at a place like Hawaii would be enough to justify modifying the contract)
C. If GT knew he had a legitimate shot at another college paying 7 figures, why not hold him to the original contract and pay less?
a. No, if he is fired his pay is guaranteed for the duration of the contract regardless.
b. No big school is going to hire him (even as an OC) in the foreseeable future. Maybe some FCS schools would hire him where 200k would be the norm.
c. Not sure what you mean here but see point a.

I had expressed a strong opinion earlier that I felt Vad Lee was a bit of a prima donna who gave up on the offense when he felt it wasn't working. When it worked it was his talent and when it didn't it was the offense'is fault.

I think this is always the fine line you walk with today's players in any offensive system. There will always be credit and blame and people will dish it out unfairly in favor of the coach because they are usually the most constant part of a college program.

I think he (like many of the 2007 players in my opinion) takes it very hard that the conversations are always about Pj and his offense rather than the execution and abilities of the players. It's one aspect of CPJ I think needs to change. He needs to avoid getting bogged down in those comments about the offense and give more credit to the players. The talented kids like to hear how great they're doing nowadays. All this being said it saddens me that Vad felt his best option was to leave GT. I hope it leads him where he wants.

A JMU business degree isn't actually that bad of a degree. They're pretty reputable for it around here, but it's no GT obviously. I'm pretty sure they run a lot of triple option though...but they may have fired that coach.

It's this and many other similar instances that make me believe the scheme has little to do with the problems VL was having.

I don't want to bash the guy(I'm glad he played for us and it stinks he won't get a degree from such a great school) but he didn't have the wiggle and juking capability this offense needs from a running back perspective. I was hoping that we would open up the passing game(maybe this wasn't going to happen?) and he would eventually ball out but maybe he knew we weren't.

I was thinking this last night---Do we even teach a 7 step drop?!

If CPJ gets canned and decides to keep coaching, he will land somewhere in the FBS. There are plenty of schools who are willing to pay him for Navy levels of success, and he can achieve it in most places. He might not land at an AQ or even a big independent, but there are 120+ schools in the FBS and only 60 or so of them really have anything to lose with a mediocre coaching hire.

a. No, if he is fired his pay is guaranteed for the duration of the contract regardless.

Everything else is a moot point. There's no reason for CPJ to negotiate down the payout unless it's a small amount to move a 2015 and 2016 payment to 2014.

b. No big school is going to hire him (even as an OC) in the foreseeable future. Maybe some FCS schools would hire him where 200k would be the norm.

I could see a mid-major conference picking him up. In conferences with talent parity, his scheme could be the difference between playing in a bowl or not.

Anybody blaming Vad for transferring is completely off base.

He was lied to during his recruitment by being promised that the offense would be changed to fit his talents. When that didn't happen, he left.

Don't blame the kid, blame the coach.

not only are you a complete dumbass, but you seem to try your best at any occasion to crap on the GT program and make whatever up to support your cause and plain lie about things to make yourself seem right

everything you posted here is false. let me repeat, you are a dumbass

Good Luck Vad. I didn't think the offense fitted you well and I personally think you are making a good decision, assuming that effort was made by you to make adjustments internally for yourself. Yoiu won a few ball games for us and I am grateful for you giving your effort.

As to PJ, he could go to Wake or Vandy (normally) or Duke (normally) or Nebraska (possibly) or Indiana or Illinois or Purdue, etc. in a heartbeat.

He's not going anywhere. There is a new commitment being made to the triple option.

A JMU business degree isn't actually that bad of a degree. They're pretty reputable for it around here, but it's no GT obviously. I'm pretty sure they run a lot of triple option though...but they may have fired that coach.

For the record, Vad was an HTS major at Tech. He wasn't/isn't going to get a business degree at either school.

Actually a Poly Sci degree must not be that bad either. My daughter got a Poly Sci degree from JMU and it got her into the MBA program at the Booth School at the University of Chicago. She graduated from Chicago BTW.

I feel bad for Vad. He obviously had high hopes coming here and for whatever reason it didn't work out. By all accounts I've read and seen he seems like a fine young man. I wish him well wherever he goes.

Back